Modify goals after 10 lbs?

Options
I have lost 10lbs and MFP is suggesting I change my goals. However, I am still comfortable with staying with my target weight goal of 150 (I am 5'8). Also, I am exercising a little more but am still sedentary most of the day and have that type of job.Why should I change my goals if my life is still basically the same?

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    They may mean to modify your calorie intake goals. As you lose weight, you need to drop your calories to continue to lose. Just a thought. I started at 1200 cals, so I haven't gotten that message.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortable, stick with it. You'll still be in a deficit regardless.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, your BMR will change, along with your TDEE numbers. Every 10 pounds or so, you need to have them recalculated so your calorie deficit is still accurate according to your goal weight. That's all. Your actual goal weight shouldn't change.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10lbs and MFP is suggesting I change my goals. However, I am still comfortable with staying with my target weight goal of 150 (I am 5'8). Also, I am exercising a little more but am still sedentary most of the day and have that type of job.Why should I change my goals if my life is still basically the same?

As you lose weight, your requisite calories becomes less...as such, if no adjustment is made, you are essentially eating at a smaller deficit. When I started out, my maintenance calories were around 3000...35-40 Lbs down and my maintenance calories are around 2650. If you don't adjust down, you are closing the gap on your deficit.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I do the auto-calc and it reduces my calories after I've lost 7-10 lbs. because I don't need as much to maintain that weight. Therefore, if you want to maintain the same weightloss goals, your calorie intake will need to be adjusted for the loss.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    anybody else change your goal every time you lose weight?

i use to log on WebMD and it did that for you. So by habit when i drop 2 pounds I recalculate everything and reset all the numbers for macros where I want them.
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. It has been helpful. So basically this change refers to the BMR and TDEE and if your a using a percentage of that as how you set your goals. That makes sense. I checked mine and those numbers have gone down. However, 20% of my TDEE is pretty similar to my current MFP suggested calorie intake, so for right now I guess I will stay the same and reassess every few pounds lost.