Tips for Running

Options
Hey guys, I'm just gonna jump right into it and say: I HATE running. Even as a basketball player who was forced to run for hours at a time, I hated it. This is mostly because I can't run though. I can walk forever and I can jog lightly for quite a bit. But running... can't do it. In fact, my run is more of a fast jog. I have no stamina / endurance. I get exhausted after a minute. Getting to the point, does anyone have any tips on how to start running and maybe even eventually liking it?

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    How to start? If you are getting exhausted after a minute, either slow your pace down or do a run-walk interval. 30 seconds running, 30 seconds walking, repeat. As you get fitter, increase the run time to a minute, two minutes, etc.

How to start liking it? Well, getting better at it makes it more enjoyable. Also, find some running buddies. My local running store has beginner running groups (and walking groups, and run-walk groups) of people who are in exactly the same place you are. I joined one last year, and the friendships I made have been awesome. Not to mention the accountability -- there are weeks I really don't feel like going, but I know someone is counting on me to be there, so I go and end up having a good time. Plus we have coaches who help us through the rough patches. Maybe you can find a group like that near you?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Don't do it if you don't like it. Find something you like to do. Hiking, biking, swimming, tennis, weight lifting, belly dancing, martial arts etc...........
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    How to start? If you are getting exhausted after a minute, either slow your pace down or do a run-walk interval. 30 seconds running, 30 seconds walking, repeat. As you get fitter, increase the run time to a minute, two minutes, etc.

How to start liking it? Well, getting better at it makes it more enjoyable. Also, find some running buddies. My local running store has beginner running groups (and walking groups, and run-walk groups) of people who are in exactly the same place you are. I joined one last year, and the friendships I made have been awesome. Not to mention the accountability -- there are weeks I really don't feel like going, but I know someone is counting on me to be there, so I go and end up having a good time. Plus we have coaches who help us through the rough patches. Maybe you can find a group like that near you?

Great advice. You could also pick a fun run or race to train for. It would give a focus to your workouts and a purpose. And a HUGE sense of accomplishment for you when you reach your goal.

But if you truly hate it, find something you can love and look forward to.
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! This all helps. I'll definitely be trying interval running. As far as trying something else, I can't because it won't be beneficial to my goal. I'm in Army ROTC and we have to pass our AFPT to commission and become a 2nd LT. This test has 3 parts and the biggest part is running 2 miles. I can't pass it right now because I'm a terrible runner. I can't get better at running if I don't run lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Run, jog, same difference? How far are you wanting to be able to 'run' and at what pace?
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Try the c25k app, many people rave about it. You will build up your running gradually starting with walk/run intervals. You can repeat a week whenever you need. Good luck
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Try the c25k app, many people rave about it. You will build up your running gradually starting with walk/run intervals. You can repeat a week whenever you need. Good luck

I'm going to look that up, thanks!

• DesOdhi
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Run, jog, same difference? How far are you wanting to be able to 'run' and at what pace?

For me, a jog is just a little bit faster than half the speed of a run. For example, if I jogged a mile, I'd finish it at around 13 or 14 minutes. If I ran a mile (which is impossible for me now b/c I'm out of shape) I'd finish it at around 9 minutes. I'd need to have a 8.15 minute mile to pass at a minimal level. So, jogging wouldn't work for me & my fastest run isn't fast enough.
  • DesOdhi
    Options

Running buddies would be great, I just don't know too many people in my area. I'll look into local groups online.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Destinyy wrote: »
    Thanks guys! This all helps. I'll definitely be trying interval running. As far as trying something else, I can't because it won't be beneficial to my goal. I'm in Army ROTC and we have to pass our AFPT to commission and become a 2nd LT. This test has 3 parts and the biggest part is running 2 miles. I can't pass it right now because I'm a terrible runner. I can't get better at running if I don't run lol.

So how long do you have until your fitness test?

I'm a little surprised you're not doing structured phys within ROTC. I know that in the UK the various university training units have mandatory group sessions a couple of times per week.

That said, I'd agree the advice above. Use C25K to help you develop the stamina.

What I generally advise those under my command to do for fitness tests is to train to 5K, that allows them to have the capacity to run faster at shorter distances. It's less physically demanding as well.
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal I do have structured PTs 4 days a week but I don't seem to be getting better like the other cadets. They all came into the program ready after doing JROTC. I'm the "new" girl. Also, we have multiple tests, but the important one is in the beginning of May.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

For me, a jog is just a little bit faster than half the speed of a run. For example, if I jogged a mile, I'd finish it at around 13 or 14 minutes. If I ran a mile (which is impossible for me now b/c I'm out of shape) I'd finish it at around 9 minutes. I'd need to have a 8.15 minute mile to pass at a minimal level. So, jogging wouldn't work for me & my fastest run isn't fast enough.

How long have you got to get to an 8.15 mile?
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Buy some cool gear to keep you motivated! Looking good is feeling good ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    @MeanderingMammal I do have structured PTs 4 days a week but I don't seem to be getting better like the other cadets. They all came into the program ready after doing JROTC. I'm the "new" girl. Also, we have multiple tests, but the important one is in the beginning of May.

First off, 7Ps...

But to get there, I'd recommend something like C25K, which will get you to 3 miles at a reasonable pace.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    My normal advice to new runners is slow down. That jog that lets you log a mile without stopping? Do that. Then next week jog 1.5 miles a couple days. Then a week or two later try 2 miles at that pace etc. Try to get up to where you are slow jogging 4 miles if you can. Once a week do some speed work, keep all your other runs easy. Try to run 4x a week. Normally this would be even a bit much for a beginner but you are on a timetable here.

For your speedwork you could do half mile repeats. Run a half mile at your 'goal' pace (so if you need 8.15 minute-mile, run a half mile in 4 minutes or so). Maybe first week just do 1 or 2 half-mile repeats. By the time the rest of your runs are 3 or 4 miles, you can do more half mile repeats (rest and recover inbetween). Two weeks out do a practice 2 miles at your desired pace. Don't start out any faster, see if you can keep enough in the tank that you can be fast at the end if you need to be.

So you have 12 weeks left-ish? This is just a general idea:
    Week 1: Run 4x a week, 1 mile each day at easy pace
    Week 2: Run 3 days 1 mile easy, 4th day do just one half mile at your goal pace
    Week 3 & 4: Run 3 days 1.5 miles easy, 4th day just one half mile at goal pace
    Week 5 & 6: Run 3 days 2 miles easy, 4th day TWO half mile repeats at goal pace
    Week 7 & 8: Run 3 days 2.5 miles easy, 4th day two half mile repeats at goal pace
    Week 9 & 10: Run 3 days 3 miles easy, 4th day three half mile repeats at goal pace
    Week 11: Run 3 days 3.5 miles easy, 4th day attempt a 2 mile run at your goal pace
    Week 12: Run 3 days 3.5 miles easy, 4th day do two mile repeats at your goal pace
    Week 13 - test! kill it!

If you can add a 5th day in there do so, but make it one of the easy days. Your easy days should be EASY. You should be able to carry on a conversation with someone while you jog. If you find it hard, just slow down. If you can't slow down anymore, walk on your easy days if you have to. If you feel good on your days with repeats you can add one, but don't push yourself too far. The repeat days are to get you used to running at your goal pace. Everything else is building up strength and endurance without injury.
  • DesOdhi
    Options

First off, 7Ps...

But to get there, I'd recommend something like C25K, which will get you to 3 miles at a reasonable pace.

What are the 7Ps?

• DesOdhi
    Options
    Thank you, this helped the most. @blues4miles
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

First off, 7Ps...

What are the 7Ps?

Prior planning prevents poor performance...

If your running is as bad as you suggest in your first post then the suggestion above does carry more injury risk. It's a bit late in the day to be resolving the very basics.

What officer trade are you going for?
  • DesOdhi
    Options
    31 Bravo. I can't exactly choose a trade right now. You're kind of placed until you rank.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Glad I could help @Destinyy be sure to come back, tag me, and let us know how it goes