Alternatives/moving on from You Are Your Own Gym-looking for other bodyweight programs

Options
I am a week away from finishing the intermediate cycle of "You Are Your Own Gym", and I am unsure where to go from here.

I do not feel I am strong enough to move on to the next level, so I figure I have a few options:

1) Restart the intermediate cycle over again. This would give me another chance to focus on core skills and possibly get strong enough to move to the next level.
2) Switch to an intermediate level of convict conditioning, and add in some running on non-CC days. I haven't run much with YAYOG because 4-5 days a week of YAYOG was pretty much enough. From my one read of CC a while ago, it seems like CC doesn't have any exercises that really push your heart rate, as opposed to YAYOG which has tabatas and other circuit work, so I'd likely throw some running in to augment CC.
3) Switch to the Reddit recommended bodyweight routine. I've shied away from it in part because I was concerned I wouldn't push myself enough, but I think it's worth considering. Only downside I can see (besides the fact that the Reddit community can be a little annoying at times) is that it's a time-consuming routine; they recommend about an hour to complete it, while YAYOG tops out at 36 minutes (granted, the 36 minute ladder workouts in YAYOG feel like hours, so...)
4) Repeat the last four weeks of the intermediate YAYOG and decide from there.

Thoughts?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    You didn't list the option that probably makes the most sense.

Move to the next level if you completed the intermediate level with proper form. If you can't do something in the next level with proper form then modify it if needed and continue to repeat the cycle (I'm not super familiar with YAYOG, so that might be the first week, or 2-3 weeks) until you can do it properly.

Unless you think the next level of YAYOG is wrong/flawed or does not fit your goals, then you might as well do it if you enjoy it.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am ready to move to the next level yet. I can do the lower body standards, but I am not there on the upper body stuff (I can't do a pullup unassisted, let alone 5, and while I might barely muscle my way through a waist high one-armed pushup, it wouldn't be pretty). So I am thinking I will go back and redo YAYOG intermediate, since the first round has definitely improved my strength. Just trying to figure out if it's worth branching out, but I am leaning towards sticking with it.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    darebee.com. It has a variety of workouts, programs, etc that can be easily scaled to fit your level and available time. It also has a mixture of strength, cardio/endurance, flexability and rest days built into the different parts.