i want a fitbit, or something similar.

Options
i just saw all the different types of fitbits.
recommendations?
or similar products?
i want to see what my daily activity level is like. and i like seeings how many steps i walk. i also like seeing how that translates to calories burnt based on my heart rate.

anything similar out there? pros cons?

Replies

• Txsoccer38
    Txsoccer38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the Fitbit Drains your phone Battery
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Txsoccer38 wrote: »
    I've noticed that the Fitbit Drains your phone Battery

Depends on the phone, I think. My Fitbit doesn't make much impact on my phone.

I like the Zip. It's the cheapest, and it's more of a 'clip' than a bracelet, which I like because I think it's more accurate. Obviously people have good results with the bracelet styles, so it's just in my head, but I do like it.

I think if I went back in time I'd get a One, though. My peeves with the Zip are the battery; changing it is a hassle cause the back is hard to remove, and it's sometimes finicky sliding it on and off my bras or shorts.
  • ga_sk8er
    ga_sk8er Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I got the samsung S health from newegg.com & wheni got mine it had a rebate on it that it ended up being only about $3. here is a screen shot of it's app. it shows the steps, the calories & miles that equals. it comes with both the watch band & the clip like the "zip" so you can choose how to wear it. ill also post you the link to the site in case you decide you want one. it gives steps, distance, calories, & sleep. you can also et how long or how far you want to run ( like 2 miles or 5 mins) & it will time you.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16886995085
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    recommendations?
    or similar products?
    i want to see what my daily activity level is like. and i like seeings how many steps i walk. i also like seeing how that translates to calories burnt based on my heart rate.

OK

1) If you want to see what your daily activity level is like and monitor steps you walk and get a calorie adjustment on MFP for that then yes

- get a fitbit
    - go for a basic one or zip that you can clip to your pocket, waistband or bra
    - synch to MFP and enable negative adjustments

2) if you want to see calories burnt based on heart rate - nope

Please appreciate that this is only true under specific conditions of steady-state cardio with an intensity of 40% to lactate threshhold - this is because of the formula that underpins it

- an HRM does not monitor calorie expenditure it monitors heart rate
    - the maths behind it converts HR to VO2 uptake under specific steady state conditions, so if you're running or rowing or on the elliptical and not doing interval training then it's a good enough estimate - anything else - nopity-nope

if you're running your one or zip will pick it up anyway because step-based
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    recommendations?
    or similar products?

OK

1) If you want to see what your daily activity level is like and monitor steps you walk and get a calorie adjustment on MFP for that then yes

- get a fitbit
    - go for a basic one or zip that you can clip to your pocket, waistband or bra
    - synch to MFP and enable negative adjustments

2) if you want to see calories burnt based on heart rate - nope

Please appreciate that this is only true under specific conditions of steady-state cardio with an intensity of 40% to lactate threshhold - this is because of the formula that underpins it

- an HRM does not monitor calorie expenditure it monitors heart rate
    - the maths behind it converts HR to VO2 uptake under specific steady state conditions, so if you're running or rowing or on the elliptical and not doing interval training then it's a good enough estimate - anything else - nopity-nope

if you're running your one or zip will pick it up anyway because step-based

so are you saying unless im actually exercising, the HRM is not a reliable calorie burn counter?
    because i never workout. sometimes i hike, but i have a POLAR HRM for that stuff.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit HR. I do not find that it kills my phone battery whatsoever....and I have had 2 completely different brand and styles of phones. I feel that the fitbit is fairly accurate. I also have the aria weight scale that measures body fat percentage. Now, true...it isn't perfectly "accurate", but if you are looking to see changes whether plus or minus over a period of time...and you always use the same utensil to measure...the changes will be accurate enough to go off of.

I also find that it seems like when I just look up an exercise....and put in how long....that the amount burned that pops up seems like way way off...super high. The fitbit watch seems to be more accurate. And even if the fitbit is "low" I'd rather be underestimating my calorie burn rather than overestimating.

I also have sleep apnea, and like to use my fitbit to monitor my sleeping patterns so I can see how different things might effect my overall sleep health. On this...the watch seems to be pretty darn accurate as well.

The fitbit and aria scale will both sync up here on MFP.

I've had my fitbit and aria scale since last summer...I love them and highly recommend them!!
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    from what everyones been saying, i dont think in need the HRM type of fitbit. i never exercise. honestly i domt plan on it
  • angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    dont*
  • kdtesoriero
    kdtesoriero Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have a misfit flash. It gives me a daily point goal to reach and tracks my sleep. My health insurance company offered it to me so I took it. So far so good.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I have an UP3. It does have wrist heart rate. Like rabbit said that's not very accurate unless you're doing steady state cardio, keep using your polar chest strap for those things. However, what I really like about the UP3 is the sleep tracking. It uses the heart rate to monitor your sleep and measures your RHR right before you wake up. Does all the step stuff too like the other trackers. And the app for it is pretty neat, it looks at trends in your sleep/eating and offers you suggestions on what it calls Smart Coach.
  • KetoYear
    KetoYear Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    recommendations?

Highly recommend the fitbit one.

You clip it to your body rather than wear it on your wrist so it's inconspicuous AND more accurate. Arms flailing about won't be logged as steps. Strumming a guitar or brushing your hair won't be logged as a jog.

It'll also track sleep, climbing and calories burned.

Big fan of the fitbit One. Have never regretted the purchase.

• angelamichelle_xo
    Options
    thanks guys, youre the best help.