P90X Macros vs MFP Macros

Options
Should I shoot for the 50% protein that P90X suggests or stick to the 15% protein that MFP suggests for me?

Replies

• erica_denton
    erica_denton Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    15% sounds extremely low! I wouldn't do anything less than 35% at the bare minimum honestly!
  • rolemodel69
    rolemodel69 Posts: 365
    Options
    THE MFP default protein value of 15% is way too low!

If your goal is to lose weight, you should use the Fat Shredding Macros with 50% Protein for a maximum of 6 weeks and then switch to the Energy Booster Macros with 40% Protein.
  • Maasmondy
    Maasmondy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Follow the P90X nutrition guide, to a "T" if you can. The first phase will really set the tone for the entire program! Protein is your friend, embrace the protein!

I'm a P90X grad, so feel free to add me. :D
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    You want to get at least 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass. Estimate your body fat, calculate your LBM, and adjust the percentage until it is AT LEAST that. If you are lazy, then you could just set it between 30-40% which should cover it. You really don't need more than that, but you definitely need more than MFP gives you.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If doing P90X follow their macros, you will thank yourself for doing it!

But in general 15% is fine only if you do not exercise at all! If you walk places, go for runs, lift weights, do strength and cardio training or anything like that then you should have between 30-50% protein, use carbs to fuel your exercise and protein to recover.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm having a really hard time getting protein without fat. I'm not a big fan of chicken. Is that the only way to do it?