Ladies - do you gain weight during YTOTM?

Options
So I got my period on Saturday and didn't quite eat as well as I could have (but that bacon cheeseburger was so good!). I also felt bloated and gross which, of course, is normal.

I'm just curious... do you gain weight during your period (whether or not you eat well), and about how much?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    5-7 lbs each and every time. Really happy all that is behind me now.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Every time. 3-6 lbs depending on how badly I give into cravings too.
  • revolucia78
    revolucia78 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes, the weight that I gain actually varies. It will fluctuate day to day up one or two, down one or two, but every time my cycle is done it goes back down again. I weigh myself everyday (I don't log it everyday though) so I try not to weigh myself at the beginning of my cycle or when I feel especially bloated but if I do, I just usually know it's not actual gain.
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every time. Usually around 1-2lb for me.
  • Abbigator3
    Abbigator3 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Definitely! Personally it's usually bloating so I know it will pass. Can gain anywhere from 2-4kg. This is with a consistent diet. Drinking plenty of water/herbal tea with main meals seems to help in subduing any gastrointestinal pains and help the bloating pass...
    Now can't stop thinking about bacon cheeseburgers.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Abbigator3 wrote: »

Sorry!

OK, so assuming what you're gaining is because you're bloated and not because of what you've eaten (bacon cheeseburgers aside), does that weight come back off on its own after a few days? I don't think I've ever consistently weighed myself every day before, during, and after a period.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    303lissy wrote: »
    Abbigator3 wrote: »

Sorry!

OK, so assuming what you're gaining is because you're bloated and not because of what you've eaten (bacon cheeseburgers aside), does that weight come back off on its own after a few days? I don't think I've ever consistently weighed myself every day before, during, and after a period.

For me it came right back off.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The weekend before my period starts I'm up 3-8 pounds. I am pretty good at making my cravings (what ones I have) fit my calories, so by the following weekend (the weekend after my period) my weight is back to normal because it's primarily water weight.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm up about 2# every month. For me, it comes off in 10 days or so, some women have it dropping off faster.
  • Ani2bfit
    Ani2bfit Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Glad to know its not just me. I gain about 5lbs and it will be gone 2 days after.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Always...
  • PrairieChicken84
    PrairieChicken84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Always about 4-5 lbs and it takes about a week after for it to go away again. It's frustrating!
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    On the scale I don't gain much (maybe half a pound), but I don't lose either, no matter how much of a calorie deficit I might achieve through CICO. But once my period starts, I drop 2-3 pounds pretty quickly as my body finally "lets go" and accepts the CICO deficit. The key for me is to avoid sodium as much as possible in the week leading up to my period.
  • vivrevotrevie
    vivrevotrevie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I actually see the opposite. I think it might have more to do with the hormonal BC I am on. I notice my weight tends to fluctuate down a few pounds during that week, then usually goes back to the previous week's weight after it is done.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I never gain any weight. I also don't get cravings. If anything I'm less hungry, especially when I have cramps. I always thought that was normal until I started reading posts like this one.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I gain one pound the day before, hold on to that pound regardless of all the calorie deficit and exercises I do for about 4 days then it all comes off and I get back to my usual weight loss curve. I use a different app to track my weight and you can tell just by looking at the curve when my TOTM is.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I really don't notice much of a weight gain during that time since my weight fluctuates between 1 to 3 lbs normally.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the pattern I found after weighing myself daily for a month and keeping my diet fairly much constant (slight deficit).

a43twnlm3o6h.jpg

A decrease in progesterone is the signal your body uses to trigger your monthly cycle. There's bloating immediately afterwards and then the weight slowly decreases over the coming days. If I stick to the deficit throughout I end up lighter at the end of the month than I did at the beginning.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    last time i gained half a kilo. a week later the scale showed i had lost 1.7kg or so. it's just bloating so i'm fine with it as long as it goes away later.
  • sphinxmum
    sphinxmum Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Definitely! All this water weight is bloating..weighed myself in at 61.8 in the beginning of my cycle just 4 days ago, today I'm 59.2 kg:) it would all appear to be water weight