Is special K alright to eat if you're eating clean

Options
Is it alright to eat special k vanilla almond cereal in the morning when I don't have time to make eggs or oatmeal? I'm trying to stay on a clean eating diet

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of "clean". The problem with "clean eating" is that it doesn't have any one definition, so you'll likely get different answers.

I eat "dirty", but I would wager the answer is "no" due to processing.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Clean eating has a lot of different definitions. Some would say Special K is fine and some would say absolutely not. It's going to depend on your personal goals and beliefs.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    It's okay to eat anything you want as long as it fits into your calorie goal for the day. Why not?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your definition of clean. I cannot think of any definition of clean that would include Special K, but I can't think of any good reason to exclude it if you want to eat it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your definition of clean. I cannot think of any definition of clean that would include Special K, but I can't think of any good reason to exclude it if you want to eat it.

This.
  • PunkDollx
    PunkDollx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut back on sugar intake and any fried or junk food I guess that's my definition of clean eating no junk food or juice or anything fried but I'm not sure if special k would be considered junk food
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eating clean means nothing so if you want to eat special k go for it

You know in terms of calorie it's no lower than many brands on the market that aren't targeted at "dieters" but I do like the malty taste
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I cannot think of any definition of clean that would include Special K...

I can! If I didn't pick it out of the dumpster, it's clean. :)
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    What do you want to accomplish by eating "clean"? I personally prefer a more balanced approach, where I try to eat more whole foods than I have in the past, but I eat some processed foods for convenience. If you are trying to avoid processed foods, I would say that Special K doesn't fit that bill. But I also don't see the harm in it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    PunkDollx wrote: »
    I'm trying to cut back on sugar intake and any fried or junk food I guess that's my definition of clean eating no junk food or juice or anything fried but I'm not sure if special k would be considered junk food

And again, there's no real hard and fast rule as to whether or not it's junk. Some would say yes and some no. For me, personally, if it fits in your calorie and nutrition goals and you like it, I don't see a problem with it. But I've never considered myself a clean eater, so I'm probably not the best judge :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    What is considered clean food is a pretty murky area. I don't special k would fit any of the standard definitions of clean food though. Having said that, if you enjoy special k, if you're hitting your calorie, macro and micro goals and it keeps you full then there's no reason not to eat it. Foods need to be viewed in the context of your overall diet not in isolation
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Look at the sugar content and see if it fits your goals. (I have no idea what it is, since I don't care for cold cereal.)

Another consideration might be the overall macros in your breakfast -- I do better with more protein at breakfast. But many enjoy cereal and it works for them, so if it fits in your overall diet it might work for you.

Junk food is another one where people basically define it for themselves.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If 'clean' to you means unprocessed, then I'd say it doesn't fit that definition. But 'clean' is such a nebulous concept, it's hard to say. Some people seem to think that 'clean' means whatever they subjectively deem is healthy ie, not "junk". Other seem to mean as close to it naturally occurs as possible (which Special K isn't).

Hence the issues with 'clean eating'.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Look it up in your clean eating rule book :smiley:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound clean to me. I still think you should eat it though.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You know in terms of calorie it's no lower than many brands on the market that aren't targeted at "dieters" but I do like the malty taste

Plenty of the "health food" granola cereals are far worse in calories per serving, serving size, and micronutrients than the super sugar pop cereals.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Plenty of the "health food" granola cereals are far worse in calories per serving, serving size, and micronutrients than the super sugar pop cereals.

Yeah. Granola is good but I can rarely find a way to make it fit properly into my day. That stuff is calorie dense.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't know about Special K, but my microwave popcorn is plenty clean for this thread . . .
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

If you are trying to cut back on sugar intake, eat something with more protein.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Personally cottage cheese and fruit is my go to, quick breakfast meal but I all kinds of processed foods as well, including cold cereal as a topping on greek yogurt. :)