1200 Calories a day? HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• cheeky_marie
    cheeky_marie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OP, your BMR (the amount of energy your body needs just to keep you alive) calculates to about 1400 calories per day. Try eating at least that much and let your everyday activity plus exercise create your deficit. I know I don't feel satisfied on anything less than my BMR calories. You don't have a ton of weight to lose, so a drastic deficit isn't necessary. You'll lose more slowly but it will be much more enjoyable for you. As AnnPT77 said, find out what timing and composition works for you. Upping protein and veggies (high volume but low calorie) tends to increase satiety the most. And if you're still hungry, it's okay to eat some of your exercise calories back, though MFP tends to overestimate calories burned in my experience and I don't eat them all, personally. The most important thing is to find a balance that works for you - getting to your goal slowly is much better than never getting there at all because you can't sustain your lifestyle changes. Good luck, OP! :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I would say dial down the rate of loss so you can eat more & be more comfortable. It's also better for skin shrinkage at our age!
    But good work: that hunger means you are probably spot on with accurate logging! I'm always suspicious when people say they can't possibly eat their whole 1200 calories because they feel full; often that's a sign they're eating more than they think...
  • rachfking
    rachfking Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry after dinner I have a cup of decaf tea. Mmmm
  • Jeano5138
    Jeano5138 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kwohl wrote: »
    My first few days and this is a struggle. I am 5'6, 160 pounds, and want to lose 20 pounds. I am finding it so hard to eat just 1200 calories a day. I am starving, especially at night. Has anyone lost weight going higher in calories and had results? I am feeling like this is going to be a disaster and I have barely started. Ten years ago I think I had more will power. I'm 45 now and need more motivation....bring it.

The key is to distract yourself with drinking lots of water (infused with lemon is my personal favorite) and controlling your urges by eating every 2 to 3 hours in small amounts. Look up the WLC program,it helps reset your metabolism and I've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. It helps!!!! And is great motivation!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice....I exercise two to five times per week....now I am upping it to 5 for sure.....I do 4 days of cardio (two days of spin, 55 minutes, two days of elliptical for 40 minutes, one day of barre class).....so do you all eat your calories as well that you got by exercising?

As mentioned before, with 20 lbs to lose, you shouldn't be set to lose more than 1 lb/week. This will give you more calories to consume each day and you'll lose at a healthy, sustainable rate. These calories are meant to fuel your body in a resting/inactive state while losing weight at your set weight loss goal (average).
    As well as losing less aggressively, eat back half to three-quarters of your exercise calories. These calories are meant to fuel your workouts.

1200 calories is most likely too low for your body. If you continually feel hungry, it's easier to give up. Remember that this journey is more about a life-long, healthy, sustainable lifestyle.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" 172lbs and losing 0.5-1lb/week at 1650 calories per day. I also eat back exercise calories. You should be able to eat more calories each day and still lose weight steadily.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jeano5138 wrote: »
    My first few days and this is a struggle. I am 5'6, 160 pounds, and want to lose 20 pounds. I am finding it so hard to eat just 1200 calories a day. I am starving, especially at night. Has anyone lost weight going higher in calories and had results? I am feeling like this is going to be a disaster and I have barely started. Ten years ago I think I had more will power. I'm 45 now and need more motivation....bring it.

The key is to distract yourself with drinking lots of water (infused with lemon is my personal favorite) and controlling your urges by eating every 2 to 3 hours in small amounts. Look up the WLC program,it helps reset your metabolism and I've lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. It helps!!!! And is great motivation!

"Reset your metabolism" - nonsense. Unless you have medical issues - your metabolism works just fine. WLC is this the code for Herbal Life (diet shakes) or is it one of those elimination diets, with various "phases"? Hint** you don't need to eliminate foods to lose weight, and elimination doesn't help you maintain. Lifestyle changes help you maintain.

OP - just eat the number of calories that is sustainable for YOU. 1200 is just a default, it's a good default when you're a senior or 4'11" tall. Not appropriate for most of us.