Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Mushrooms?!?

ChristineMcGrae
ChristineMcGrae Posts: 100
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I am having a meal tomorrow night that calls for 100g of mushrooms. I could not find the exact kind of mushrooms in the database so using the nutritional value that was on the container for the ones I have... I made my own.

Here are the details:

Asda Closed Cap Mushrooms per 100g

Calories: 157
Protein: 2.4g
Carbs: 0.3g
of Sugar: 0.1g
Fat: 16.2g
of saturates: 10.7g
Fiber: 1.5g
Sodium: 0.35g

Really?? Mushrooms are that high in Calories, Fat and Saturated Fat?? When I do a search on the database for just 'Closed Cap Mushrooms' there is another choice for a generic brand that says per 100g there is 15 calories, 1g fat, 1 g fiber and 2g protein.

I know it is always best to use the labels for the food you are using which is what I will do but why in the heck are my Asda Mushrooms SO high? :grumble:

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Someone entered it incorrectly, or it is another product with a crapload of oil in it.

Those are my guesses.

There are lots of mistakes in the food database. I just entered something and then noticed that someone had entered the daily percentage (30%) for the fat grams (6 grams).

Double check everything, especially if it looks weird, that's my advice.
  • alisonengland
    alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
    That must be wrong..there arent a load of fat in mushrooms! Maybe that was for a stuffed mushroom recipe?
  • Well really that is my question. The mushrooms I have and am using the guide on the container for are showing SO very high. I never knew mushrooms were that high in Calories/Fat/Sat Fat?

They are just fresh mushrooms no oil involved.

Here is the link to the product I bought from Asda, as you can see they have it all listed there. Just seems way high.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=closed+cap+mushrooms&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=347165

Then just click on the 3rd product, the one for £.74.
  • Okay so now I have gone to Tesco.com (another supermarket here in England) and did a search for Closed Cup Mushrooms and their nutritional value is much much less! I am thinking that ASDA has made a big boo boo and labelled their product wrong.

I shall be giving them a call tomorrow.

Here is a link to the Tesco brand:

http://www.tesco.com/superstore/xpi/4/xpi63076234.htm
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    OK, my curiousity piqued, so I went to the website and discovered that Asda sells a sweet called a "coconut mushroom". So, my only idea is that your mushrooms are mis-labeled with the calorie/fat count for those?:tongue:

I would just use the default "raw mushroom" (very low in calories/fat) listing here on MFP. Any white button mushroom should be pretty close.
  • Thanks viviakay! I thought I was going crazy there for minute! :frown:

I am in the process now of writing an eMail to Asda about this mistake. They need to get that fixed on their website as well as on the packaging itself.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    This is a great source for looking up nutrition: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

They may not have the exact type of mushroom you're using, but I'd imagine most mushroom types should be pretty similar for nutrition.

I will often use this database to compare to user-input raw/non-processed foods in the MFP database.

Edited to Add: I got interrupted while writing this, so it looks like you already solved your problem. But, this is good to know about anyways!
This discussion has been closed.