hypothyroidism and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    jk051861 wrote: »
    Thanks friends. I'm 54, TSH of 6.5. Having all of the symptoms, actually for over a year. My gyno told me it was menopause coming on causing the symptoms even though my TSH was slightly high. This year I told my GP about it. The TSH is higher, the weight is higher, the hair loss is evident. She had no problem starting me on a regimen. I go back for lab tests in 6 weeks, but I truly hope to start feeling better much sooner. I'm so tired of being tired.

I went through the same thing -- everything blamed on menopause until my TSH came back at 7.68. I started feeling better within a week or two of starting medication. The brain fog was the first thing to improve. It took about six weeks for me to be able to start losing weight. Within two/three months of starting medication I felt like the calendar had been rolled back 10 or 15 years. It was like levothyroxine was my fountain of youth. :)
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Agree with what everyone is sharing.... it can be extremely frustrating trying to figure out the right dosage and the right regime for you to feel better. It took probably 2 years of this, that and the other before being diagnosed with hypothyroid/Hashimoto. My 104 year old grandmother had her thyroid out many years ago, my 83 year old mother is hypothyroid, (walks 6 miles a day & plays 18 everyday); my sister (60) is hypo/Hashi...well, you can see genetics play a major role. However, that is the good news also. If my 104 year old grandma is doing so well - lives by herself, but did give up driving last year at 103, then there is hope for all! I have lost and maintained 70# - but that took much research and trial and error to find what works and makes me feel better. Walking/jogging a little, I have cut out and don't miss anymore, anything made from wheat (yep, gluten), watch sugar very carefully. It may not work for everyone - but, I actually can stay awake all day at work (yay!), do 5-6 miles a day with my dogs when I get home and sleep much better.

Moral to this story -- Hang in there! Find the right medication level, right combination of foods that make you feel good, and even when you don't want to, at least go for a walk. You will be happily surprised when in a month or two you actually Feel like doing these things. Oh yes, and of course, like so many have said - take that thyroid medication upon rising in the morning before anything else. I walk into the bathroom, pop that pill with a nice glass of water and then start my day.