How many times did you 'start again' until you finally put your all into loosing the weight?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    xxteeleexx wrote: »
    As you know, weightloss isn't simple.
    Many people try so many different things and start again on numerous occasions.. Before that *last* attempt when they actually stick to it and ditch the weight.

How many times did you start again and what was he difference in the final time?

Interesting question. I'd say it is simple once you find the right calorie level.
    How do I know this is my final time? I'm at my lowest weight in 5 years but not at my goal yet.
    I do know this time has been the easiest and most succesful of all my attempts in 15 years. It isn't like I never lost weight before or never made an effort.

What made this time different:
    I used mfp and found out the right calories for me. I had never counted calories or logged food before. I find it surprisingly easy to do this. Why did I do dumb diets instead of this?
    This time I did not give up a bunch of foods or do extreme things. I pretty much eat the same stuff so it is very easy to sustain long term.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How many stars are there in the sky?

Okay, not quite that many. I have to admit - I actually believed in CICO and mostly did calorie counting all the time, apart from one attempt at Atkins. My main problem in the past was simply being unrealistic. 1300 calories/day as a 300+ lb man was over a 2,000 calorie deficit - weight loss was fast, but compliance sucked and I was always ravenously hungry, then I'd have a bad day, eat a ton, and then promise myself I'd start again "tomorrow", which of course was always a day away.

I think I've now gotten a handle on setting appropriate calorie goals, and I now don't get so worked up if I was to have one bad day. The really funny part is, over time I actually lose faster this time, because I'm not oscillating between restrict and binge.

Although, I also wouldn't say I "put my all" into it this time, either. I worked this time to build habits to keep me on track even when I don't particularly feel motivated. Largely, it's pre-logging my meals the night before, so I just have to stick to the script. Even when I'm not motivated, I appreciate it because it means I don't have to think, I just have to do.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've started and stopped about 10 or more times. I was 250lbs at age 10. Got up to 360+ before I stopped stepping on scales.

Basically I have done everything from not eating, atkins, eating in "moderation" being vegetarian to netting 500 cals plus hours at the gym.

I dont feel bad about starting and stopping so much with each failed attempt I have learned something and applied it to my next try.

I am re starting again in fact. I went from 305 to 210 and then started to binge. I was netting a low amount of cals and over working out, which lead me to rebelling and eating all the "bad" food I wasn't allowing myself to.

I'm working on a life long health approach now using TDEE vs NEAT and focusing on just eating for health with a treat here and there. Working out because I want to be stronger and its good for my body :)
  • steponebyone
    steponebyone Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I constantly start and stop again. About 10lbs left to go, but I find myself not logging for weeks, and then going back to it after gaining a couple. I don't think we have to have it all figured out all the time. Just go at your rate and the pounds will fall off, even if it takes a little linger than expected.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This is the only time I've ever made any effort to lose weight (other than just talking about it). I've lost a little over 50 pounds in about 8 months, and I'm looking to drop another 20 or so before I'm done. I feel 99.9% confident that I will not gain the weight back, but the crazy low statistics for people who actually keep the weight off for good give me pause.

I'm curious. For those that said this was not their first time to the rodeo, do you think that if you had started with MFP the first time, you would have needed a second or third time?

Nope @missblondi2u

I think the difference is an eye on maintenance rather than the specific tool that is working for you

every time I've dieted I've done it on an "If I can lose this weight then I can go back to normal when I stop losing" but normal makes me fat

I approached this from the start with no end - sure I had goals but no end - so the fact that I continue to log and follow habits I took up during loss just with a few more calories means this is my new normal

The thing is it took me decades to realise that there is no 'going back to normal' there is just 'try to create a new normal' which generally doesn't need much focus because logging is 2nd nature but sometimes still I could retreat to old me - so sometimes I need to kick myself in my proverbial butt

I actually think today is one of those days
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    This is the only time I've ever made any effort to lose weight (other than just talking about it). I've lost a little over 50 pounds in about 8 months, and I'm looking to drop another 20 or so before I'm done. I feel 99.9% confident that I will not gain the weight back, but the crazy low statistics for people who actually keep the weight off for good give me pause.

I'm curious. For those that said this was not their first time to the rodeo, do you think that if you had started with MFP the first time, you would have needed a second or third time?

This is my 3rd time
    I wasn't motivated enough before and became slack, I gave up too easily and thought of it as a diet. It's not , this is a lifestyle change, now that I get that it all falls into place.
    Just CICO , I knew the obvious , but some how thought I had to add in other restrictions ( like paleo, gluten free, etc etc ) when really it's all about eating correct portions for my size , moving a bit more ( I only walk) and now I am consistently seeing changes.
    I can go out , enjoy special occasions , have a treat or too, I'm not deprived.

I don't think it was in my head the first few times , that's why I gave up.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The first time I seriously, or rather stupidly, tried to lose weight quickly I was 14. I lost weight quickly and contracted pneumonia from the weakened immune system caused by my horridly unbalanced nutritional intake. I ate only air-popped popcorn and drank only Diet Dr Pepper. After surviving the pneumonia, I quickly regained all the recently lost weight and then gained as much as 20lb per year for the next 20+ years. At the age of 37 I experienced a mental toggle switch flip and decided to cease doing the things necessary to maintain a weight of about 370. Since Y2K, I've been making small adjustments to my life and my food intake, experimenting with nutrient balance and variety, and just generally looking to continue losing weight the way I lost in Y2K. That wasn't working. I found MFP in January of this year and finally had the tools I needed. It's not really possible to answer "how many times I started before I got serious", because I might not be serious. At the moment, I'm logging my food and planning my meals and hitting my calorie, protein and sodium targets. It seems that I haven't given up on me just yet.
  • alicetl4
    alicetl4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    I think I started every Monday for six years. :D That's a slight exaggeration, but you get the point.

The difference this time:
    I decided that I had to trust the process and just keep going.

I realized I often gave up when I felt it wasn't working, assuming I would never get there. So, I told myself that consistency would get me there eventually, even if it was slower than I wanted. But I was just going to keep going. "Trust the process" has been something I repeat daily.

I think that's the difference for me too, although hadn't realised til I read this :-)
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Probably about 5 or 6 times over the course of a decade. This time, I have decided that I am going to keep logging forever. I'm not on a diet. I don't deny myself birthday cake or treats on holiday. I just log it all and accept that if I go over my allowance, I'm not going to lose weight and it will take me longer to get to my goal. Sometimes I decide that my goal is more important so I don't drink alcohol on a night out or go out for pizza. I can choose how fast or slowly I get to goal, but I know I will get there. As far as exercise goes, my fitness goals are separate from my weight loss goals and I prioritise my training because those goals are important to me. I don't see any of this as temporary anymore. This is my lifestyle now. That is the big difference between this time and all the previous attempts.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have given up so many times... I feel loosing motivation is a key! I lost someone in my family and feel that weight was a key issue in this, and this is the motivation I needed! I have lost 26lb in 2 months! The commitment I have to continue after a bad day and the accountability I feel now is so different to the previous times. This time I have set me smaller targets and am now so close to half way! (2 lbs to go) I eat all foods and have everything prepared! if you look in my freezer at home you will find 30 pre prepared meals, no excuses for a stressful day as i did the prep earlier. I have never been so organised with my weight loss before! i even have my mum helping :)
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used mfp and found out the right calories for me. I had never counted calories or logged food before. I find it surprisingly easy to do this. Why did I do dumb diets instead of this?
    This time I did not give up a bunch of foods or do extreme things. I pretty much eat the same stuff so it is very easy to sustain long term.

^^^^^ THIS. definitely this! ^^^^^
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've lost weight twice (so technically 'started again' once). Never cared at all about my weight (which crept up slowly and steadily over a decade or so of matching portion sizes with a man a foot taller than me) until it started to impact my health. Lost 60lbs (on MFP), then had a new health issue and put half of it back (because paying attention to how much I was eating just wasn't my priority). Back on MFP last year and lost it again. I agree with the poster who said it's simple but not easy. The difficult part was making it a priority, and once my head was in the right place, I found the process simple.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    xxteeleexx wrote: »
    How many times did you start again and what was he difference in the final time?

Too many times to count.

The difference? Health problems due to one of those previous attempts. 11kg down since Fall 2014, half of that since I joined MFP beginning of January. :smile:
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I remember my mum calorie counting back in the 80's (if I remember it was 1000 cals a day then)
    I've done weight watchers in the past and a couple of times on mfp. I never have had that much to lose, usually between half a stone and a stone. This is the most I've ever had, around 30lb from starting weight to goal but i have set my goal lower this time too.

My trouble in the past is, I've always been ok losing the weight and getting to goal but I don't think about the maintenance and so it creeps back on and then I have to start again.
    So this time it's all about the maintenance.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have come into this thread many times and not known how to answer, and I think the reason is that for me, giving my all is not sustainable. This time around, I am trying to figure out exactly how slack I can be on average and still progress toward my goals, however slowly. Will this be the time? Don't know yet, but I'm OK with it taking a really long time because being "done" is a dangerous place for me.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    It's not really a countable thing, but I'd been trying on and off since High School, maybe even middle school, to lose weight to varying degrees of success. I knew CICO was the answer, but it was just so hard. Not to say that it isn't still hard, but I was eating foods I didn't like, getting bored of it, and eventually overeating something else.

My weight loss hasn't been consistent over this past year by any means. I'll lose 5-10 lbs, stall for a few weeks or so while I readjust my eating/exercise, lose another 5-10 lbs and repeat. But while it's a slow journey, I really believe it's sustainable in the long term.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    We all have started and stopped, but I think the thing that hit me the most this time was. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. And also losing the same 10 pounds over and over.

I really started to see the results in my efforts and this time, I didn't want to go back. That is my motivation! It is no longer a diet and exercise plan, it is a way of life for me. And I couldn't be happier, mind, body, and soul!

Finally at peace with myself. Just believe in yourself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think I've been dieting my whole life. At least since jr. high school. Gain a few, lose a few. I've never failed to meet my goal or maintain the loss for a while. Sometimes a year, sometimes several years. I've never followed a fad diet or diet with a name, just eat less move more.

Will I maintain longer this time? I really don't know. I've never "given up" or consciously gained weight.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Serious tries probably only about 3 times. It's more clicked this time because I know it's not a diet and it includes all the food I like.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Once I found MFP this is the only time as all the other times before that were 'diets' that were destined to fail. Finding & using MFP I may slip up on occasion on choices but I always get back up and do what I've found works. Track my food, utilize the gym and find tips and trade them with other members.