Toppings for Salmon

Options
2»

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I've never cooked salmon before.

If you cook it on the grill, do you shut the lid? Do you ever flip the salmon? Or just leave it skin side down?
  • ericthirdrow
    ericthirdrow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Leave it skin side down! I'd shut the lid, but don't let it get too hot. It doesn't need to cook as hot as possible like a steak would.
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    I normally don't eat fish, but once a year, I eat salmon at my mom's. What everyone above said about foil and skin, and then she just smears some miso paste on it before she puts it in the oven. To die for.
  • Praying_Mantis
    Praying_Mantis Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    As others already said, avoid overcooking & it won't be dry. Honestly, salmon is so delicious, we only season with salt, pepper, and dill. Grill skin side down for, like, 8-10 minutes. DONE. ...and mmmmmmm.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I make salmon all the time and it never comes out dry.

Here's what I do:

No matter what "dressing" you use for it, always wrap it in foil when you put it in the oven or on the bbq. It locks the moisture in and cooks faster. Salmon only takes about 10-15mins to cook, especially when you make a little foil pouch for it to cook in.

Try it, it works. I promise :)

I do this for every meat I cook. Great tip :)
    I tried this and OMG soo freaking juicy!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese!

I know you said you don't like mustard, but in case anyone else is interested: stuff the salmon with goat cheese, cover in a glaze of dijon mustard, mayo, and honey, in a ratio to your taste, and bake. Amazing. (Mayo + honey makes a nice glaze on its own, too)

less the honey this is my fave meal, I also sub out the mayo for greek yogurt. I always make extra of the sauce and roast my veggies in it and put it on quinoa. sooooo frickin' good!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Now I want some salmon!!
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ditto to all who have said it's not the toppings that make it dry, it's that you're overcooking it.
    With fish, you always want to remove it just before you think it's actually done. It will continue to cook. I make sure I take it out when it flakes easily but the interior flesh is still shiny and juicy looking, not dry.
    I generally do it skin side down in my cast iron skillet on med-high at first, then down to med with a lid on for the last half so I don't have to heat up the whole house with the oven.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Do I have a recipe for you...:) You can do this with basically any fleshy fish, like salmonized trout as an example. It's to DIE for, it'll melt in your mouth. And it's ridiculously easy and quick too! The dill sauce is totally optional though delish as well and amazing on roasted sweet potatoes (or any potato)!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/salmon-with-creamy-dill-sauce

Enjoy!

PS...don't overcook it! The timing directions in the recipe are pretty much dead on.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    High fat option: 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp soy sauce, 2 tsp butter. Drool. You can make this in advance and freeze it, and just use the amount you want per serving (the amount above is I think appropriate for 4 servings).

Low fat option: rub surface with dry spices (I like cumin, coriander, salt, chili powder), cook to taste, top with pineapple salsa (pineapple, onion, cilantro leaves). This is really, really good.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I make salmon all the time and it never comes out dry.

Here's what I do:

No matter what "dressing" you use for it, always wrap it in foil when you put it in the oven or on the bbq. It locks the moisture in and cooks faster. Salmon only takes about 10-15mins to cook, especially when you make a little foil pouch for it to cook in.

Try it, it works. I promise :)
    I grill it in foil as well. My favorite marinade is Orange juice, olive oil and fresh garlic.

I do this for every meat I cook. Great tip :)
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    As for dryness, I almost always poach my salmon. Skin-side down in a skillet, pour maybe half a cup of liquid in the pan, cover, simmer gently until done to taste, maybe 10 minutes depending on how thick the fillet is. Poaching like that is pretty forgiving, it's harder to overcook it and if you go gently it really always comes out quite moist and tender.

But also a lot of people are afraid of undercooking fish. At least as far as salmon (and tuna) are concerned, I say BALDERDASH! You can eat salmon "rare" i.e. not quite "done" in the middle, if it's high-quality fish.