Fasted cardio. Yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    With 50-60lbs to lose you need to focus on getting the basics right not worrying about whether you'll burn more fat with fasted cardio vs non-fasted cardio. You don't gain 50-60lbs because you weren't fasting before you went for a run - you gain that type of weight because you eat too much for your activity level.

A calorie deficit is the basics. How you achieve that is what varies. Exercise is awesome and gives you so many great health benefits but most studies show that exercising for weight loss isn't the best idea (your body adapts and/or you eat more to compensate because you get hungrier or you reward yourself).

For fat loss you'll get the best results by focus on what and how much you eat.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ironhajee wrote: »
    A very interesting topic indeed they say breakkyy is the most important meal of the day.

they are wrong...

+1. Breakfast is not necessary. Or we can get technical and say that "breakfast" is whenever you break your fast, be it 6am, noon, dinner, 24 hours later, etc.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    A very interesting topic indeed they say breakkyy is the most important meal of the day.

they are wrong...

What is your scientific proof that breakfast is not the most important meal of the day?
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

"they" say a lot of things. Some of it has merit, some of it is pure crapola.

And what is your stance on topic? Is what "they" say "crapola" ??

• SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options

they are wrong...

What is your scientific proof that breakfast is not the most important meal of the day?

What is your scientific proof that it IS? I don't think there is any conclusive proof either way. Personally, I go through patches of eating breakfast and patches of not eating until lunch time. Weight loss hasn't been affected either way... Neither has my mood or anything that may make it an important meal. What I often find though is that if I eat breakfast I'm ravenous again well before lunch time (even if it has been high in protein), whereas if I don't eat breakfast I don't seem to get that hungry that soon. No idea why as it doesn't make much sense, but there you go...
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options

they are wrong...

Whoa whoa whoa play fair... the one making the claim is the one with the burden of proof... No one is required to prove a negative...
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

As far as breakfast being the most important meal of the day? Important for what? Weight loss? No, at least not any more so than any other meal. Preventing early morning hunger? Yep.
  • skylardevenney
    skylardevenney Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone!! I'll see what works best! I've been getting up before my 3 young kids to exercise so I'm not hungry yet but I've seen where some say you need to fuel your body to get most out of it! I do feel a little light headed but it's almost like a high! I make a smoothie after my work out tho :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

they are wrong...

i am not the one making the claim that it is ...

so what is your proof that it is...google?
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I workout fasted every day. It's 9:45a and I've had 45cals in a cup of coffee and done 1 2mi run and 1 3mi run. I'll get 60 minutes of yoga in before I eat around 1p although I'll add another 15-30cals between now and then. A girl has to have her hot tea.

This is a personal preference. I prefer working out fasted, but it doesn't burn any more fat. Eat less, move more, that's how you lose weight.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I actually hvae mixed feelings. On one hand, I don't like to run too close to eating because it makes my stomach feel upset. I also prefer waking up and getting my run done with early in the morning (in theory). However, doing so on an empty stomach leaves me with less energy; my runs always suffer. In fact, my best runs have been a couple of hours after lunch.

So, I suspect this is one of those things where your mileage may vary. Try it for a week or two. If it doesn't work for you, try something else. The best plan is one you can stick to, regardless of if it's "better."
  • justjumpit278
    justjumpit278 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before I workout otherwise I get really light headed and dizzy. I don't eat a lot, just enough to fuel me through the workout. I go to the gym early in the morning before work but I'll eat something before I leave the house. Usually an egg over whole grain toast, peanut butter on whole grain toast, greek yogurt, multigrain Cheerios, etc.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I want to say that you'd have to live under a rock if you still believe this, but you are on the interwebs, so... maybe you just like to believe old wives tales.
  • blpasquarella
    blpasquarella Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering a lot about this as well. From what I've gathered via Google searches and bodybuilding.com, it does seem that fasted cardio has some benefits if one is already pretty muscular and trying to lean out a bit.
    However, with more than 5% or so of body fat to lose, it seems any sort of calorie deficit will work similarly.
    I say it's your preference at this point. Personally, I prefer to work out 2-3 hours after my first meal of the day. (I'm lucky to have a schedule that allows this!) Seems to fuel my cardio more when I've consumed something!
    Keep us updated if you give it a try!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is personal preference.
    I go to the gym very early and do cardio for 65 minutes. For the past week, now that the snow is mostly gone, I also go for a walk when I get to work for about 40 minutes.
    I eat breakfast after. Just water while I am at the gym.
    Some people have a banana or other piece of fruit, and a protein bar.
    Whatever works for you.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When I was doing low carb, I couldn't do fasted cardio, I had to eat something beforehand and after as well. With more carbs in my diet now, it doesn't bother me. I would just go by how you are feeling, if you are already getting lightheaded it may not be a sustainable approach for you if it turns into nausea, etc.
  • skylardevenney
    skylardevenney Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering a lot about this as well. From what I've gathered via Google searches and bodybuilding.com, it does seem that fasted cardio has some benefits if one is already pretty muscular and trying to lean out a bit.
    However, with more than 5% or so of body fat to lose, it seems any sort of calorie deficit will work similarly.
    I say it's your preference at this point. Personally, I prefer to work out 2-3 hours after my first meal of the day. (I'm lucky to have a schedule that allows this!) Seems to fuel my cardio more when I've consumed something!
    Keep us updated if you give it a try!

Today was my 2nd day doing fasted cardio. It's going just fine so far & I don't feel like my workouts have suffered. I wake up before my toddlers & workout & then drink a smoothie while I make their breakfast & depending on what trey have I might have a little too! So far so good & thanks again for all the wonderful input people! I'm just starting out & have baby weight plus weight I put on while breastfeeding. If anyone wants to friend me feel free:)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Its just about preference, there's no fat burning advantage to fasted cardio (or cardio exercise at all...). I can't exercise with food in my stomach because without fail I ALWAYS vomit after.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    A study here in the UK showed that whilst men burn more fat by exercising empty, women actually burned more from having eaten before exercise. The difference is due to hormonal differences.

here is an article about a study done using a group of females that shows no difference in doing fasted vs. unfasted cardio.

http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/debunking-the-myth-of-fasted-cardio

there. is. no. difference.

The one I saw (BBC's Trust Me I'm A Doctor) compared men and women, fasted and unfasted and concluded that the women who had exercised after eating burned more than the women that had fasted, whereas the fasted men burned more than the unfasted ones. It may not agree with your study but it was concluded medically for this group.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

As far as breakfast being the most important meal of the day? Important for what? Weight loss? No, at least not any more so than any other meal. Preventing early morning hunger? Yep.

I used to skip it too, claiming brakfast made me hungrier. That hunger really depended on how much and what kind of breakfast I ate.

So if I don't eat breakfast, I'm dizzy by 11:30 and I like to be balanced on my feet.

The odd thing is that going without breakfast made me hungrier after 9:30 in the evening! Surprised me that when I started eating breakfast i was able to quit eating late night snacks. :smile:

Apologies to the OP for adding something to the off topic discussion on your thread.