Quitting smoking and want to eat everything I see!

Options
Needing some motivation. Today is day 1. Having a hard time. Blah I'll take all the motivation today please :)

Replies

• moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Try toothpicks...ok trying to grasp anything. You have made the right choice, stick with it!!!!!!
  • jenni_rojas86
    jenni_rojas86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try gum And if you like coffee you can take some during the day. You can do it...!
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 14 years almost 2 packs a day. Quitting is hard. I carried a large bag of hard candies and mints, and gum with me everywhere I went for days. I also weaned myself down to 1 cigarette a day, then wore the patch. Just a piece of advice if you wear the patch take it off before you go to sleep, otherwise you will have the most messed up dreams you have ever experienced in your life.
    On the plus side once you make it to 72 hours cigarette free each day gets easier and easier.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I can only wish you the best of luck and my most sincere hopes. I quit cold turkey four years ago, and even though I don't know you, I'm proud that you're giving it a go.

No creeper or dumb MFP drama. If I can answer any questions, or you just need someone to vent to please drop me a line.

You can do this!
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Giirrrrrrrrrrlllll - I have BEEN there! 20 years, pack a day-er.

Here is my honest opinion - for three days while the nicotine makes it's exit - just eat. Eat whatever keeps the cigs out of your mouth. But ONLY THREE DAYS.

The urge won't stop after that, but that's all the pity eating you're allowed.

Move to carrot sticks after that. Crunchy, satisfying, low calories. That you can have unlimited for two weeks. Supplement with gum. Cinnamon seems to be particularly helpful.

After that, get yourself back on your plan and deal.

I quit using e-cigarettes almost 3 years ago. I used those for 2.5 years before I realized I was no longer using them for the habit of smoking, I was only using them for the nicotine. After that, I made the decision to officially kick the monkey off my back and went cold turkey off the nicotine.

The sugar cravings are fierce. I have confirmed with other addicts (alcoholics and narcotic addicts) that this is a common problem when quitting any addiction. I was eating cookies by the truckload. I couldn't stop. It took quite a while for me to get a grip, but I also suffer from binge eating disorder, so I was triggering another problem at the same time. I let it get out of control. The above limits I mentioned are what I SHOULD have done.

However, after all that, I can say that I am finally free - both from the nicotine AND the sugar. It took some determination and willpower. I still have about one overwhelming urge to smoke at least once per day, but it passes after a minute and I forget about it until the next one hits. It will probably never go away entirely. But I am in control now.

YOU CAN DO IT.
  • anna0306
    anna0306 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Crochet or knit. It keeps your hands busy. You can't smoke OR eat while crocheting. (Crocheting is very easy to learn and it's something you can do anywhere!) I couldn't have quit without it.
  • BewitchedBelinda99
    BewitchedBelinda99 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I was told drink lots of water and i chewed gum. Over 3 years now. Good luck x
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in 1990! I smoked a pack a day! After about a week I was able to taste food again. Then I enjoyed it too much hence the weight gain!
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've tried quitting smoking in the past...and had the same hardship. You just feel like your starving all the time, ya? I actually quit for about 4 months, but the stress of my husband being deployed and two little ones while stationed in Japan with no job, friends, or family finally caught up to me. Once I get nice and settled into my diet and workout routine again I plan to quit for good. My boys are older now and less dependant, and my husband won't be deploying anymore with his new job station.

What helped me before to quit was...drink lots of water (this will curb some of the "feeling hungry"), have lots of gum, keep busy...specifically your hands. I picked up making little keychain designs and characters with beads.

Quitting smoking alone is a very difficult task, even more so while trying to diet and lose weight. But, many have succeeded. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • meghanfleming855
    meghanfleming855 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I have since decided that cold turkey is not the way for me and went to my doctor and got champix. I am on day three and already cigarettes taste awful! Hope is in sight and I am staying under calorie goals. One small step at a time. Thanks ypu all for your advice and soon enough I will be cig free, Pleasent and at a comfortable weight :)