Grrr!! Getting discouraged!

Options
I have be doing good with watching what I eat, exercising and NOTHING! No weight loss. I have my diary open. I don't get what I am doing wrong. I started 30DS yesterday and I am doing that in the mornings. I walk 3 times a week if not more. I go to my boxing/kickboxing class 2-3 times a week. Nothing! I don't understand. I drink 100oz of water a day and I do not drink any pop whatsoever.

Replies

• Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I will take a look @ your diary entries for the last week, and try to give you some feed back. However, I have a feeling from glancing at it previously that your food and water are decent. If you are kickboxing it might be a matter of changing body composition. Don't get discouraged we'll figure it out.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Water weight - Take measurements instead.
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're not eating nearly enough compared to what you're burning. When you do this, your body is aware that it's not getting all that it needs to just run itself (keep your heart going, etc.) and it will start hoarding the calories that you DO give it. You gotta respect your body and its needs - and it'll be nice back to you. There will be other advice here I'm sure - but I'd suggest never netting under 1200 calories a day. Meaning if you eat 1200 calories, and then burn 1000 through exercise, you've only really left your body 200ish calories to keep itself running which is NOT enough.

Up your food and calories with healthy, dense foods and your body will stop hoarding fat and calories and will reward you.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    At a quick glance I would double check the numbers on some of your homemade, some seem a little low.
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So I looked at your diary, and between food and exercise, you never net more than 1000 calories, and often it's under 500. I don't know how much reading you've done on the forums, but most people will tell you that's unhealthy and probably hindering your weight loss.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your diary... you aren't eating enough! Eating only 700 a day is a big NO NO. You HAVE to eat at least 1200 calories or your body goes into starvation mode and turns whatever you eat into fat. So go have some healthy snacks and give your body the fuel it needs to run for the day.
  • LaniesMom
    LaniesMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would suggest removing gluten/bread and dairy --at least short term. Small changes to what you eat can make a difference. You have the exercise, water, and calories down so I think it might have something to do with what you are eating and how your body is reacting to it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well first off, it's been what - less than a month? Gotta give it time.

Second, after looking at your diary, you are not eating nearly enough. MFP has you set at the bare minimum of a 1200 calorie goal. And goal means GOAL - not 400 under, not 500 under, not to mention all the cals you burned through exercise. :noway:

Your daily goal has a deficit built in already - meaning eat to goal, the full 1200 calories, every day and do zero exercise, and you would lose weight. When you exercise and burn more cals, you're creating a HUGE deficit, which is not good. Food is fuel, and you gotta fuel that furnace if you want it to burn. Eat too little for too long and you're giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Looks like you have about 45lbs to lose? If so, set your weekly loss goal to no more than 1 lb a week. Eat your calories, drink plenty of water, exercise, get good rest. Take progress photos and measurements - these will often show progress when the scale doesn't. And be patient - we didn't gain the extra weight in a few weeks, and we won't lose it in a few weeks. It takes time, but it's worth it. And slow and steady is the way to go if you want to keep it off. Develop good healthy habits that you can stick to, so it's a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet or exercise plan - temporary changes = temporary results.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    1. Your not eating enough. Yesterday you ate a net of 200 calories. I also am not sure if your tracking correctly or all of it. You wrote that you had spaghetti sauce made with turkey and garli toast but did you not have noodles with it?

2. Sme of your homemade items my be inaccurate also. You said you ate a half ham and cheese sandwich ( I don't remember what day) and that it was something like 140 ish calories. There is no way that's true. The bread alone should be around 90 calories a slice, cheese around 100 and then add the ham and whatever condiments.

3. Eat more! Your odd needs nutritious flourish. Your protien lacks considering your workouts. Try to recalculate your macros to 40 % carbs 30% fat 30% protien it wil get you eating m ore lean meats and protien dense foods. Also I noticed a lot of shakes and snack type foods. Add some more veggies and and fruits
  • MrsKiss21
    MrsKiss21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1. Your not eating enough. Yesterday you ate a net of 200 calories. I also am not sure if your tracking correctly or all of it. You wrote that you had spaghetti sauce made with turkey and garli toast but did you not have noodles with it?

2. Sme of your homemade items my be inaccurate also. You said you ate a half ham and cheese sandwich ( I don't remember what day) and that it was something like 140 ish calories. There is no way that's true. The bread alone should be around 90 calories a slice, cheese around 100 and then add the ham and whatever condiments.

3. Eat more! Your odd needs nutritious flourish. Your protien lacks considering your workouts. Try to recalculate your macros to 40 % carbs 30% fat 30% protien it wil get you eating m ore lean meats and protien dense foods. Also I noticed a lot of shakes and snack type foods. Add some more veggies and and fruits

Nope, no noodles. Not a big fan of spaghetti noodles. I like pasta once in awhile but not all the time. I actually prefer the sauce on top of the cheese toast better.
  • MrsKiss21
    Options

Nope, no noodles. Not a big fan of spaghetti noodles. I like pasta once in awhile but not all the time. I actually prefer the sauce on top of the cheese toast better.

There was no cheese on the sandwich but I couldn't find that option. Just plain. It was a whole wheat junior bun and a slice of ham.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more... I looked through your diary and your eating on average around 700-800 net cals per day... you should be netting at least 1200 on the low side :) meaning you eat 1200 calories, but then if you exercise and burn, lets say 300 calories, you have to eat those calories too, with a total of 1500 calories net to cover your exercise. Your body will fight you, and even though your metabolism can not "stop" from eating to little, it will slow down in order to protect itself. My second week here I was eating only 1200 calories and didn't lose anything, I upped my cals to closer to 1400 and started losing consitantly... Starving yourself to lose weight is a myth, and makes this a lot harder than it needs to be :) Good luck! :smile:
  • lf2005
    lf2005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Also, eat breakfast EVERY DAY.

Maybe set a timer to eat 5-6 small meals/snacks (200 calories each) every 2-1/2 to 3 hours. 6 meals at 200 calories is your 1200 calorie GOAL.

You can do this!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

There was no cheese on the sandwich but I couldn't find that option. Just plain. It was a whole wheat junior bun and a slice of ham.

So the better way to log your sandwich would have been to break it down rather than trust the foods already entered. S enter in the bun separately and the ham seperately. It take slime to build your recipes but you can get much more accurate data. Lots of the foods already listed are completely wrong as seem people like to fool themselves when entering to stay under thier goal.

But all that aside the real problem you have is your not eating enough. You need to make sure that your NET calories are at the goal given you by MFP. S if you eat 1200 and then burn 400 you need to add another real to equal 400 to get back to 1200. Your net is often below 500-700 a day.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Unless you're creating recipes and naming them yourself, all those "homemades" could be hiding a whole bunch of calories. How do you know that the person who created that food made the sandwich, etc with the same ingredients as you did? It's guessing at best. If you're making something you've got to take the long way and log all the separate ingredients and their amounts.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I definitely agree she should be eating more :) But about the sandwich, my bread is 50 cals per slice (natures own 100% whole wheat) but your point was a good one, she should be putting in her specific ingredients for the foods she makes otherwise shes relying on the idea that someone else's food they made was the exact same brand, and calorie dense.
  • lilly82663
    Options

• mrsroc2010
    mrsroc2010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well first off, it's been what - less than a month? Gotta give it time.

Second, after looking at your diary, you are not eating nearly enough. MFP has you set at the bare minimum of a 1200 calorie goal. And goal means GOAL - not 400 under, not 500 under, not to mention all the cals you burned through exercise. :noway:

Your daily goal has a deficit built in already - meaning eat to goal, the full 1200 calories, every day and do zero exercise, and you would lose weight. When you exercise and burn more cals, you're creating a HUGE deficit, which is not good. Food is fuel, and you gotta fuel that furnace if you want it to burn. Eat too little for too long and you're giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Looks like you have about 45lbs to lose? If so, set your weekly loss goal to no more than 1 lb a week. Eat your calories, drink plenty of water, exercise, get good rest. Take progress photos and measurements - these will often show progress when the scale doesn't. And be patient - we didn't gain the extra weight in a few weeks, and we won't lose it in a few weeks. It takes time, but it's worth it. And slow and steady is the way to go if you want to keep it off. Develop good healthy habits that you can stick to, so it's a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet or exercise plan - temporary changes = temporary results.

Well spoken advice. I totally agree.:wink:
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? How tall are you? What is your goal weight?

How are you calculating your exercise calories? Without and HRM (heart rate monitor), you could be very off in that calculation.

I see a lot of partial portions in your food diary and I see your explanation re the ham & cheese sandwich. If you are estimating calories using portions because you cannot find the appropriate food choice in the listing, find a different way! You should be weighing and measuring all food before eating it. A ham sandwich? Separate the items. Find the bread. Log it. Find the ham. Log it. If you cannot find it on MFP, go by the label on the package or look it up on the internet. How much is a slice of ham? Depends on how thick, that is why it is essential to weigh it. 2 oz of ham would be about 60 calories, but 4 oz would be more of a serving, making it 120 calories. And a whole wheat junior bun? I couldn't find that, but I do note that a whole wheat shorti bun from Wawa is 240 calories. That's a lot.
  • MrsKiss21
    Options
    How much do you weigh? How tall are you? What is your goal weight?

How are you calculating your exercise calories? Without and HRM (heart rate monitor), you could be very off in that calculation.

I see a lot of partial portions in your food diary and I see your explanation re the ham & cheese sandwich. If you are estimating calories using portions because you cannot find the appropriate food choice in the listing, find a different way! You should be weighing and measuring all food before eating it. A ham sandwich? Separate the items. Find the bread. Log it. Find the ham. Log it. If you cannot find it on MFP, go by the label on the package or look it up on the internet. How much is a slice of ham? Depends on how thick, that is why it is essential to weigh it. 2 oz of ham would be about 60 calories, but 4 oz would be more of a serving, making it 120 calories. And a whole wheat junior bun? I couldn't find that, but I do note that a whole wheat shorti bun from Wawa is 240 calories. That's a lot.

I am 165 and I want to be at or below 120. I am 5'6". After I had my second daughter, I went back down to 100lbs and was very happy with that. SInce having my son, I just can't get rid of any weight. I am 33.