How much time lifting weights?

Options
I'm a female and I just started lifting to lose weight. I'm not doing any cardio currently. I'm about 3 weeks into a lifting program. It only takes me 20-45 minutes to do all the exercises. Is this normal? Will I see results (strength or otherwise?) I feel like it's not enough. Admittedly I don't really do any rest times. I don't have a ton of time to workout so I'm just trying to do every lift/exercise in succession with minimal rest times. Sometimes I break sweat (hello leg day!) other times I don't. Should I expect any real results from this in 3 mos? Lifting 4-5 days a week. I'd say I'm lifting "heavy", I guess. Not like 3lb weights or something. I'm using Dumbbells, machines, etc. usually not less than 10lbs depending on what muscle I'm working.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    30-45 minutes usually. Working Stronglifts 5X5 three times a week. Seeing significant progress!

Are you using a certain program?
  • bfreed10
    bfreed10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just a program I found on bodybuilding.com Jamie Easton live fit trainer
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    it will depend on the lifting program you are using.

popular beginner routines such as 5x5 will often be very quick at the beginning, but as the weights get heavier you will need to take longer to warm up and take longer rest periods, so the workouts will get longer over all.

when i did SL5x5, the first week i could finish in 30minutes (empty bar, 45lbs), by the last week a workout would take me 90 minutes (265lb squats needed 5-8min rest between sets)
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I was doing split exercises (legs one day, then arms) my workouts were shorter, 20-30 minutes. Now I'm doing full body workouts, they're 45 minutes or so but I do them less often so it's probably about the same amount of time.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    bfreed10 wrote: »

I've heard about that program, but never tried it. Stronglifts is the first program I've tried and I love it. Easy (5 exercises), quick, and you can download the app that keeps you on track.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I lift for an hour. Then 30 min cardio.
  • liftsalltheweights
    Options
    Depends on what I'm working. Typically it's an hour, sometimes it's 70 minutes. Shoulder day seems to take forever.
  • bfreed10
    bfreed10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bfreed10 wrote: »

I've heard about that program, but never tried it. Stronglifts is the first program I've tried and I love it. Easy (5 exercises), quick, and you can download the app that keeps you on track.

I'll probably try that one when this one ends, thanks! I'm just worried I'm not going to see any results but probably as the workouts become more intense I'll see something. Ugh just being patient is the key I suppose.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on your program...mine usually takes about an hour.
  • hollyberry9639
    hollyberry9639 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to go heavier. From your description of not needing to rest or often not breaking a sweat, I would suggest trying to push yourself harder. Keep adding a bit more weight, keep challenging yourself. If you rest, you may find you'll be stronger on your next set.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Recently, 50-90 minutes.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I'm doing StrongLifts 5x5 as well -- in the beginning it took a little under 45 minutes and now I spend close to an hour with the program -- I am doing the 3 regular exercises each session along with one additional assistance exercise -- I allow the regular rest periods assigned via the iPhone app -- 1.5 minutes between sets and 3 min. between the warm-ups and the regular 5x5 lifts.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Depends on the program. My current one is an easy 2.5hours a day, 5 days a week.

Plus about 90 minutes of basic body weight correctives and prehab twice a week.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    When I started SL5x5 a couple of years ago the workouts only took me about 12-15mins. No sweat, no heavy breathing or anything like that. Fast forward to week 8 and the time jumped up to about 40 mins. At the end of the first cycle it was taking a full 50 mins. From week 8 on, sweaty, out of breath and taking 4 min breaks between sets.
    This was 3x per week.
  • theconnertys
    theconnertys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If your not feeling it...ie you don't need a rest and are not really getting tour heart rate up...add weight. Weight lifting should be progressive. That means you are ALWAYS adding weight and challenging yourself.

3 times a week is fine.

As mentioned above, 5x5 is a great, thought out program that pretty much anyone can do.
  • hockeysniper8
    hockeysniper8 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress!
    What's your main fitness goal? Cut, maintain or add weight?
    My lifting sessions are 45 min to maintain my weight
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Congrats on choosing the correct form of exercise! Do some searches on PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD and challenge yourself. Cardio is overrated. Keep pumping iron!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I can't imagine 25 minutes. I think the shortest I've done is 45 minutes running SL 5x5 at the beginning. Really my workout can't be done in less than an hour 4x per week, many times I push to 1.5hrs
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I can get in and out of the gym in an hour including getting changed and putting water on my body to get rid of the sweat (I wouldn't call it a "shower" - it's literally just in-out).

Generally my workouts are 45-50 mins and I do split (upper body / lower body days) I have done full body before but then I'd generally have to reduce number of sets to get out in time (I work out at lunchtime at work gym)

I have results.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Read NROL-he lays out reps and rest. Very well done. Am in 5 the week-takes about 40 min with short warm up.