Why is Slow Weight Loss Good?

Options
13»

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I am curious however, as to the proof that it is better to lose "slow and steady", that guarantees keeping the weight off. Not trying to diss anyone or disagree, but my personal experience, so far, is contrary to this.

Is it perhaps what someone mentioned in an earlier post, about having more time to establish healthier habits that you're more likely to keep once the weight is off?

It could work either way, I guess - either someone losing slowly might learn new ways of eating and exercising that help them stay close to their goal in the (even) longer term, or someone who loses fast might be so impressed and overjoyed with their success that they'll work hard to keep it.

From my own personal viewpoint, although I'd love to lose fast the only way for me to do so (based on my current results) would be to cut my calories to the point where I'd be constantly hungry, and even if I managed to stick with it long enough to get rid of a decent amount of weight there's no way I could sustain those kind of habits long term. So slow and steady seems to be my best chance of permanent success, but we're all different and others might not feel the same way.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure slow is better. There should be more studies. Some interesting theories are presented in this thread.