Rear End Hurts!

Options
I have been maintaining for a year now but I have had rear end pain for months. I believe it is from a lack of padding! The bones in my butt feel bruised :(

I have really burned a lot of fat in the nether regions and have been tightening and lifting successfully (won't talk about my belly though) ... It hurts though to sit any length of time unless I am at home in my comfy recliner. I have rigged my desk at work so I can stand most of the time but there are times when sitting is required and short of carrying a seat pad everywhere I go, do you guys have any suggestions?

Friends say it is a good problem to have but from where I am sitting (ha ha), it is painful. We will be having a road trip vacation in a few months and I am dreading it ...

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    You just have to adapt and be prepared! Seat cushions, pillows, blanket, coats, etc. will become your friends. I always keep a seat cushion, a blanket, and an extra jacket in my truck. That way if I'm going to be sitting for a while, say at a grandchild's game or event, I have a cushion to sit on.
  • notcorky
    notcorky Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bursitis?
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It could be high hamstring/hip tendonitis, I struggle with it myself.
  • successgal1
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My tailbone hurts. I blame it on lack of padding like you but also from my healthrider. I use it less these days and if I do I use a small pillow. Pillow on the couch too helps.
  • moonchildisme
    moonchildisme Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I too have been having this problem, better than to wide I say.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If it hurts there is something wrong, you don't just get pain for no reason even if you have less padding.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If it hurts there is something wrong, you don't just get pain for no reason even if you have less padding.

Sure you do, have you ever lost a significant amount of body fat? Those bones that used to have 2-3 inches of fat padding them were gone, and sitting was incredibly uncomfortable. I hated it. I've put fat back on there now, but am not looking forward to the discomfort of sitting again once I get back to my goal.

OP- my suggestion is build muscle on your backside. After I lost my butt via fat, I decided I wanted the size back and built it up with muscle. It didn't help a huge amount, those bones still felt bruisy and sore especially after firm seats like bleachers. But I noticed it much less with the muscle helping.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

Sure you do, have you ever lost a significant amount of body fat? Those bones that used to have 2-3 inches of fat padding them were gone, and sitting was incredibly uncomfortable. I hated it. I've put fat back on there now, but am not looking forward to the discomfort of sitting again once I get back to my goal.

OP- my suggestion is build muscle on your backside. After I lost my butt via fat, I decided I wanted the size back and built it up with muscle. It didn't help a huge amount, those bones still felt bruisy and sore especially after firm seats like bleachers. But I noticed it much less with the muscle helping.

Yes, almost 25% in fact. I went from about 32% to as little as 8% and that means much less padding than most women. I never had any issues. It's a lot like a massage, if it hurts you have an issue, unless you are sitting on a hard wood chair for several hours, which I'm doubting this is the case because that's going to hurt even if you have a significant amount of padding.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It could be high hamstring/hip tendonitis, I struggle with it myself.

Thanks for sharing the videos in your other replies ... the hamstring thing just might be what the issue is. I have always struggled with properly warming them up and experience tightness often. The guy in the video points to exactly where I hurt. When I get my yearly physical in two weeks, I will ask about this and in the meantime do a little more research into stretching for that area.
  • rhtexasgal
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »

The good news is that I am building muscle. Each week, I notice a slight change in how the seat of my pants fit! My rear actually has a shape and is slowing lifting, causing some bagginess in the pants seat area. I compared pictures of my rear (and measurements) from last year at this time and things have definitely changed.
  • rhtexasgal
    Options
    I appreciate all of your comments ... it helps having suggestions to narrow things down for research. I tend to go off on tangents online if I don't have a good focus on what to look for :) In the meantime, I will invest in something to sit on for the car and perhaps for the bikes in the gym as I use them at least once a week and it hurts to sit on them.

I just realized too that because I have auto-immune issues from ulcerative colitis and proctitis and constant low grade inflammation, this could be a contributing factor. It takes me a lot long to recover from weight training sessions due to the soreness.
  • successgal1
    Options
    I picked up a foam roller (Bally brand) and now I roll out my butt and outer hips from the waist down and then the rest of my hamstring before a workout, it really helps get those deep areas loose and blood circulating. When they are tight we may not know it but it can lead to improper form, and the best thing that helps is strengthening the hamstring correctly. I'm about to steal my dogs xtra large size tennis ball to get really deep. He prefers a football anyway, lol.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I have been maintaining for a year now but I have had rear end pain for months. I believe it is from a lack of padding! The bones in my butt feel bruised :(

I have really burned a lot of fat in the nether regions and have been tightening and lifting successfully (won't talk about my belly though) ... It hurts though to sit any length of time unless I am at home in my comfy recliner. I have rigged my desk at work so I can stand most of the time but there are times when sitting is required and short of carrying a seat pad everywhere I go, do you guys have any suggestions?

Friends say it is a good problem to have but from where I am sitting (ha ha), it is painful. We will be having a road trip vacation in a few months and I am dreading it ...

Your "comfy recliner" is the likely culprit -- or it was for me. Soft, squishy surfaces make my butt hurt, but if I am on a firm supported surface, I do much better. My daughter has your problem as well but I think her problem is more of a sciatic nerve issue. There are exercises for that if that is your problem.
  • successgal1
    Options
    As for inflammation... I also struggle with that in my neck and having shoulder bursitis from a car accident. I take turmeric and ginger regularly. I take advil and other OTC stuff only as needed. I started retaking (because I'm a slacker and can never remember all those other pills), my glucosamine chondroiton MSM supplement, apparently the MSM can have beneficial effect, I think it was something to do with helping with protein. I also have cissus on hand but it didn't do much for me on another issue so I'm just taking it until the bottle is empty. And lastly, I've always heard good things about bromelain, haven't tried it myself but I'll probably pick some up next time I think of it, something along the lines of it helping to remove scar tissue (the adhesions causing some stiffness).

Sorry I'm not real technical, I was reading this late last night.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yep! When I lost weight I realized why my super skinny sons squat on their heels instead of on their bottoms. My dad had that same problem when he got very thin. Pillows are wonderful things.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My butt has plenty of padding still but its my dang tail bone...ouch!
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was sitting our concrete porch the other day when I tryed to get up my legs didn't cooperate so I fell back on my but, I could feel the Bone hit the concrete. There's a pretty bad bruise there.It'll be the last. time I sit on that porch. If that had happened 5 monthes ago there would be no evidence it happened
  • crayonbreakywillow
    crayonbreakywillow Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep! I've felt like my tailbone has been bruised ever since I lost the weight! Started maintenance in 2013, I still have tailbone issues, but it's much less painful now. I try to sit so that I'm not putting lots of pressure on it and I use a coccyx pillow at home.