Retail Sales job and Fitbit steps

Options
I posted this yesterday in the FitBit group, but no responses, so I'm gonna try again here....

I recently (early February) took a part-time retail sales job (in addition to my FT desk job).

Prior to this, I would walk most evenings 2-3miles, logging an average of 13000 steps/day. I don't have FitBit synced with MFP and only manually log my exercise calorie burn (i.e. calories burned during an intentional walk, complete with sneakers).

Since I started my PT job, my evening walks have been curtailed, as I work 2-3 evenings a week (5:30pm - 9:30pm). However, even on the days I work during the evenings, I get 13000-15000 steps. Today I got to my PT jobs at about 7500 steps, when I got home I'm now at 14000 steps.

I want to log the calories burned since I am fairly active, walking the sales floor for 4 hours. Should I consider walking the sales floor for 4 hours equivalent to my walking workouts which burn about 400cals (3miles, 1hr @ 3mph)?

I want to take advantage of the activity level of my PT job, but want to be realistic. I'm also a member of the MFP Move Your @$$ Challenge and didn't make my goal of 60 miles for February b/c I only log my "walking workouts" rather than total FitBit miles. Maybe log 2.5 "miles" on the evenings I work??

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Callie

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I posted this yesterday in the FitBit group, but no responses, so I'm gonna try again here....

Notifications for groups stopped working in 2014 and they never fixed the issue. The groups that aren't dead here are dying and will be eventually.

As for your question I think that depends on if you chose sedentary or active in your profile. If you chose sedentary it does make sense to sync your fitbit and add in those extra calories burned from walking around all day. I wouldn't equate it to running however. Just let it use the estimated Fit Bit calories.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I have my activity level set to sedentary and don't like to have FitBit adjust my total calories because I want to track my "intentional" physical activity, not my day-to-day regular activity - you know, the stuff I did when I gained all that weight.

• idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have my fitbit connected and also log my "intentional" exercise in MFP. By putting the time I exercise in MFP, it overrides the fitbit data for that time period. My activity level is also set to sedentary, so the additional calories I get from the fitbit adjustment are for the extra walks I squeak into the day. Those would be a pain to try to log through MFP and fitbit captures it really well and automatically gives me credit through the daily adjustment.