First time at the gym - Nervous! Advice please?

Options
iona_ellen
iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello!
I have one week free try out voucher for local gym and finally got confidence to give it a go over the 7 days. I have basically no idea about gyms (and their website isn't very good). So yeah I'm just wanting all advice needed for a weeks try out...like what to take? Wear? How long reccomended to stay? Any advice possible please

Replies

• georgiasalisbury94
    georgiasalisbury94 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're going to the gym! I would recommend wearing clothes you are comfortable in! For me, this is trackpants or leggings and a singlet or T shirt. I always take a small towel (like a hand towel) as I sweat a fair bit! As well as a big bottle of water,my phone and my earphones so I can listen to music. If you're not sure what kind of exercises to do I would recommend going to an aerobics class (if the gym offers them) as that way you have an instructor showing a group of you what to do or, if you are serious about exercising then I would recommend a session with a personal trainer (at the gym if possible) so that they can help you to make a gym program which will help you achieve your goals :) From there you don't have to see the trainer often, only when you want to change up your routine and need guidance :)
  • seahorsepenguin
    seahorsepenguin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Group exercise classes are a great way to get started and get comfortable at a new gym. There are usually people at all fitness levels and ages so you won't feel self conscious. You should see if they offer a free personal training session and use it to make sure you feel comfortable with both the cardio and weight equipment.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Its awesome that your going to give the gym a try ! Its overwhelming at first but in no time at all, it will be your second home !! Just keep with it even when you feel scared and afraid! Don't give up and soon enough you will be comfortable there !

Classes are a good idea if you like that type of thing. I'm more of a loner so don't go to classes often. I would start with a beginner level class. It may be overwhelming if you start with an advanced class at first. Your gym should have a schedule at the desk. It will give you the times and dates of the classes and it should say advanced or beginner . if it doesn't, ask a staff member which class would be right for you .

Don't be afraid to ask questions. The staff is paid to work there and help. If you have a question, speak up ! They will be happy to talk with you. Don't be intimidated. We where all new once and all needed help !

If you aren't sure about how to use a piece of equipment, ask the staff. Also you can go on YouTube to watch videos of others using the equipment so you can check out their form and see what to do .

On my first day , I went with a treadmill. I figured it was a safe start. I went slow and just got the hang of it. Each week I tried something new until I figured out what I liked and what I didn't .

Don't try to do everything at once on your first Day there, just use that time to get accustomed to the place.

In no time at all, you will feel right at home there!!
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    In our gyms here in New Zealand you do have one trainer hour for free when you start.
    If that is not the case in your gym, ask the staff, tell them you have never been to a gym and let them explain all the machines to you. Even treadmills, they are all a bit different, so you want to know how to set them up for you (weight, speed, incline etc).

I bet the staff will be nice to you, the voucher is there to attract new clients, so they have to be nice ;-)