I find it hard to believe...

Options
...that a 5-8 male who weighs 260 pounds will lose 2 lbs per week on 2400 calories like MFP says is my calorie goal. That would mean that 3400 would be maintenance. Seems high.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it and find out?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'4 female at 179lbs who maintains at 2400, so it doesn't surprise me.
  • ledzeppelinfan1
    ledzeppelinfan1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try it and find out?

I hear ya. I'm having success regardless, it just didn't seem right although it probably is. Thanks for the response
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

Have you checked with other sources such as http://www.calorieking.com/ ?

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. If you are having success, then why do you find it so hard to believe?
  • ledzeppelinfan1
    Options
    It's complicated. Lol
  • Skillet007
    Skillet007 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Dang, I wish MFP would have given me that many calories, ha ha. I'm doing 1800 a day. I'm 5'10" and 261 (down from 285 when I started using this app)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Doesn't surprise me, either. It does depend on your activity level, but I'm 5'3" and 112 pounds and I maintain on 1800 to 2300 calories per day depending on how active I am.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ...that a 5-8 male who weighs 260 pounds will lose 2 lbs per week on 2400 calories like MFP says is my calorie goal. That would mean that 3400 would be maintenance. Seems high.

what's your activity level? what do you do for a living?

• ledzeppelinfan1
    Options
    I would describe myself as being moderately active. I'm a caregiver
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Husband is 6'3" at 257 and he wants to lose some so he put that in and it only gave him 1890 per day to lose 1.5 per week. He does have a desk job though, so maybe that's the difference.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

If she's maintaining, she's maintaining. Seems accurate if she's living an active lifestyle.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds about right for someone of that weight...
    I only go by my husband, he's 6ft 2" and maintains on 3000 cals a day - he's 191lbs (he has a fairly active job)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Throw your trust in MFP. Be fair and accurate in counting and you should lose weight but hey, if you don't adjust until you do. I like this because its not a starvation platform. In fact I run so I can eat more calories.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

3,400 is maintenance for 260 pounds. Once you lose weight, the number of calories you need to maintain the weight loss will be less.
  • ledzeppelinfan1
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. :-)
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Seems legit. I'm a 5' 8" desk jockey weighing more than 80 pounds less than you and I lose about a pound per week on 2000-2100 calories.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    As per Fox Mulder - "The Truth Is Out There......." (well, actually its right here, in the above posts!!)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Um, I check with my scale and my progress, why would I need Calorie King?
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned you can set it at "lightly active". You can always add in some exercise logs if you are particularly active in a day.