Killer Workout & Now I'm Hurting

Options
For a while back in October/November/December I was doing walking workouts with light weights...after the holidays I got lazy again. I've never been a member of a gym and finally joined one. I got a free "personal trainer" session when I joined the gym and she convinced me to try this class series called Tribe Life. She said it was low impact fitness exercises. I am 220 pounds and 5'2". I've already lost 10 pounds since October so I've been going at it pretty slow.

I went to this class yesterday and it was a circuit type class with 4 minute intervals with a 30 second break inbetween what I ended up doing was 180 pushups, 220M of Knee Lunges, 180 overhead arm presses with 5 pound weights, 180 squats, 150M of Viper ski lunges, 60 vipre squat rotate the viper things and then cool downs. In 60 minutes.

My legs were so done that I thought they were going to collapse (my quads mostly) and today I'm hurtin' for certain. Now for my question...

What in the world do I do when I can barely move? I was thinking about swimming today and maybe some time in the hot tub first at the gym. I want to do something no impact and something that won't aggravate my already sore muscles. I am SUPPOSED to go again to this class on Thursday but I think she's pushing me too far too fast. Thoughts? Oh, and I'm 38 and haven't worked out in YEARS.

Thanks guys for the advice....

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I always start very light on weight to where I am almost just going through the motions. I add weight gradually on each visit. I do this for two reasons 1) so I don't get real sore and 2) so I don't get hurt. I did some damage to my rotator cuff when I over did it and couldn't throw a piece of gum away with my right hand for a year. I started running because I couldn't lift. I now can do Nautilus machines but increase very slow. You may want to some machines to tone up prior to starting a routine that you can't regulate like push ups.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's just DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). I quite enjoy it because it's a sign that I worked hard.

It can be a bit of a rude awakening when you haven't done anything for a while.

Best thing you can do it keep moving as much as you can. It's when you sit down and try to get back up that the trouble starts. :D

https://www.acsm.org/docs/brochures/delayed-onset-muscle-soreness-(doms).pdf
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    just stretch and ease back into it. if you have to go lighter, go lighter. but it is safe to work out again. in fact, a light workout will probably help ease the soreness once you get into it.

typically soreness only occurs when you do something far beyond what you are used to doing regularly. if you slowly build up to the amount of activity that that class provides, you won't get sore from it any more.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you did too much, next class slow it way down and pace yourself , after a few weeks you'll be fine. keep moving today and tomorrow to keep the blood flowing to your muscles to help them heal. massage, walking, moving, hot tub, swimming is all good.
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Clearly this "personal trainer" didn't know what she was doing. This is more than just DOMS as it was not delayed. When I left the class my quads were spasming and I could barely walk. I have a desk job and sit for 8 hours a day, she knew that from our interview and recommended this class as a great way to get back into working out. Honestly the rest of my body is fine, sore but fine, I can function in all of my sore muscle groups except my quads. Those I think are actually inflamed. Any suggestions on relief when I can barely walk up and down the stairs at my house? Would hot tub therapy work? Swimming?

I totally am not going to push as hard as I did yesterday again unless these quads can settle down by later today.
  • jenathp
    Options
    Thank you @SonyaCele I'll do a hot tub and swimming routine in a few hours.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Your quads are likely going to hurt for several days after all of that. It was definitely too much for a beginner. SonyaCele's advice was good. I'd also try a bit of easy walking throughout the day. Nothing crazy, just moving around every couple hours for a few minutes.
  • jenathp
    Options
    It's funny I used to think my legs were my strongest muscles but clearly not because everything else is "normal" workout sore...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jenathp wrote: »
    It's funny I used to think my legs were my strongest muscles but clearly not because everything else is "normal" workout sore...

When you haven't worked a muscle or done a movement lately it is normal to have soreness. I had the flu last week. I normally squat (regular and front squats) 3x/wk and didn't do any of that Monday through Saturday. On Sunday I did light goblet squats and I really felt it Monday and Tuesday.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You are correct about the "trainer". Can't speak to her overall qualifications, but in your case she made a reckless and irresponsible decision to send you to that class. Actually, sending you to ANY class at this point was a bad choice, since you lack the basic strength and fitness to keep up with a structured workout routine in which you have less control over intensity and volume.

Hopefully, you weren't injured and you can work out the soreness over the next several days (although I suspect this might take 7-10 days to resolve completely). As long as the soreness doesn't compromise your movements and you can tolerate the discomfort, you can continue to do some easy workouts (the kind you should have been given in the first place).

• jenathp
    Options
    @Azdak I hope I am not really "injured" either. I think my quads are "swollen" from being beat up so badly. I'm going to see how today goes at the pool and hot tub and then make a decision for tomorrow's class. If it's a lot of squats or quad work then I'm not going to be able to do that. I think you're right that it's going to be at least a few days before I am not sore anymore. But maybe the swimming will work the soreness out a little bit.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Walk & stretch... Just keep moving through the soreness! However, if the pain is sharp or numbness/tingling in toes seek medical attention.

Swimming is a great idea!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    One day I did a Tai Bo workout that was all lower legs. I physically could not walk up and down the stairs for two days. My body would have none of it. Now, I know to work up to something so intense. It still happens, just not as bad.
    When I get like that, it actually goes away quicker if I work out again the next day. It sucks when you first start your workout, but within a few minutes the horrible pain goes away. So, do something light and stretch and drink lots of water and in a few days you will be good as new.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    jenathp wrote: »
    Clearly this "personal trainer" didn't know what she was doing. This is more than just DOMS as it was not delayed. When I left the class my quads were spasming and I could barely walk. I have a desk job and sit for 8 hours a day, she knew that from our interview and recommended this class as a great way to get back into working out. Honestly the rest of my body is fine, sore but fine, I can function in all of my sore muscle groups except my quads. Those I think are actually inflamed. Any suggestions on relief when I can barely walk up and down the stairs at my house? Would hot tub therapy work? Swimming?

I totally am not going to push as hard as I did yesterday again unless these quads can settle down by later today.

IME, the length of the "delay" depends on the body part. If I do a killer session with my trainer my legs will feel it right away, whereas it will take sometimes up to 36 hours for my arms to hurt.

Yes, keep moving. Swim, try the hot tub. Personally, ice works for me.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding flip: my advice? Be patient. Wait for the discomfort to go away. And then go do it again! (Well, maybe not exactly the same class.)
  • jenathp
    Options
    @tufel my concern is if I wait I'll lose motivation to even BE at the gym.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Swim first hot tub second.
  • jenathp
    Options
    I thought the other way around to losen the muscles first but no? OK I'll swim first and then I'll hot tub second. Thanks everyone! :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've also had luck using a foam roller to relieve workout pain, especially in my legs. I'm not going to lie, it hurts like hell rolling out sore quads, hammies, and IT bands, but after doing 10 passes on a roller I feel SO much better and I can move around again.

I've been in your shoes, and I've handled it both ways: taking time off and getting back in with a light workout. You just have to listen to your body. No harm in waiting a few days for some relief, but a nice swim or a walk on the treadmill can get the juices flowing and get that acid flushed out, too.

Just take it easy and ease back in. You'll be good!
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    TBH, the way you are describing it, it doesn't sound like you had any fun with this workout or that it's something you're looking forward to trying again right now. You also mentioned fear of burnout. I think you need to listen to your gut here! You are trying to get back into fitness and establish a routine and develop some basic fitness, right? Are there any other classes you can maybe ease in with? Something a bit lighter, something more enjoyable? Once you establish a routine and get a baseline level of fitness, then hopefully you will be more interested (and able!) in really, really pushing yourself in a class like that one. I started with 30 minute Jillian Michaels workouts at home - challenging (but do-able) and fun. That was over 4 years ago. Once I established a habit and a baseline level of fitness, I introduced a lot more variety and challenge. Maybe give something like kickboxing or dance a try? That's just my $.02! Good luck x