Loosing weight in "Chunks"?

Options
Anyone else loose weight in chunks, meaning like 10 # increments then just maintain there for a while. Seems like that is what I am doing and this 10 # mark is taking me forever to get off.

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'll drop very quickly over a few weeks, then maintain for a few months. I downloaded the Libra scale app last week to track weight loss as a trend, just to see what the trend was.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I use 10# blocks as rolling mini goals. It's nice to focus on 160-150 vs a larger gap. I don't do any maintaining in between. Make sure you are adjusting your calorie deficit as it drops every 10 pounds or so.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Yes especially if it's water weight. Say I'm targeting 1 lb a week but lose 3 lbs in my first week due to water weight loss. That tends to mean I'll go through two more weeks of not losing any weight before I start losing again. Like my body knows and makes the numbers match up eventually.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes I lost like that too. In the beginning 8 lbs then as time went on the drop became smaller, now it is maybe two lbs over a couple of days. In between I stay very consistently at the same weight. It's what is generally called a whoosh and lots of people.lose weight like that.
    In those cases apps like mfp and Libra/trendweight are super useful. I always knew I was in a deficit it was just a matter of time before the weight went down again. And looking back over Libra will show you that it's normal for you and you just have to wait it out. Once I realized that I was actually always really looking forward to the whoosh times.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This might be TMI, but yes, I know when I start constantly peeing for a couple of days, I'm about to drop 2 or 3 more lbs. MFP has me set at 1900 calories a day to lose .5 lbs. a week, but I've lost 4 lbs. over the last month and I think it's because I tend to drop water weight a couple of pounds at a time. I might go a month after that before I go down any more. It's just how I've always been. Lose it in big chunks and then stay the same for awhile.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Yep - more like two pound chunks, but chunks just the same. I go the restroom more, get cranky and moody, get cold (shivery cold), and can see the drop physically on my body just before it comes. So strange.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's often called a "whoosh" and it's how I always lose. Although mine aren't anywhere near 10 lbs :)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Sure. I'm having my post-TOM whoosh right now. -3kg in two days. Yay for water retention!

It is pretty hilarious to watch on the scale, though.
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Yep - more like two pound chunks, but chunks just the same. I go the restroom more, get cranky and moody, get cold (shivery cold), and can see the drop physically on my body just before it comes. So strange.

Exact same here! My next whoosh should get me down to my goal weight, which will be really nice.

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    This is how I lose weight as well, the number will stay the same each day for a while then woosh a new nice lower number!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am on maintenance now, but I did this also.
    I lost over 1/2 of my current body weight. I noticed very early on, that in 10# increments of weight loss (like from 210 to 200, the top 5 pounds would come off in a "whoosh", the next 5# a lot slower. This occurred all the way down to my current weight. Very strange, but that is exactly how it dropped.