Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Antibiotics and probiotics??

summerkissed
summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
edited January 2022 in Debate Club
Not sure if this belongs here or not......
I'm on antibiotics and have a tummy upset because of them. Would I benefit from pre/probiotics? And if yes do I wait till after my course of antibiotics are over?

Replies

• e_v_v
    e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
    Absolutely, yes! The problem is that the antibiotics are killing ALL of the bacteria in your stomach, including the good bacteria that your body needs to have a "regular" digestive system. Invest in them immediately and begin taking them whenever you want. Expensive, but worth EVERY penny. I take them every day, antibiotics or not.
  • summerkissed
    Is it worth taking them though while on the course of antibiotics? Wouldn't the antibiotics kill the good stuff straight away?
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    It wouldn't hurt.

Look up the half-life of the antibiotics you're taking and work around it. Usually right before bed is a good time to take probiotics (assuming your doses are morning and early evening).
  • summerkissed
    Ok I'll look I take them 3x a day
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Why not ask the prescribing doctor this question?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    I always take probiotic when I'm on antibiotics, I used to get awful side effects from antibiotics (yup, THAT one) and since starting probiotics at the same time, I've not had an issue.
  • summerkissed

I'd have to go back to the doctor for that and doctors visits are expensive and he is over an hours drive away then waiting time, drive back there's my whole day gone. I've been told to take them before and I've been told not to take them before.....general consensus is take them but when do I take them as they are not cheap and if the course if antibiotics is going to destroy the probiotics then it's a waste of money anyway :neutral:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

I'd have to go back to the doctor for that and doctors visits are expensive and he is over an hours drive away then waiting time, drive back there's my whole day gone. I've been told to take them before and I've been told not to take them before.....general consensus is take them but when do I take them as they are not cheap and if the course if antibiotics is going to destroy the probiotics then it's a waste of money anyway :neutral:

It's true they're not cheap, that put me off for a good long while, but the probiotics seem to balance out the antibiotics rather than being destroyed by them. My experience is only anecdotal, but yeah. Wouldn't do one without the other these days.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Add me to the anecdotal list of probiotics helping when taking antibiotics. Heck, when my boys were babies and had ear infections, my doctor told me to sprinkle a bit of probiotic powder in their food or get them to eat plain greek yogurt. It really lessened their gut problems and cleared up rashes they got when they got the big D from the antibiotics.
  • summerkissed
    Sounds like I can take them whilst on antibiotics without worrying I'm flushing them down the toilet.
    @ClubSilencio it's 61.5min and I've just found out that's why I have to take them 3 times a day :smiley: thanks for the heads up
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Can't you just call and ask him/her? I don't know where you are from but I could just pick the phone up and call my doctor to ask a question like that free of charge.
  • liftsalltheweights
    liftsalltheweights Posts: 73 Member

Can't you just call and ask him/her? I don't know where you are from but I could just pick the phone up and call my doctor to ask a question like that free of charge.

You're fortunate because a lot of doctors charge for phone questions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Since probiotics do not need to be prescribed, you needn't worry about taking them, and they won't interfere with the antibiotics you are on. No doctor's advice required.

Besides probiotic pills, I am rather fond of the living probiotics in products like yogurt and Kefir.
  • jordiblu
    jordiblu Posts: 145 Member
    Take probiotics absolutely!!! I take probiotics every single day all year round keeps my digestive system working properly
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Same here. That really is a question for the doctor, not a debate topic.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Is it worth taking them though while on the course of antibiotics? Wouldn't the antibiotics kill the good stuff straight away?

Someone told me yesterday to yes take them, but try to take them as far away from the anti as you can. Good luck, I fully understand your pain!! xo
  • summerkissed

No you can't just call your doctor here, you get told to make an appointment...doctors are too busy to take calls as well as seeing patients
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Wouldn't a serving, or two, of a live culture yogurt, Greek or regular, suffice?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    Wouldn't a serving, or two, of a live culture yogurt, Greek or regular, suffice?

I asked the pharmacist this question just recently, and she said probably not. And that the probiotic might not even help. Not positive information to receive when you're trying to avoid something horrible while trying to get better, but it is what it is.
  • summerkissed
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Since probiotics do not need to be prescribed, you needn't worry about taking them, and they won't interfere with the antibiotics you are on. No doctor's advice required.

Besides probiotic pills, I am rather fond of the living probiotics in products like yogurt and Kefir.

I'm not worried about taking them, they are expensive and I don't want to be taking them if the antibiotic is just killing the good bacteria, I love yogurt and brought a heap of that yesterday we also make our own...yummy!
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Same here. That really is a question for the doctor, not a debate topic.

The topic is, is it a waste of time taking them while on antibiotics.....my question has been answered by looking at the half life of the antibiotics.

Someone told me yesterday to yes take them, but try to take them as far away from the anti as you can. Good luck, I fully understand your pain!! xo

Thanks :smiley: yes looks like you will still get the benefits if you do this. The ol antibiotics are a necessity sometimes hope this helps the downside to them :confounded:
This discussion has been closed.