My very boring treadmill.

Options

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I watch series of movies. So far I've gone through Twilight, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and now I'm on the Back to the Future series. I prefer movies with sequels for the treadmill because then I actually want to watch to get to the next part. Silly, I know, but it works. Otherwise I'd be the number-watching-freak! I absolutely cannot fathom the treadmill without the distraction. Before my fabulous husband mounted the TV in front of the treadmill I listened to music on my phone (not my fav distraction for treadmill) or even streamed netflix on the tiny screen. Anything is better than the number....anything. I can't read on the treadmill or I'll fall down and injure or kill myself - so I always go with watching movies :)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If you can put a TV in front of your treadmill, that'd be ideal. I don't have that option, so I use my iPad to play music when I'm running (I live in a cold climate and I'll be damned if I'm going outside when its 14 degrees and dark so I can run!). I tried the podcast thing once but the talking didn't really do it for me when I'm trying to push through on an exhausting run, but music seems to keep my energy up and keep me pumped!

I like the cover the clock/numbers thing, too. I tend to glance down too often and really try to avoid the whole clock-watching phenomenon (plus it tilts my neck down and makes my back hurt when I'm running!), so I may try that next time out! Good hint, thanks!
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like being "Runner 5". It is a phone app that puts you as a courier in England after a zombie outbreak has claimed the Isle. There is a C2K for a few bucks but the base app is free. After you go on your walk/run you pick up supplies. You then log into your pc and use the supplies outfit your base. There is a story behind it all and I think they are on season 3 now. I am not going to name names, to push a product, so send me a PM if you want more info or just search for the player's callsign, Runner 5.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    danacondah wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss! While my first instinct is to say GO OUTSIDE... I understand you aren't living with above average conditions... so here's my advice...

1. If you're not listening to music, start.
    2. Make sure the music is super awesome and you want to sing along but you can't because your working out so hard and getting sexy that you can barely breathe.
    3. Trying changing up the brisk walk... make it interesting... walk for 2 min, jog for 1. Vary between different inclines. Try skipping (killer on the calves).
    4. Cover the numbers with a towel. Bye bye numbers.

All of this!!! I have a Rob Zombie station on Pandora that I blast, trying to match my pace with the beat of the music. It's not perfect, but the energy boost I get from LOUD heavy metal is awesome! I also will sometimes do a warm-up of 3 mph for 5 min, run at 5-5.5 mph for a mile, walk another 5 minutes, etc.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I also cover my display with a towel or something or I'll number watch. To pass the time, there are a few things I do:

-listen to podcasts
    -listen to music (I tend to really get in to the song and move my legs to the beat and before I know it, the song is over and 3 minutes have already passed)
    -watch youtube videos (my favorite youtube videos to watch are health/fitness/weight loss related ones that really get me motivated)
    -watch anything on netflix
    -Start a running program (this is my top recommendation if it's something you're interested in. Couch 2 5K is amazing and starts with alternating running and walking. There's a timer for walking and running. While you're walking, you're getting pumped up ready to run and before you know it, it's time to run. Then while you're running, time just flies by and it's time to walk again. before you realize it, 30 minutes have gone by!)

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Intervals. Plus consider making it challenging enough that you cannot read (or knit)! LOL

I don't really get this comment (well, the knitting, yeah.) I can still read just fine while on a three mile tempo run (an 8:00 to 8:30 min/mile for me right now) or a regular old six or seven miler if the font is big enough. I mean, I'm not speed-reading and I typically read pretty fluffy stuff while I'm on the treadmill, not capital-L Literature that requires a ton of brainpower to comprehend, but still.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Music that moves the soul...and Netflix..........
  • Haltermania
    Haltermania Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    danacondah wrote: »
    Congrats on your loss! While my first instinct is to say GO OUTSIDE... I understand you aren't living with above average conditions... so here's my advice...

1. If you're not listening to music, start.
    2. Make sure the music is super awesome and you want to sing along but you can't because your working out so hard and getting sexy that you can barely breathe.
    3. Trying changing up the brisk walk... make it interesting... walk for 2 min, jog for 1. Vary between different inclines. Try skipping (killer on the calves).
    4. Cover the numbers with a towel. Bye bye numbers.

i agree with her, i jam to my music and put on some old school music i havent heard in awhile to keep it fresh.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Intervals. Plus consider making it challenging enough that you cannot read (or knit)! LOL

I don't really get this comment (well, the knitting, yeah.) I can still read just fine while on a three mile tempo run (an 8:00 to 8:30 min/mile for me right now) or a regular old six or seven miler if the font is big enough. I mean, I'm not speed-reading and I typically read pretty fluffy stuff while I'm on the treadmill, not capital-L Literature that requires a ton of brainpower to comprehend, but still.

Same here wrt reading at higher speeds. (Also a fluff reader while on the treadmill.)
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Like several others here, I listen to the Zombies, Run! app, combined with music (Pandora Classic Rock Power Workout station). I was recently delighted that my gym has some new treadmills with scenic videos on the console. It gives me something to look at that isn't the timer.
  • backontheattack
    backontheattack Posts: 3,178 Member
    Options
    I download movies to watch on my tablet when running. The rule is, I don't get to watch the movie if I am not on the treadmill. I always want to know what happens at the end of the movie, so it is motivation for me.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I go insane if i have to watch the numbers. I cover them with a towel except during interval training...then you need to watch and it is all about getting to the next break. Also super awesome updated playlists help tremendously.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Could always brush up on your sweet dance moves...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLfUgXcvq4g

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Pinterest, search treadmill workouts. Tons of different workouts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill to be deadly boring, too. I like running outside more. When I first started I feared the boredom so I was ready to try anything. I bought this:

http://www.bluegoji.com/

Treadmill for gamers. But I don't use it as much as I did in the beginning.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Rosetta Stone audio. I reviewed 5 levels of RS over 3 years. When I finished my language I got a stationary bike and watch TV. But I couldn't watch TV when I jogged. I ran and got to study every morning. It was great.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm sorry. I don't have the inner resources for treadmill!
    If I absolutely had to do it I would need either TV/movies, or move it outside to a porch or something.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    I actually enjoyed walking/running on the treadmill at my previous gym and if/when we get a treadmill, I want to set up a similar scenario.

There, each treadmill had a TV so I could plug in my earbuds, select the show I wanted to watch, and then walk briskly while the show was on ... and run during the commercial.

30-60 min went by in no time. :)

I do the same thing with my bicycle on the trainer.

Commercial intervals.