Options
2»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This:
    http://www.luckyironfish.com

Simmer in water for a few minutes before you cook your rice or oatmeal.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    For chickpeas try falafels and hummus
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I second jgnatcha's lucky iron fish idea. I don't need the extra iron, since I'm postmenopausal, but it's SUCH a cool idea.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Wow @cbelc2 !! I had no idea that tea inhibited iron absorption. I drink a little tea and coffee ( which I read also inhibits iron absorption). I am anemic and will re-think coffee and tea :(

I will certainly try Hibiscus tea!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    ilonapook wrote: »
    greej wrote: »
    Lentils!

I have made lentil soup. Any other recipe suggestions ? What can you mix with it as a side dish so its not just mushy?

Green lentils are not as mushy as red and hold up better for lentil salads or lentil stew.
  • ilonapook
    ilonapook Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great to know ....I have only ever bought red
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Blood pudding. It sounds gross but all fried up it's delicious, high in iron and very good for you. Some recipes are much better than others. Maple leaf used to make it and it was the only kind I'd buy but they stopped making it. Now I get mine from Bavarian Meats which is almost identical to Maple Leafs recipe.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    wl4v wrote: »
    If am low on Iron I'll use a tbsp of black strap molasses in my tea or drizzled in my oatmeal. 1 Tbsp has 20% or the dv for Iron and tons of potassium.

I was about to mention molasses. Among the sweeteners, it's the one that's ALSO a stealth "health" food with those unexpected nutrients!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I never hit my iron goal either. I don't really care for cereal. I did make cheesy grits last night, so that was good. Someone else told me that you probably get more iron then you think because food labels only have to list iron when it hits a certain percentage of RDA. I'm not sure how true that is. I'd like to think it. lol
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Even though I am post-menopausal, my iron at best has tested at the very low end of normal. So it's therapeutic iron for me. And my lucky iron fish. Hubby has no idea how many ways I sneak it in to our dishes. For those of you who don't care for cereal, there's always beef!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal has a surprising amount of iron. I also will throw a bunch of spinach into my morning protein smoothie.

I didn't know about molasses, I'll have to try that! I've recently found out that my iron is low so I've been trying to bring it up lately.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I try to use my cast iron pan as much as possible. For what it's worth, I'm a vegetarian and am always pretty low on my iron intake but just got tested and I'm fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    Oatmeal has a surprising amount of iron. I also will throw a bunch of spinach into my morning protein smoothie.

I didn't know about molasses, I'll have to try that! I've recently found out that my iron is low so I've been trying to bring it up lately.

Only fortified oats have a surprising amount of iron. And if you're going to get your iron from a food that has had iron added to it, you may as well take a supplement so you can control the form of iron. I tried five forms of iron before I found one that got my levels and energy up - Iron Bisglycinate. The VA had given me two presumably cheap forms of iron that did not prevent hair loss and fatigue.

eddb2918cf0d4b2175827735f4ee9416.png

• rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    ilonapook wrote: »
    greej wrote: »
    Lentils!

I have made lentil soup. Any other recipe suggestions ? What can you mix with it as a side dish so its not just mushy?

There are tons of ways to have lentils. Mexican, herbed/ Italian, curried, Cajun....Just don't over cook. They should be soft but not mushy. Serve with rice or quinoa for more protein. (In case you can't tell, I LOVE lentils)
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Shredded wheat cereal is an excellent source of iron too (enriched).
  • mritz129
    mritz129 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hibiscus tea ☕️

Really?? I am going to look into that. I love tea
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was told that vitamin C at the same time as iron may help absorption, while dairy at the same time may hinder it. So I try to keep that in mind when I'm taking my iron supplement (just for when I time it in my day).

Tomatoes are a pretty good source of iron which nobody has mentioned. But of course it is non-heme iron (vegetable source) so it is harder to absorb.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I tried blood pudding. I was at Universal Studios at one of the Harry Potter restaurants having my free breakfast that came with my package. It said Black Pudding. Imagine my disappointment when I asked where the chocolate pudding was that was supposed to come with my meal. I tasted it. It must be an aquired taste.