Question for friends who have seen serious results lifting!

Options
Hey guys, here's the deal.
5 or 6 years ago I lost 65-70 lbs and I've managed to keep it off (albeit minor fluctuations.)
I've always been a cardio queen, but have dabbled a little in plyo, kickboxing, yoga, and a LITTLE lifting. I really want to lean out and lose the last 15-20 lbs that I've never been able to kick, so I've decided to start a strength training program.
My question is about cardio!
It feels wrong to skip. I'm used to doing 45-60 minutes, 3 times a week, but have read that 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week is enough.
Should I cut down?? What did y'all do???? Help!!!!!

Replies

• robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Very similar to you. I think I lost most of my weight via extended cardio & low calories. After hitting my goal I got more and more into weight lifting. Maybe it's an excuse but my calories increased - not sure if I justified it by that I am lifting weights = more calories for muscle growth or maybe I just got lazy since I hit my goal. I added about 10 lbs back on but have been maintaining pretty good for over a year.

I feel bad if I don't do cardio. On heaving lifting days I will do less cardio and light lifting days do extended cardio. Just mix it up.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you support it nutritionally (i.e., eat enough) I see no problem with 45-60 minutes 3x/wk. I would just say to pay attention to how you are feeling. You may find that, in the beginning at least, you don't have as much energy for longer cardio sessions. One you become accustomed to lifting regularly, you will likely be fine.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I like keeping up with my cardio. it is reasonable to pretty much do as much as you like on your off days from lifting.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    20-30 minutes 3x/week is enough if your primary goal is strength and overall health. The CDC minimum recommendation is 75 minutes of intense cardio (running), which can easily be achieved by that 20-30 min 3x/week.

However, if you want to do lifting 3x/week for ~1hr each and cardio 3x/week for ~1hr each go for it. Just make sure you fuel your workouts.

Personally, I lift 3x/week and sporadically do cardio. During the warmer months I play Ultimate Frisbee for ~2 hours 1x/week and that is how I get my cardio in.

EDIT: also, remember that losing the last 15lb is all about the deficit (same as the first 15lb). While lifting will help you retain muscle, it won't help you lose weight any faster than cardio. Keep the weight loss reasonable (1% of your bodyweight or less per week), eat your protein and lift and you should see good results.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it keep doing it. For lifting to be optimal, try to lift before you do cardio. But otherwise, I don't see why you would cut it out unless you aren't enjoying it anymore.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I lift 3-5 days a week, and go for at least 10-30 minutes of cardio every day (sometimes HIIT).
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Pretty similar to you but started lifting last summer and follow strong lifts which doesn't really allow for much cardio. I'm happy with it, I think I'm looking better and even have abs that are starting to show which I though was impossible for me. I haven't lost weight though, but that's not my goal anymore. Maybe you should consider a recomp since your body seems to like the weight it's at.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I do both. I lift weights and am now training for a meet. Also do cardio because have a 10k obstacle race plus will do a half-marathon in fall.

None of which are done for the calories or to help with these pesky lbs. Just working the deficit there for that part. Or trying. Not always successful but also know why. ;-)
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Just set a 10lb deadlift PR at 10lbs lower bodyweight after rowing 9 miles that morning. 415lbs @ 177lbs bw.

Anyone who says you can't do cardio and get strong, or you can't gain strength while losing weight, is not trying hard enough.

Yes, I'd be gaining strength faster if I wasn't doing cardio and losing weight, but my goal isn't fastest possible strength gain.
  • blpasquarella
    blpasquarella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Guess I'll just have to figure out what works best for me.