Dessert

Options
EricaABarnes
EricaABarnes Posts: 20 Member
edited March 2016 in Recipes
Hey guys! I'm a sucker for desserts but I hate the calories in them!! Does anyone have any good dessert recipes they use that are lower in calories?? Recently I've been on a lemon kick so tonight I made a lemon poppyseed loaf it's only 150 calories a serving!

for the cake
2 c all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
2 tbsp poppy seeds
1 ½ tbsp lemon zest (about 3 small or 1 extra large)
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
1 egg, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2/3 c granulated sugar
½ c plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1-2 small)
6 tbsp nonfat milk

for the glaze
4 tbsp powdered sugar
¼ tsp almond extract
1 tsp nonfat milk
Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly coat a 9x5” pan with nonstick cooking spray.
To prepare the cake, whisk together the flour and next 5 ingredients (through salt) in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, and vanilla. Mix in the sugar, yogurt, and lemon juice until thoroughly incorporated. Alternate between adding in the flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with the flour. (For best results, add 1/3 of the flour, then ½ of the milk, etc.)
Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes. If the top browns too quickly, cover the pan with a tent of tin foil after the first 30 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To prepare the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle over the top of the cooled cake.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • CreoleRose
    CreoleRose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hanoge--How many servings does the recipe make?
  • EricaABarnes
    EricaABarnes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    CreoleRose wrote: »
    hanoge--How many servings does the recipe make?
    12! You can also cook it in a cupcake pan like muffins! Just make sure you spray the pan with some non stick first and don't use liners because it will stick to them

• CreoleRose
    CreoleRose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Hanoge. I think I'll try to make them in the muffin tins.
  • Stanley1903
    Stanley1903 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I usually just try to fit dessert into my macros. Honestly, I try to keep it simple. I love shortbread, so reserving the fat and carbs for shortbread fingers is something I do often. Other simple things are low fat ice cream, frozen yogurt from a local place, or a smoothie made with banana, chocolate peanut powder, triple zero vanilla yogurt, a little vanilla extract and maybe a dash of chocolate syrup. I also will treat an iced caramel latte as dessert sometimes.

But I LOVE cake. You can make it with a can of carbonated water instead of eggs and oil. You can also make brownies with a can of pumpkin purée. Just one can of pumpkin and one 13x9 family size box of Pilsbury brownie mix. (Idk how you feel about box mix, but it's a lot healthier than following the instructions.)