Energy...

Options
I just started working out again after a couple of years off and hip Surgery 8 months ago and knee surgery 2 months ago.

Now my doc just ordered me to stop taking caffeine, I am on day 3 but I am draggin bad. Previously I drank a half a pot of black coffee every morning with 1-2 sugar free redbulls in the afternoon.

My question is what are some ways I can get energy without caffeine?

Before I was injured I found working out in the morning would give me enough energy to make it through the day, but since I have been out of it for so long due to injury I don't yet have the muscle stamina to finish a good workout to get that energy boost.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    First of all, I would not have stopped caffeine all at once. I would have tapered off it to allow my body to adjust to smaller levels of caffeine hence awful withdrawals.

So before recommending anything, what was the reason for getting off the caffeine all at once? Do you have a medical condition that you are being evaluated for or under his/her supervision?

Types of workouts, how long and what are you calories for the day? How much to loose weight, etc..?? Special Diet?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Good nutritious food should give you energy. Start with hitting your calorie goal, weigh and log everything. Drink enough water. Then make sure you get a balance of macronutrients - the default 50% carbs, 30% fats, 20% protein is ok to start with. Most things usually fall into place at this stage. Make sure you are eating a variety of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds, grains and potatoes, fish and meat and eggs and beans, butter and oil, dairy. If you can cook, from single food ingredients, you'll get lots of great taste and nutrients. This will provide you with the energy you need.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Caffeine is a substance our bodies can get addicted to and easily accustomed to having so you really have to give your body time to adjust to being without it. Can you just start by limiting yourself and slowly coming off?

You are not only cutting your energy boost but reincorporating a workout regimen after surgery. That's a lot.
    Other than going through a week of nasty withdrawal and walking to keep my eyes open, er, keep my energy up- B vitamins and a balanced breakfast were about all I could do when I had to nix caffeine. Keeping an even blood sugar helped me too.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    First of all, I would not have stopped caffeine all at once. I would have tapered off it to allow my body to adjust to smaller levels of caffeine hence awful withdrawals.

So before recommending anything, what was the reason for getting off the caffeine all at once? Do you have a medical condition that you are being evaluated for or under his/her supervision?

Types of workouts, how long and what are you calories for the day? How much to loose weight, etc..?? Special Diet?

I have been on Nexium for about 6 years and with new research of the drug my new doc pulled me off of that and told me to cut caffeine completely due to what the nexium may have done to my stomach. So at minimum he wants me off of it for 2-3 months to see if there is any irreversible issues from taking the medication for so long.

I would like to lose about 20 lbs by July, and its not really even weight that is the issue its my waist size I want to cut down. I have my current cal's set for 1890 a day. My wife and I meal prep on sundays, and we track everything however shes trying to do macros and im just counting my cals since I can not get close to what my Macros need to be at.

I just had knee and hip surgery and cant do any sit-ups or cardio other than a stationary bike. so I am basically just doing 1 body part a day with 3-4 different workouts 3-4 sets each.

So if you also have any other ab workouts that would be greatly appreciated. Sit-ups are excruciating for me to do since my Hip surgery, not in the abs just the hip.
  • kyleliermann
    Options
    Good nutritious food should give you energy. Start with hitting your calorie goal, weigh and log everything. Drink enough water. Then make sure you get a balance of macronutrients - the default 50% carbs, 30% fats, 20% protein is ok to start with. Most things usually fall into place at this stage. Make sure you are eating a variety of vegetables and fruits, nuts and seeds, grains and potatoes, fish and meat and eggs and beans, butter and oil, dairy. If you can cook, from single food ingredients, you'll get lots of great taste and nutrients. This will provide you with the energy you need.

I usually eat balanced nutrition, however My wife and I are living in a hotel until we close on our house which will hopefully be within 1-2 weeks. but since we are living the way we are its hard to eat the right diet, but work hard to meet my Cal goal, since I am having such a hard time of meeting my Macros while staying under my Cals.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Caffeine doesn't really give you energy, but it can make you more alert. If you haven't replaced the fluids form the caffeniated drinks, you may be dehydrated. Fill up on water. You can still use your upper body, find exercises that don't put pressure on your hips and knees. Talk to a PT or physical therapist.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I would like to lose about 20 lbs by July, and its not really even weight that is the issue its my waist size I want to cut down.
    So if you also have any other ab workouts that would be greatly appreciated. Sit-ups are excruciating for me to do since my Hip surgery, not in the abs just the hip.

Unfortunately you can't spot reduce. The weight in your waist will come off as you lose weight. Just do what exercise you can, walking and lifting weights are great places to start because they are good for you and might make you feel better. But weight loss of course happens in the kitchen.

Agree with others, if you just cut calories and just started a new exercise routine you are going to be tired. It's natural. And every time your ramp up your exercise routine, you will be tired again. A long walk can burn just as many calories as a higher intensity exercise program. Drink water, take whatever vitamins your doctor might recommend (or a good multi-vitamin, someone above mentioned vitamin B complex and that helps some people as does vitamin D). Once you get past the caffeine withdrawals and used to your routine you should be fine again. Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep. Not just so you have energy during the day, but sleep is often when our muscles repair themselves as well.
  • kyleliermann
    Options
    thank you for the input I need to dig out my multivitamins and start taking them again
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Caffeine doesn't really give you energy, but it can make you more alert. If you haven't replaced the fluids form the caffeniated drinks, you may be dehydrated. Fill up on water. You can still use your upper body, find exercises that don't put pressure on your hips and knees. Talk to a PT or physical therapist.

I think the alertness is what most people refer to as "energy" when talking about caffeine. Not literal caloric energy.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

I think the alertness is what most people refer to as "energy" when talking about caffeine. Not literal caloric energy.

No, I didn't mean caloric energy :) I meant "strength, endurance".
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Peppermint herbal tea is a wonderful pick me up. I keep a bottle of peppermint oil that I drop on a tissue or napkin and sniff for a boost. I also like a cup of ice cold water. I think it wakes you up because your body has to warm it up.