Fitbit charge calories burned per day

Options
When I first joined mfp the app said that at a sedatary level (which I was) I needed 2300 calories to maintain my weight. I got a very physical job two months ago. I go up and down stairs all day. I lost 3 sizes since then. Everyone at work gas a fitbit because of all the stairs so I got one too. I wasn't ecen eatching what I eat but I am now. But here's the issue I'm seeing. It says on my best day I burn 2500 calories throughout the day. Yesterday it said I burned 2200 and I climbed over 50 floors. It also says I never go over 5k steps for the day. But I'm constantly moving. Should I listen to the tracker or mfp?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Constantly moving and constantly walking logging steps are two different things. Fitbit should not be logging steps for moving around, if that is what you mean.

And do you wear the device according to how you set it up in fitbit, the arm you wear it on for instance. Its sensitivity to motion will be according to your default settings.

With that in mind it is possible for Fitbit to miss stairs and not get all of them. . Happened to me. ALso such as things as waling with a grocery cart most likely will not pick up steps as your arm in motion is needed, etc.. ( i don't use a ftibit any more). And just because you did 50 stairs does not mean you put in more effort regarding the stair climbing or more effort into walking around, etc.. than you did the day before. The calories you get from fitbit steps are just steps and the calorie burning will be based on how it picks up an activity level you apply such as active, highly active, etc..) .

Also your stride setting in fitbit may need to be setup as well. I would actually setup all the configuration settings such as my stride, make sure you wear your band is according the recommendation of fitbit and perform some tests using it and also using the acitivity mode (stop watch on the band)..
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Yes it does miss a few stairs but I've learned how to keep my arm down whrn climbing but I can't imagine going from sitting on my butt to coming home after 8 hours in a pool of sweat and be only burning that amount. Just did my weekly weigh in and I've lost 2 pounds so I mean the exercise is working and thr stairs have seriously toned my legs so I don't want to complain but these fitbit numbers arr seriously confusing me.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    fitbits are pretty inaccurate and overall useless.

you are losing weight so you must be doing something right.

base your decisions on your weight change. if it stops going down, then adjust your calorie intake and it will start dropping again.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When I first joined mfp the app said that at a sedatary level (which I was) I needed 2300 calories to maintain my weight. I got a very physical job two months ago. I go up and down stairs all day. I lost 3 sizes since then. Everyone at work gas a fitbit because of all the stairs so I got one too. I wasn't ecen eatching what I eat but I am now. But here's the issue I'm seeing. It says on my best day I burn 2500 calories throughout the day. Yesterday it said I burned 2200 and I climbed over 50 floors. It also says I never go over 5k steps for the day. But I'm constantly moving. Should I listen to the tracker or mfp?

What is your current height and weight? I'm 5'9" and weigh 171lbs and at sedentary just to maintain I only get 2120 calories...If I had it set to lose 1lb per week it would be 1620, so Im not really sure why MFP would give you 2300...

As far as your fitbit accuracy, if you are holding onto some sort of shopping cart or rail it is possible it misses steps. Missed steps happen, but you likely get a few extra steps from random hand motions so it seems to even out. I have found my fitbit calorie burns to be very accurate.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    2300 is to stay at current weight. im using that as the example of what it says i would eat and not lose anything. if i follow what fitbit says and ate what it says i burn each day (in order to not gain or lose) I would eat less than what MFP says AND that is including a hell of a lot of physical activity. No activity + MFP = 2300 while Tons of activity + FitBit = 2200. That just doesn't make any sense. Like I said, I'm losing weight so fitbit has to be wrong on what it's saying im burning each day because I managed to lose what I have so far in 2 months (three sizes) without watching what I was eating.