What's your favorite recipe using a dutch oven?

Options
Khovde07
Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
I just bought my first dutch oven last night! I've been wanting one forever and they finally went on sale. I've looked up some recipes and found some great bread recipes, roasts, and whole chicken, but not much else. What are some of your favorite recipes using a dutch oven?

Replies

• Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    one pot lasagna, it starts with bacon and ends with fresh Mozz cheese melting in the oven http://pinchofyum.com/10-easy-recipes-you-can-make-in-a-dutch-oven
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated beef chili from the cookbook. I make a half recipe, which feeds my husband and I several dinners. Another favorite is the Barefoot Contessa's chicken stew with biscuits. It vaguely resembles a chicken pot pie but with biscuits on top instead of a pastry crust. The recipe says to cook the stew in a dutch oven on the stove then transfer to a baking dish to bake in the oven, but leaving it in the dutch oven to cook in the oven (what a mouthful :) ) is perfect.

I have also made other stews and a casserole.
  • lesleyc69
    lesleyc69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There must be more than one definition of a Dutch oven lol
  • Khovde07
    Options
    lesleyc69 wrote: »
    There must be more than one definition of a Dutch oven lol

Oh my husband and his bad jokes have made me more than aware of that! Haha
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i like to make curry dishes in mine. Sautee curry paste in some oil, add coconut milk and stir, add fresh veggies and cooked chicken (or shrimp or whatever), simmer until veggies are cooked. I could eat this every night forever.

We tried making things like thick spaghetti and chili in it, and its not so good for my stove because it burns at anything but the lowest temperature possible which is lower than my stove goes. The soupier dishes work good. We have the lecrusette and its one of my favorite cooking utensils.
  • Khovde07
    Options
    Oh my God, you guys! I made a loaf of bread in my dutch oven last night and it was that most delicious thing I've ever tasted! Even better than my bread maker. You know when you buy a really great quality loaf of artisan bread and the crust is so nice and crispy/crunchy and the inside is super soft? That's what this is.

And the best part? It was literally 4 ingredients (flour, yeast, salt, water) and I made the loaf for way less than a dollar. My husband went nuts for the bread too. I think next I'm going to make some variations of a simple loaf. Maybe some focaccia bread, or herbed, or seaweed, I can't decide.