Taking up running... Anyone else?

Options
So ive decided now my puppy is allowed out for walks to take up running... Done 2x 3 mile walk/jogs sofar & feeling much more motivated to loose weight now! Anyone else go running or that has just started that wud like to chat/ motivate me? I run with my buggy too so be nice to hear from anyone else who does! X

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I run regularly though im not just beginning. , and with a stroller when the weather allows!
  • Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Started running in August with c25k and I could barely run that first minute, now I run a mile without stopping...Woo Hoo!!! Who woulda thunk??? It feels great and Im finding I love running.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm doing c25k now on week 5
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last Friday. Day 1 was not too much fun, but day 2 was a lot better. Day 3 of week 1 is tomorrow. I'm attempting to do a 5K at the end of May.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    As soon as weather allows will start C25k
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    just started running last week. Toughest part has been starting the run each day.
  • xsloanex
    xsloanex Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking of doing C25K but atm im just running what i can then walking briskly inbetween. Lol. Hopefully ill end up being able to run all of it!
    Going to aim for 3 miles run/walk this morn once ive dropped ds at nursery. Anyone else running this morn? Ill let u know how well i did when im back!
  • xsloanex
    Options
    Anyone got FitBit btw n ill add u? We can motivate each other then (u can all motivate me!!
  • xsloanex
    Options
    Just over 2.5 miles ran/walked. Knackered now!! Lol
  • jasonmears75
    jasonmears75 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love running! It becomes addictive once you get to where your muscles aren't sore any more. Makes sure you have good shoes made for running though, it makes a world of a difference.

When I started running a few years back I was 240lbs. So you can imagine I didn't have a lot of stamina. Started out a mile at a time. You'll get "broke" into it and it will be something you'll look forward to every day.
    Best of wishes with your journey!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i started running in may. i really enjoy it
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am still a newbie. Gotten up to 3 miles, finally......
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I am getting back into it after time off.

Remember new runners, stay slow! Jog not run! You should be able to pass the "talk test", carry on a conversation while you jog, otherwise you are running too fast. Speed will come later. Now you just want to build up your distance and work on not getting injured. Keep at it!
  • MelanieDawn_80
    MelanieDawn_80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just started couch to 5k and it's tough. I never thought I was built to run but I'm learning to love it! 45 lbs to go and ready to shred it!
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am redoing C25K. Have never been a runner and have had to learn how to go *really* slow to get through the intervals, but I'm doing it.

Just a word on puppies - remember that dogs have to condition up to exercise just like we do and that puppies (esp larger breeds) don't have fully formed bones and joints yet and shouldn't be doing super strenuous exercise. 3 miles sounds like a lot for a newly-allowed-out (I'd assume around 4 mo?) pup.
  • debbiecousins10
    debbiecousins10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have recently started. Well I just finished week 7 of Couch25K. That programme is AMAZING. Highly recommend it. I am 53 years old and have never run ..... and I mean never. Couldn't even run at school and I was the skinniest girl. Well done to everyone for getting going.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm not a beginner but a lover of running. My day is so much better when I get my morning runs in :smiley:
  • melb9999
    melb9999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    xsloanex wrote: »
    So ive decided now my puppy is allowed out for walks to take up running... Done 2x 3 mile walk/jogs sofar & feeling much more motivated to loose weight now! Anyone else go running or that has just started that wud like to chat/ motivate me? I run with my buggy too so be nice to hear from anyone else who does! X

• melb9999
    melb9999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on week 4 of c25k. I love it. I never thought I would love running so much! I want to get our new pup out with me when it starts to warm up here! Good luck to you!
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 k in April so I should be But I hate running on the treadmill so I only do it when the weather is nice.