Best Practices

Options
Can I get some low calorie salad recipes. I tend to buy the bagged super greens from Costco and eat half the bag for lunch. I need some low calorie ideas to top the salads with including dressing. Thanks all.

Replies

• katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, sliced ham, balsamic vinegar. Boiled eggs. x
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Prawns, tuna are also good. Can you take dressing with you in a little cup? Weigh it out and log the calories. I personally like creamy dressings but there are low fat/cal versions of most.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I sprinkled my salad greens the other day with a handful of non-salted cashew nuts and made a dressing from 1tbls hoi sin sauce, a dribble of soy sauce and a dribble of sesame oil. It was delicious.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i have tuna, tinned salmon and sometimes a small tin of sweetcorn or beansprouts and sometimes some avocado calories permitting with a balsamic dressing . i try to mix it up a bit to keep salads more interesting.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have been blown away very recently by Mason jar salads. They *really* do stay fresh for several days as long as you layer your ingredients properly. I'm guessing it is because you really pack the salad greens tightly at the top, so that prevents air from getting in. And I love that they are already prepped and waiting for me in the fridge. There are lots of recipes online (Pinterest!) and you can tweak the ingredients to match your individual needs.

For dressings, I like to get the light Italian dressings or Bolthouse Farms ranch. For taco salads, I just use salsa as a dressing.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Most vegetables have very few calories- carrots, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, etc. I like some higher calorie items on my salads though- nuts, seeds, avocado, croutons, eggs, and raisins (I like the flavor and crunch and I can usually make the whole salad around 450ish calories including dressing).