Meat & Potatoes Girl

Options
2»

Replies

• cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Roasting veg tends to bring out the sweetness in the veg, and for many people, that is the attraction for this cooking method. I lovelovelove roasted cauliflower, butternut or acorn squash, brussel sprouts - they taste completely different from the way my mom used to make them, which was to boil the snot out of them (or into them).
  • april1779
    april1779 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been looking up recipes for roasted butternut squash, it looks yummy and a good way to cut down on calories as opposed to having potatoes. I'm not sure I could get as wild as trying cauliflower just yet though, lol.
  • april1779
    Options
    PS - I'm thinking cubed, roasted butternut squash with some cinnamon. Anyone know if this would still be good for lunch the next day? I don't know if anyone else would eat it at home.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I like meat and potatoes too! I usually make a roast in a crock pot with potatoes and carrots. I also like to bake in the oven chicken (boneless skinless), chicken stock, yellow squash & zucchini. Roasting veggies is good too! I've gotten into eating a raw bell pepper and raw baby carrots for lunch each day. Fills me up and lets me eat other stuff since it's low in calories. I'm always looking for ways to add more veggies:)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I got myself an Idaho boy who lived on meat and potatoes and fast food. We've come really far!

Do you like to grill? Throw some asparagus on along with your meat. Broccolini is better than regular broccoli to both of us. Saute in a pan, add some garlic, sesame oil and seeds. Another surprising one that he likes is brussles sprouts- I cut off the bottoms, slice in half, and roast with salt pepper garlic.

Another thing you could try is spaghetti squash or zuchinni noodles. I don't usually eat them alone, but I'll take just a half portion of pasta, and mix the zuchinni noodles in. This bulks up the portion (sometimes I'm a volume eater), saves calories for other things, and gets another veggie in.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you tried roasting vegetables with a little olive, salt and pepper? Yummy

This!

Just dont drown them in oil, but a little fat sprayed on them is good.

You can get powdered roast garlic, stick a bit of that one them. Hoenstly, it will totally revolutionize your veggie habits!

Also, try making a slow simmered minestrone or provencal soup. Stick a dollop of good tomato pesto in there and some butter beans.

• april1779
    Options
    You guys are wonderful. Seriously, love this place :) I'm actually looking FORWARD to trying new things. I'm going to buy some pre-cubed butternut squash today and try that first. And soup! I want to try making soup. And roasting veggies! I feel like since starting this only a week ago, I feel enthusiastic instead of feeling like I'm restricting myself. Thanks everyone!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, mashed cauliflower is delicious (I put some cream cheese or laughing cow in it). And I love mashed carrots or spinach mashed potatoes too (need to do that again!).