Can I bounce back from a month of bad eating?

Options
Honestly, I really have confused myself from binge eating and just giving up. Throughout February I've been eating like crap and have been eating about 5000+ calories verbatim a day, blaming binge eating. I've so far have gained 10 pounds and am up to 140lbs. I am honestly wanting to go back to 130,aside from my protruding stomach and my chubbyish face nothing really is noticeable but I do feel heavier.Today I have stuffed myself with anything I have been craving for, to prepare for this diet again, any words of motivation for preparation?

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've been on this boat many times, and though its extremely hard, what someone told me kind of cleared it up for me. "Don't wait to get diabetes or die." They didn't say it in a mean way, but more of a way that really put in perspective for me. They may not be the most encouraging words, but it worked to get me back to dieting and losing weight! Don't wait to get to 150, 160,....200 lbs! Do it now before it gets harder! :) And don't feel too bad, we all slip up, but trying to do something, is better than denying it and doing nothing. As long as you can recognize the bad habits you've been doing lately, you are one step closer to fixing the problem.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You can always bounce back. In fact you must know that everyone must bounce back because no one is perfect. Life happens. We learn to shorten up the long stretches though and make it more of a lifestyle to stay healthy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I say skip all diets until you work out what you were getting out of binge eating. What emotion have you been feeding?

I get sad when people split foods in to happy foods and diet foods. All food is glorious and if enjoyed with a modicum of caution can be included.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Physically? Of course. It's just math and it works whenever you apply it.

Mentally? Thats up to you.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I say skip all diets until you work out what you were getting out of binge eating. What emotion have you been feeding?

^This is great advice!

Until you understand your behavior, dieting will be an uphill battle, especially if you're being overly-restrictive. The fact that you binged as preparation is a first sign of this. A lot of times, binge eating is about avoiding an emotion. You start to feel sad/stressed/angry/anxious, and eat to NOT feel that way. Once you figure out your pattern of eating, you'll be better equipped to make lasting lifestyle changes.
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sure you can. I'm bouncing back from 30 odd years of bad eating. 71 pounds down and still going. You can do it.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I could have written the OP.... I went back to work after 6 months maternity leave and the workload plus 2 kids plus running a home = bad eating habits (for me...) I realise its a mental battle, and I could prepare food bla bla etc.

But today is the first day of a new month, I am ready to start again. I have mentally prepared what I am going to eat today and am determined to stick to it. I'm happy to be your accountability partner if u like..
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Just by logging back in and posting this thread you have declared your intention to succeed. Now put the cookies down and just get on with it! ;-)
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think "bounce back" isn't the way to think of it, getting back to good habits is. I've done it many times, but I've just sighed, dusted myself down, and started small and built up to where I was before. Anyways, a few "failures" does you good imho, as it make you realise that your gonna make mistakes, but you can learn from them and move on; and then you'll make more mistakes, hell we all do!

You'll be fine, just don't beat yourself up about it! It may look like everyone else finds this stuff easy, and your the only one that doesn't, but you aren't - we all find it difficult from time to time, we all fail, but its getting up and starting again that's the important thing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

QFT

I'd be wondering what made me blow out like that tbh - how did I lose the weight in the first place that made me crash and burn in such an OTT way

And I'd look to fix that

You need habits that just are you that you don't have to consciously think about that stop you going to such an extreme
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It's not just about getting back on the waggon for vanity reasons, you need to work out why you do what you do.
    Your mind is a little more of concern than temporary "chubby cheeks".
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You can definitely bounce back. Every single time you eat is a chance to choose healthy foods. Every single day is an opportunity to move and get exercise. For me, I had to get to a place mentally where I wanted to be good to my body.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    eithk wrote: »
    Honestly, I really have confused myself from binge eating and just giving up. Throughout February I've been eating like crap and have been eating about 5000+ calories verbatim a day, blaming binge eating. I've so far have gained 10 pounds and am up to 140lbs. I am honestly wanting to go back to 130,aside from my protruding stomach and my chubbyish face nothing really is noticeable but I do feel heavier.Today I have stuffed myself with anything I have been craving for, to prepare for this diet again, any words of motivation for preparation?

You sound as thought you copied my month! I got down down to 126lbs my 'ideal' weight. I though I'd ate at maintenance but got weighed and gain 10 lbs. ...I need to get back on board! ! We got this. :wink:
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Bounce back wouldn't be the phrase I would choose when I have been in a similar place. Mostly because it doesn't happen quickly. It takes me a lot longer to lose it than to gain it. Rise up from the flames might be more apt. I have to shutdown my negative self talk when I revisit numbers on the scale I've conquered already, The past is behind me, I can only look ahead. Try to be nice to yourself.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Precisely.
  • nalomeliz
    nalomeliz Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I do this too. Do not feel like you are alone. I will feel so guilty that I will start all over with this app so I do not have to look at the calories I ate.
    I need to take each day step by step until I break the bad habits I've acquired over the years. Someone told me on here that this isn't just a diet, this is a lifestyle change and that made so much sense to me.
    Do not punish yourself when you have those bad days. Log it. Realize why and do better tomorrow.
    Every day will be a challenge but I know it is a challenge well worth the fight! Everyone moves at their own pace and I firmly believe that recognizing you need to make that change is the most important step....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It sounds like you need to completely change the way you think about eating. Why would you stuff your face with everything you've been craving as a preparation for a diet? That sounds ridiculous and the only logical reason I can think of is that you plan to never eat these things on your "diet".

Plan to eat a sensible diet that allows for treats. You don't have to only eat vegetables and baked chicken and diet foods to lose weight. If you make room in your diet for foods you enjoy you may not find yourself binge eating everything you've denied yourself.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

It sounds like you need to completely change the way you think about eating. Why would you stuff your face with everything you've been craving as a preparation for a diet? That sounds ridiculous and the only logical reason I can think of is that you plan to never eat these things on your "diet".

Plan to eat a sensible diet that allows for treats. You don't have to only eat vegetables and baked chicken and diet foods to lose weight. If you make room in your diet for foods you enjoy you may not find yourself binge eating everything you've denied yourself.

Stuffing your face in preparation for a diet may be ridiculous but you aren't alone in this approach. YOU are not ridiculous. Lots of us have done it. I've heard it called Last Supperitis. To let go of the idea that you won't ever get to eat these lovely calorie dense foods again, why not try scheduling a treat in every Sunday as an example? The joy of eating doesn't have to end.

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I get sad when people split foods in to happy foods and diet foods. All food is glorious and if enjoyed with a modicum of caution can be included.

This advice, right here.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    It depends how fat you are, as to whether you'll "bounce" or not. But seriously, get back on track asap with a sensible deficit and go from there.