I'm embarrassed to go see my nutritionist...

Options
Since June I've been steadily gaining. For the last couple of months I've gained two pounds every two weeks. So far I've gained forty pounds. Partly due to an increase in a medicine partly overeating out of emotion. Im embarrassed to see my nutritionist next week because he's seen me increase in weight every two weeks since last June and I don't want to have to go in yet again another two weeks where I've failed to maintain self control and ate too much! Should I go anyway? Also what can I do to reduce my food cravings this medicine is creating?

Replies

• kiane50
    kiane50 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe the nutritionist can help. But you have to face the inevitable and get back on track. You can do it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Go see a dietician who is actually qualified to give you advice
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Draw a line down the middle of a page. Write all the benefits of staying home on one side and the benefits of facing your nutritionist on the other.

If you decide to go, make a list of lessons learned and share that with your nutritionist. Even if the list of things you will never do again.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Go see the nutrition, being embarrassed and getting a reality check is exactly what you may need to lose weight! If you avoid him/her, you are probably likely to continue doing what you are doing. Seeing him may kind of guilt trip you into making better choices. Which isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes others giving us a reality check is the best thing we need. I know for me it worked. :)
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Face (overblown) embarrassment by seeing your nutritionalist or face early onset heart disease, diabetes, joint and back problems down the road.. Pretty easy choice, IMO.

Look, don't be embarrassed and excuse my language... Because this *kitten* is hard. If it wasn't, everybody would be fit. You're going to fail but you have a choice to stay down or get back up and the only one who can make the decision is you. If it's worth it, you'll accept your defeats and learn from them and try to implement positive changes from here on.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Your nutritionist should not judge you, the same way that the scale and your weight do not judge you. Instead, they're ways to help you empower yourself. If you're ready to change and want to confront your issues with emotional eating, seeing your nutritionist would be a positive step in that direction. (Though, it doesn't sound like he's helping you if you have to ask us how to combat medication-induced hunger.)

I would suggest writing down exactly what you're thinking as soon as you have a craving. Think of it as logging food and thought/emotion at the same time. Instead of feeling embarrassed, you can feel curious because its a great opportunity to learn something about yourself.