Recipe Builder question

haviegirl
haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
I cook from scratch a lot, and use Recipe Builder regularly. It's fine for most things, as long as you use it thoughtfully. But yesterday, for example, I made a batch of Greek yogurt and a loaf of bread. When I want some yogurt, I spoon some out of the container. When I want a slice of bread, I slice one from the loaf. No two servings are going to be exactly the same, so I want to calculate the calories per gram (I do use a food scale.)

My loaf of bread weighed 745 grams. I know the calorie content of the loaf from all of the ingredients. Do I need to enter 745 as the number of servings in order to get a per gram calorie calculation? I know mathematically that is correct, but it seems clunky to say that my loaf of bread contains 745 servings.

Not to mention the calculations done after measuring the whey drained from the yogurt. Ingredients used, check. Weigh the batch, check. Then drain the whey and measure the yogurt, check. Measure the whey, check. But how to subtract that from the recipe? No idea. So I'm left with a lot of manual calculation to do.

Any ideas? Or do I just need to settle down and stop being such a nerd?

Replies

• InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    When I do this I base the serving on how many portions of food I made and just try to approximate each serving. You can look back in your diary and see if when you made 5 servings of you logged 5. That way I know my weekly calories are accurate even if the days are slightly wrong.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    edited March 2016
    Your loaf calculations are right. I have no idea what you are saying with the whey. Any recipe is weigh each ingredient and then weighing the finished product for serving size.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Sorry to be unclear. When you make Greek yogurt, you combine the ingredients and give it time to turn into yogurt, then you drain the whey from the mixture and refrigerate the (delicious!) Greek yogurt. So it's not just a sum of the various ingredients; it's a sum of those minus the whey. I can do those calculations on paper, no problem. What I wish I could do is use Recipe Builder to do all those calculations so that my logging (per gram) is easier. I appreciate you taking the time to read post and I'm sorry I was unclear.

Re the bread, my slices are roughly the same each time, I suppose. But I like to be accurate each day. Since I posted my question earlier, I changed my number of servings to 745. I guess I should have just done that from the beginning.

By the way, I use the whey from the yogurt in making the bread. Adds a lovely depth of flavor and a bit more protein!