Hoarding Calories

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Your BMR is what your body needs if you were laying in a hospital bed in a coma. It is what your body needs to function. If a person consistently eats below their BMR, then their body will reduce their metabolism and therefore reduce their BMR. So a person putting back on a lot of weight could be because they went back to their old eating habits, or it could be that they ate below their BMR for so long that their BMR actually decreased. So even if they continue to eat right and at a maintenance level, they gain the weight back because they have hosed their metabolism.

How much would someone with plenty of fat stores and who is still exercising regularly expect BMR to be reduced by simply eating less? What functions does the body slow or stop in order to use less energy? Is this like the Starship Enterprise going into life support mode. Oh, but wait, BMR is already life support only mode.

Why do some lose more with less calories and others claim to lose little or nothing on a deficit? How do anorexics get so skinny?

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919536-get-your-metabolic-rate-tested-my-metabolic-reset-story

Proof that you can actually lower your RMR by not eating enough.

Never said you couldn't. I simply asked questions that no one is answering.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I think someone needs to go eat, by the looks of your diary. :wink:
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    I don't believe my car needs gas to drive. Therefore I'm going to stop buying gasoline. Makes just as much sense as your statement...

Good luck with that.

But your car will drive without a full tank of gas, yes?
    Yes but for how long?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    I don't believe my car needs gas to drive. Therefore I'm going to stop buying gasoline. Makes just as much sense as your statement...

Good luck with that.

Yes but for how long?

Exactly
  • bcattoes

Good luck with that.

Yes but for how long?

IDK What kind of car do you drive and what type of driving are you doing?

ETA: Actually the car analogy isn't a bad one, since it seems some people can function quite well on less calories than others, just like some cars are more fuel efficient.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Reading the title made me think this was going to be a thread about people who save all their calories throughout the day for one big splurge. Oh, how wrong I was.

Me too

I do this everyday. It's called intermittent fasting, and it's glorious!! :happy: :happy:
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    I don't know if there is real validity to "starvation mode" but why would you starve yourself either way? Whether it does long term damage to you metabolism or not it will do damage to your health now if you aren't getting proper nutrition. There is a reason that people who starve their bodies get very sick. I'm not saying they will not lose weight or will get fat again right away but they are doing damage to their bodies any way you slice it. Besides, eating is awesome...
  • LexiAtel
    LexiAtel Posts: 228 Member
    We are all different shapes and sizes. We lose and gain weight differently. Each person, should they have been paying attention and treating it properly, should know what their body is capable of. We can't rely on other people to provide ALL the answers because we have this system that says we should all be "average". For example. I am 4 foot 9 inches, I am told that I should between 100-115lbs, but they are not considering that I have a big butt, wide hips, and big breasted. That I have "dwarf" like features, and that I am oddly shaped in some areas... I am not average... but they are telling me to be. We need to get this idea of "cookie cutter people" out of our society and heads.

I would not consider "starvation mode" on that of someone that is 400lbs and eating around 1000-1500 calories a day, there's plenty of "storage" there for the body to get.Someone of 100lbs, is a little different, though. Yes, eating 300-500 calories a day, there's nothing there to consume, and the body is going to not want to let go of what is there already.
  • bcattoes
    I don't know if there is real validity to "starvation mode" but why would you starve yourself either way? Whether it does long term damage to you metabolism or not it will do damage to your health now if you aren't getting proper nutrition. There is a reason that people who starve their bodies get very sick. I'm not saying they will not lose weight or will get fat again right away but they are doing damage to their bodies any way you slice it. Besides, eating is awesome...

I think everyone would agree that true starvation is bad, but eating a little under BMR is not starvation. Especially not for someone wtih a lot of fat stores.
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Reading the title made me think this was going to be a thread about people who save all their calories throughout the day for one big splurge. Oh, how wrong I was.
    Ditto.
  • arains89

I think everyone would agree that true starvation is bad, but eating a little under BMR is not starvation. Especially not for someone wtih a lot of fat stores.

Eating 500 calories in a day is not slightly under anyone's BMR. That is starving yourself.
  • bcattoes

Eating 500 calories in a day is not slightly under anyone's BMR. That is starving yourself.

The OP said eating 1000.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 284 Member

Hahaha me too!
  • arains89

The OP said eating 1000.

And burning 500. So netting 500. BMR is what your body needs beyond exercise. If she netted 500 cals and her BMR was say around 1400 (pretty average) I'd say that is more than slightly under...
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member

I thought more like the pantry and fridge are so full and piled up you can't find what your after.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Where's the popcorn?
  • bcattoes
    Your BMR is what your body needs if you were laying in a hospital bed in a coma. It is what your body needs to function. If a person consistently eats below their BMR, then their body will reduce their metabolism and therefore reduce their BMR. So a person putting back on a lot of weight could be because they went back to their old eating habits, or it could be that they ate below their BMR for so long that their BMR actually decreased. So even if they continue to eat right and at a maintenance level, they gain the weight back because they have hosed their metabolism.

How much would someone with plenty of fat stores and who is still exercising regularly expect BMR to be reduced by simply eating less? What functions does the body slow or stop in order to use less energy? Is this like the Starship Enterprise going into life support mode. Oh, but wait, BMR is already life support only mode.

Why do some lose more with less calories and others claim to lose little or nothing on a deficit? How do anorexics get so skinny?

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919536-get-your-metabolic-rate-tested-my-metabolic-reset-story

Proof that you can actually lower your RMR by not eating enough.

Never said you couldn't. I simply asked questions that no one is answering.

Alright in answer to your questions:
    How much would someone with plenty of fat stores and who is still exercising regularly expect BMR to be reduced by simply eating less? What functions does the body slow or stop in order to use less energy?
    Because using fat stores is not the easiest way for a person to gain energy. When you eat, the body will use that energy first before going into fat stores. First it uses what you ate, then it will use glycogen stores, then fat stores and finally muscle. Also your body has a capacity to remember from day to day what type of fuel you are supplying it. So if you are not giving it the proper fuel, it will lower the BMR even if a person does have fat stores. Case in point, I had my sigmoid colon removed. I didn't eat for 6 days. Guess how much weight I lost? Zip, nada, zilch. I actually gained a couple pounds. And believe me, I had plenty of fat stores for my body to work with. It really doesn't take long for your body to realize that you are not fueling it properly. It's only goal in life is to survive and it will do everything it can to survive. No, I'm not claiming that your body is smart, just that the interactions between brain and organs is designed for only one purpose, to survive.
    Is this like the Starship Enterprise going into life support mode. Oh, but wait, BMR is already life support only mode.

So I take this as saying that BMR is already life support mode and therefore cannot be changed, but then you turn around and say 'Never said you couldn't." in response to my post about BMR being affected with VLCDs. Sorry, makes no sense to me whatsoever.
    Why do some lose more with less calories and others claim to lose little or nothing on a deficit?
    Probably because those that are losing with less calories have a lower RMR than they think they do. And those that lose with higher caloric intake have a higher RMR. The only way to know for sure is to have RMR tested. Everyone should have their RMR tested.
    How do anorexics get so skinny?
    Probably because they've been doing it for so long that their body is using everything it can find for fuel. Your body can't reduce BMR to 0 or you'd be dead, so that's why. There is always going to be a small amount needed for your body to survive, but I guarantee that any anorexic has a very low BMR. Probably as low as the body can go without dying... oh wait, anorexics can actually die from being anorexic, yes?

Lots of "probably there. And too much nonsense. If you want to believe you can have a calorie deficit and not lose, so be it.
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member

HAHA! Exactly what I was thinking.
  • bcattoes

The OP said eating 1000.

And burning 500. So netting 500. BMR is what your body needs beyond exercise. If she netted 500 cals and her BMR was say around 1400 (pretty average) I'd say that is more than slightly under...

But the 500 burned through exercise could come from fat stores when not provided though food. That's what fat stores are for.

It's possible to get proper nutrition on 1000 calories, so it's not starvation.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    :angry: Awww, now the diary is no longer open. I'm always late to these parties.....