Protein Shake With Soy Making Me BLOAT!!

Options
I'm very discouraged this morning. My stomach has balooned up and very bloated! I did my diet perfect over the weekend, but this morning my stomach hurt and was hard to button my pants.

Could the protein shakes I'm drinking be doing this to me? I drink 22 oz AdvantEdge twice a day (which is 4 shakes). For dinner I have a sensible meal usually high protein low carb low fat.

Help!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Did you just start drinking them?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Which type of AdvantEdge shake?
  • mwood1234
    mwood1234 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I started 7 days ago consistently.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Your body may be having trouble processing all that protein/processed drink. I find that I feel better the more I can keep my food to actual real food and the supplements to a minimum. I drink one protein powder shake only on weight workout days, so 3 or 4 days a week, and the other days I try to get all my protein from actual food: tuna, chicken, turkey, eggs, etc. I may have a snack bar or protein bar (Larabar or Quest) once every day or so on the days I don't do the protein powder (I'm in maintenance and trying to get my calories UP!), but other than that...

I think people put too much stock in the supplements and things that come in a wrapper or a can. They really don't substitute learning how to eat a balanced, healthy diet. Maybe cut back to only one? If its making you bloated and ill...?

Good luck!
  • mwood1234
    Options
    Thank you Brian. I think you are right. I like the easiness of drinking my meals but it could be the processed ingredients that are messing with me.
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hello, you may also have a sensitivity to soy. I can't have soy products without bloating myself (slightly inconvenient as I am vegan and love my tofu!).

There are alternatives to soy or whey protein shakes on the market. I love my Amazonia Raw pea protein but there are probably plenty like it on the market. It is also free of preservatives, GMOs, dairy, corn etc.

If you like to drink your meals, there are ways around it :-)
  • mwood1234
    Options
    I do like to drink my meals. Thank u so much.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It is probably the soy - I can't do soy based products at all
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Well, soy is a bean. Could you eat more whole foods and fewer processed foods/drinks?
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    dottiestlottiest2015 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes but I have a similar problem with soy so I make mine with Almond Milk. It also tastes nicer!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes but I have a similar problem with soy so I make mine with Almond Milk. It also tastes nicer!

The soy is in the shake itself (at least on the ingredient list that I just looked up).
  • mwood1234
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will be conscious of the soy and processed ingredients. I cut my intake of protein shakes in half today and I feel alot better.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I drink my protein shake with water. That has helped cut down the bloated feeling.
  • mwood1234
    Options
    Dustin, I would like the info of what you use. Thank you!
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Dustin i would like to know too lol
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are sensitive or allergic to soy. It's not unusual.