Would you buy this?

Options

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If it worked yeah, it'd be very convenient.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm comfortable with my ability to weigh and measure foods at home and estimate when I'm out of the house.

Also, it's one more thing for me to have to charge or keep in batteries and then manage not to lose.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Love the concept and would definitely buy if I was convinced it worked as advertised. Right now I am not though.

http://www.cnet.com/news/kickstarter-science-beware-the-marketing-hype/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Cool for what it is, but I simply don't put too much into gadgets. I'm satisfied on how I do things now.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Looks like something from Star Trek......interesting idea, if it worked, for times when you might not have access to reliable nutritional information (eg eating out at a restaurant)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Probably but then I'm a sucker for new tech...
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Depends if it works or not. I'm skeptical, but all you would have to do is measure a few different meals yourself, then scan them with this device to see if it comes up with the same numbers. If it does, I'd be satisfied, and yes I would use it. It would be convenient to take with me whenever I'm eating out at a restaurant or at a friend's/family's place.
  • allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    EQComics wrote: »
    Depends if it works or not. I'm skeptical, but all you would have to do is measure a few different meals yourself, then scan them with this device to see if it comes up with the same numbers. If it does, I'd be satisfied, and yes I would use it. It would be convenient to take with me whenever I'm eating out at a restaurant or at a friend's/family's place.

EXACTLY!! its pricey but if it works, its worth it
  • allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Looks like something from Star Trek......interesting idea, if it worked, for times when you might not have access to reliable nutritional information (eg eating out at a restaurant)

Wortha shot trying it out
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I working in an analytical laboratory, but my training is in chemical and physical analysis.

This device is basically a very small IR spectrometer - it measures the changes in light that bounce off a surface compared to the light that was fired at that surface in the first place.

And the fact that it can only work at the surface level is the big problem.

Fire it at a big cream gateaux and it will be able to detect cream, possibly (depending upon how big the database is) that it is whipped cream. It may even be able to tell how old that cream is (possibly useful I'd say) but it is not going to be able to tell you anything about the sponge cake below, of the filling.

Sure you could fire it at each element of the cake, but you've still got to do the maths on the proportions.

In theory, interesting but in practice I think it is going to be very difficult to use and probably quite misleading.
    One of the tech companies I worked for were developing a hand held IR spectrometer to be used to detect product adulteration in the pharmaceutical and food industry. When correctly calibrated they were very accurate for the products that they were calibrated for but they cost £thousands and were pretty bulky.