Something in my smoothie is making me sick - what is it?!

2»

Replies

• nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    My smoothies taste good. Am I doing it wrong?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    I'd work on making my smoothies not borderline gross first off.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Thanks for the advice on the flax and chlorella. Obviously, yes, I'm trying these one at a time to see which one is being evil... but there are more than 10 goodies there and I had a bunch of smoothies prepared, so identifying a few to eliminate first was my goal with this post.

Why so many items? Why not just berries and greens? First, because if I'm going to consume something daily that is borderline gross, it might as well be loaded with as many high-powered items as possible, right?!

More importantly, I'm one to hedge my bets --- remember when eggs were demonized and doctors recommended a diet of only grapefruit and cottage cheese? Sure enough, something we call a super food today will be called poison tomorrow. We all know we can't win, we're always doing something wrong. Were your berries sprayed an extra time with pesticides on accident? Were they harvested super early and before they could develop all the good stuff? Were your greens grown in tainted soil - you do know they're extra good at sucking toxins out of the earth, right?! There's no way to know and keep your sanity, so to me, I'd rather use my good intentions on a variety of goodies from a variety of sources and hope for the best.

Why I use these particular varieties of snake oil:

- Matcha powder: contains 60 times the antioxidants of spinach; has high levels of L-Theanine, which helps with focus and concentration
    - Chlorella powder: a powerhouse of chlorophyll, vitamin A, iron, magnesium and all of the essential amino acids, with the ability to bind to (and remove) heavy metals and chemicals in the body
    - Goji berries: contains the gamut of vitamins, plus a bonus of micronutrients that are good for your eyes, like zeaxanthin and beta-carotene
    - Wheat germ: has lots of B-vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids and trace minerals
    - Camu camu powder: one teaspoon contains an absolutely ridiculous amount of vitamin C
    - Acai powder: one of the most concentrated sources of antioxidants around, the berries are super high in anthocyanin and phenolic phytochemcials - the same stuff that's in red wine and prompted that headline "a glass of wine is better for you than an hour of exercise =)
    - Sunflower, pumpkin, flax, sesame, chia or hemp seeds: all neat in their own right, seeds in general have loads of scarce vitamins and minerals and are little powerhouses of nutrition

There are reasons not to consume all of the items above because we are doomed to fail in someone's opinion no matter what we do. But hey, they've got to be better than pizza...
    are you taking the chlorella because you think that you have heavy metals you need to remove or? you could do some research and see what the side effects are of each ingredient,you can also see what side effects are of taking certain supplements at the same time(like matcha powder and chlorells) some will react with others if taken the same time.

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    furylabs wrote: »
    Matcha powder on a (relatively) empty stomach makes me nauseated. Caffeine/acids do it for me. How much of that are you using?

Someone recommended making your smoothie using only two ingredients next time to see what you tolerate well and what you do not tolerate. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Matcha or any green tea will make me nauseated if I consume on an empty stomach.

I agree with the plan of having one or two items in your smoothie at first and keep adding additional items (1-2 at a time) to find the item you can't tolerate.