Low budget... Like really low

Options
2»

Replies

• Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    meal planning helped me. I'd take the flyers and plan out what to eat based on the sales. Rice and beans, lentils, and then things like roast a chicken for one dinner, use the carcass for soup the next day.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    That cookingonabootstrap.com is an amazing blog - read the "Hunger Hurts" section - you may cry.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ditto to Lindsay87- great tips-
    Need to find out which day of week store puts out their specials ( usually mid week) the meat50% off- buy it and freeze-or cook up right away- dry beans (you have to soak over nite or it'll make you sick) easy to cook though -bay leaf-salt /pepper and oregano or other herb- but they are cheap excellent source fiber and protien- stretch along way! Also, you probably qualify for WIC program if you state has it- it's for single women with children- you get $$ for milk cheese
    Peanut butter- check it out- it'll help you through this difficult $$ time- you can eat well and raise a healthy child- 10 yrs from now you'll be amazed at how strong you are/ were and what good example you are to you kid- living on a budget takes guts and determination. Try sweet potato instead of regular potato- can slice up one & mix with some protein and spices it will make huge pan breakfast hash and you got quite a healthy hash( lots vitamin A/C & fiber and a few grams protien in yam) Good luck ( Ho ya only feed yourself and baby- anyone coming around for free meal better bring at least a side dish !!!!)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Cut other areas back to make more room in the food budget. Use rags instead of paper towels and napkins. No disposable plates, cups or cutlery. Etc....
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Meal plan. Find a grocery with a marked down produce rack and use it today or tomorrow.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    Also not sure why c rock pot got started out??

Potty mouth...! ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite subjects. I was a poor single parent back in the day. I made sure always I had flour, eggs, and powdered milk on hand. There are dozens of foods I can make with just these three. (Biscuits, breads, pizza crust)(Scrambled, Souffle, Crustless Quiche, Omelet)(White Sauce for an Alfredo for instance).

Hot cereals like oatmeal can be made in batches and warmed up for breakfast.

Lunch can be leftovers from the night before, perhaps in a wrap.

Dried beans and lentils can be made up in to cheap filling meals. I am eating Hungarian bean soup right now, made from the stock from a chicken I'd made earlier, and white beans. There's onions and carrots in there, too.

Slow cooker meals like chili, stew and soups can feed you and your little one for a long time. Slow cookers are also kinder to tough cuts of meat; like pulled pork.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I had a bean salad for lunch -1 cup beans, 1/2 med. onion, 1/2 med. bell pepper, olive oil, vinegar, salt & pepper - cost of a 2 cup serving is about $1
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    You can do this! My grocery budget is $125 per week and there are 6 of us.

*Buy only in-season produce.
    *Frozen fruits and veggies are great and last for a long time, unlike fresh that can spoil.
    *Rice is good for bulking up meals.
    *Meal plan, sit down with the circular to see what is on sale any given week.
    *Look for marked down meats and stock your freezer - my store typically marks meat down early Tuesday mornings and it is generally 1/4 the cost because it is about to hit the sell-by date. Freeze what you don't need immediately.
    *canned tuna can be a cheap, quick, protein packed meal with some crackers, or if you are low carb, in lettuce wraps
    *buy in bulk when you can
    *save all your bones in a bag in a freezer, when you have enough, make stock and then freeze in ice cube trays
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how things are priced where you live, but I've enjoyed quite a few of EatingWell recipes and they have a budget cooking book
    http://www.eatingwell.com/sites/default/files/uploads/pdf/EatingWell_Budget_Dinners_Cookbook.pdf
  • danacondah
    danacondah Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Foods that are healthy, easy and relatively cheap (especially when you buy in bulk from a place like Costco):

-Eggs
    -Oatmeal
    -Brown Rice
    -Big bags of vegetables, frozen or fresh... I usually buy fresh and then freeze it after a few days that way they last --longer and you get your monies worth
    -I've found that buying fresh fruit (apples, bananas, oranges) is usually less expensive then pre-packaged frozen fruit, you can chop it and freeze it yourself and add to smoothies
    -Meat, but usually only worth it for me money wise if I buy in bulk, and again, freeze
    -lentils, beans
    -Make sure you meal plan, plan every meal for the week before going to the store, make a list so you don't over buy
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/big-on-a-budget-food-shopping-like-animal-with-frank-mcgrath.html

Might come up to even cheaper since your caloric requirements are way less than his
  • ZeldaBeastTM
    ZeldaBeastTM Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone in this post some great tips!
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Any possibilities for community resources? We have something called The Good Food Box which is a monthly produce box for a good price throknugh our community. There's also community kitchen where a group gets together and cooks a bunch of meals and splits costs. Or is there anyone you could buy in bulk and split with? I know it sucks when you don't have a lot to spend up front, even though it's cheaper in the long run to buy bulk.
  • mingle287
    mingle287 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dumpster dive! Trader joes, sprouts, and whole foods!

Big win!
  • luciahough
    luciahough Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/

The blog is filled with affordable, inexpensive and yummy recipes with prices listed for each and every ingredients.
    Do go and check it out!
    zira91 wrote: »
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/

The blog is filled with affordable, inexpensive and yummy recipes with prices listed for each and every ingredients.
    Do go and check it out!

Yes budget bytes is the jam!!! I make the sweet potato chorizo skillet. It's around $9 for the whole recipe but it feeds you 5 or 6 meals and keeps well for the week. All of her stuff is epic.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Cut other areas back to make more room in the food budget. Use rags instead of paper towels and napkins. No disposable plates, cups or cutlery. Etc....

Brilliant advice! I would add toilet paper to that list as well.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I feed a family of ten. Lots of good advice above, many are things I also do. One tip I have that I didn't see mentioned already is to "shop the pantry" every so often. About once every 4-5 weeks, I skip regular shopping and use up what I have in the freezer and pantry, only buying maybe milk and school lunch foods that week. Dinners can get a bit creative that week. ;)
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This website helps a lot: http://www.budgetbytes.com/