Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    LINIA wrote: »
    OP, it sounds like your Dr suggested this particular WOE to you because the foods involved in Paleo are the best foods for your health. Is your condition aggravated by a mid to high range level of carbs?

I ask because, in your case, it isn't what anyone thinks..it seems as though anyone who advises you to drop the paleo way of eating is going against what you were told by your Dr.

Did you read his post? It wasn't suggested by a doctor, it was suggested by a bodybuilder who's helping train him.

And he's specifically asking for opinions. "whats your take on the diet? my goals are to loose weight and breakdown my body fat."

Which can be accomplished equally well by any diet which creates a caloric deficit.

I'm not saying Paleo won't do it, I'm just saying it's not necessary in any way and holds no kind of advantage over any other diet/way of eating.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think the whole foods aspect of it makes a lot of sense. To me it only seems limiting in that you would have to cook, and many don't want to do that on most days.

There's nothing wrong with Paleo as long as your eating a fair amount of veggies and carbs from sweet potatos etc. It's only bad if you just eat fat and meat all the time.

Why do you think that?

Here is Australia, it's mostly pushed by Pete Evans who makes me want to put my face in a blender and put it on and make a delicious paleo face-smoothie. He's pushed such idiocy around the diet (such as a cookbook which recommends feeding a bone broth to toddlers which may have actually been fatal - it's ok, he put a disclaimer but said to do it anyway) that I don't trust a word that comes out of his stupid mouth. Plus recent studies have suggested it really isn't all it's cracked up to be, and really - who wants to live like our paleo ancestors?

Plus it's so flipping arbitrary - paleo brownies? really? The way it gets twisted to suit peoples wants make it meaningless.

Killer bone broth? How so?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think the whole foods aspect of it makes a lot of sense. To me it only seems limiting in that you would have to cook, and many don't want to do that on most days.

There's nothing wrong with Paleo as long as your eating a fair amount of veggies and carbs from sweet potatos etc. It's only bad if you just eat fat and meat all the time.

Why do you think that?

Here is Australia, it's mostly pushed by Pete Evans who makes me want to put my face in a blender and put it on and make a delicious paleo face-smoothie. He's pushed such idiocy around the diet (such as a cookbook which recommends feeding a bone broth to toddlers which may have actually been fatal - it's ok, he put a disclaimer but said to do it anyway) that I don't trust a word that comes out of his stupid mouth. Plus recent studies have suggested it really isn't all it's cracked up to be, and really - who wants to live like our paleo ancestors?

Plus it's so flipping arbitrary - paleo brownies? really? The way it gets twisted to suit peoples wants make it meaningless.

Recommended as a substitute for formula and breastmilk in babies under 6 months and contained more than 10 times the safe daily maximum of vitamin A for infants and toddlers, leading to a very real risk of toxicity.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Why do you think that?

Recommended as a substitute for formula and breastmilk in babies under 6 months and contained more than 10 times the safe daily maximum of vitamin A for infants and toddlers, leading to a very real risk of toxicity.

Ah yep. That would do it. :(
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op- all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
    Paleo doesn't automatically equal weight loss. Did you know that most personal trainers aren't very educated in diet and nutrition? You would be surprised how many know very little ( well you actually wouldn't be surprised because you've met one )
    For any way of eating, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight. So why not just concentrate on eating whole foods, foods you like and also incorporating some treats in ? If you have no medical conditions besides anxiety, there's no reason to limit carbs unless you wanted to. But its certainly not necessary for weight loss.
    I lost all my weight and have kept it off for 2+ yrs so far and never had to follow a fad or gimmick diet to do it. All I did was eat at a calorie deficit. I used a food scale and was as accurate as possible . there's absolutely no need to eat paleo if you don't want to.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Paleo is eating a ton of veggies. Apparently people assume it's all fat and meat, but nope.

Paleo is not a fad. Paleo eating habits also have nothing to do with the fact that our ancestors had zero access to modern medications. Of course they had much shorter life spans. Duh.

I guess nobody has noticed that when one eliminates most processed foods that they are pretty much following the paleo eating plan. Paleofied junk food should be avoided. Pricey ingredients and the recipes usually suck.

I've lost 55 pounds this way. I sleep better and have less anxiety (no meds for PTSD!). I eat the same 'bread' for high carb days. It works.

It really isn't that restrictive, just educate yourself more and see what other people eat by searching instagram with #paleo #whole30 #primal to get ideas. Not difficult and you can easily hit your target macros each day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just eat what makes you healthy AND happy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    Paleo is eating a ton of veggies. Apparently people assume it's all fat and meat, but nope.

Paleo is not a fad. Paleo eating habits also have nothing to do with the fact that our ancestors had zero access to modern medications. Of course they had much shorter life spans. Duh.

I guess nobody has noticed that when one eliminates most processed foods that they are pretty much following the paleo eating plan. Paleofied junk food should be avoided. Pricey ingredients and the recipes usually suck.

I've lost 55 pounds this way. I sleep better and have less anxiety (no meds for PTSD!). I eat the same 'bread' for high carb days. It works.

It really isn't that restrictive, just educate yourself more and see what other people eat by searching instagram with #paleo #whole30 #primal to get ideas. Not difficult and you can easily hit your target macros each day.

There are lots of whole foods it eliminates as well such as legumes... And lots of healthy, nutrient rich, minimally processed items like yogurt, cheese, grains...etc. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

You said you eat bread though so I'm confused.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I had a look at it and found it highly restrictive, whole food groups and areas of items left out for no real discernible reason - not just processed foods but whole foods also.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I will cop to my husband & I eating this way for about 6 months a few years ago. He was looking for an arthritis inflammation silver bullet, and I was attracted to the weight loss promise.
    And I did lose weight. About 20-25 lbs but no more which makes sense because I ate A LOT. My husband felt a little better but not enough to continue.
    The upsides for me were clearing out a lot of processed crap from my diet, finally eating a robust amount of protein which I had never previously really embraced, and getting familiar with some really tasty substitutions for boring old starches like zucchini 'zoodles' and cauliflower 'rice', both things I still enjoy to this day. The downsides were the problems with eating out or visiting people & having these restrictions, missing nutritious comfort foods like beans, rice or tortillas, and just the sheer volume of meat. So. Much. Meat. Gah!!!!! So perhaps you want to work with your trainer to put together a hybrid diet that suits you personally & you know you'll stick with for the long run.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

This! I think most people trying it do so to be able to label what they're doing and that they're cool to be trendy. So that's why things like Paleo brownies exist, because an actual Paleo food resume would be so freaking boring and limiting that the bloom would be off the bud in a week or two and no one would actually do it long term.

The whole premise is ill-conceived, imho.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

There are lots of whole foods it eliminates as well such as legumes... And lots of healthy, nutrient rich, minimally processed items like yogurt, cheese, grains...etc. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

You said you eat bread though so I'm confused.

Paleo restricts all grains, legumes (except cashews) and dairy. Eggs are on a limited basis (3 to 4 omega enriched a week) and unsaturated fat based meats (bison, elk, etc). They suggest a 2:1 or 3:1 omega 3 to omega 6 ratio as well.

So i am not sure if this poster is following stricted paleo, but bread is definitely not in the original program.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

This! I think most people trying it do so to be able to label what they're doing and that they're cool to be trendy. So that's why things like Paleo brownies exist, because an actual Paleo food resume would be so freaking boring and limiting that the bloom would be off the bud in a week or two and no one would actually do it long term.

The whole premise is ill-conceived, imho.

I agree. People love a fad. They love to hear promises of better health and weight loss. When you look at some of these diets from a nutrition standpoint, they are lacking to say the least. IMO there's no reason to cut out things like cheese unless one is allergic. These diets come with rules that make no sense, from a nutritional standpoint.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Not everyone who eats nutritious foods can be said to follow Paleo. My lunch yesterday violated every single principle of Paleo but there was plenty of nutrition there:

8mh35rcab8ky.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

For the rest of my life I am going to think of the phrase "Paleo face smoothie" when someone asks about going Paleo. Thank you.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    it's so flipping arbitrary - paleo brownies? really? The way it gets twisted to suit peoples wants make it meaningless.
    ^^^This...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have been eating and cooking the Paleoish and Whole30ish way for long time now. I say "ish" because if you think about the principles of the dies, it works, and where it falls short is just like any other diet eliminates too many foods that unless you are allergic to, it eliminates (beans, grains, milk etc.)
    Concentrate on eating plenty of fruits, veggies, lean meats and mix in some legumes and grains here and there. Cook at home and dont buy the crappy processed stuff and by default you are paleo :)

No, no you are not. You can call it paleo or paleoish if you want, but you could also call it Dash or Mediterranean or Fred.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Or just balanced.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Or just balanced.

or anything else. Point is you can call your diet anything you want but the Paleo Diet has defined parameters. And grains, legumes and dairy aren't in those parameters.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Or just balanced.

or anything else. Point is you can call your diet anything you want but the Paleo Diet has defined parameters. And grains, legumes and dairy aren't in those parameters.

Agreed