Weight of before/after cooking meat!

Options
sunlover89
sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
I just cooked some pork belly. Before cooking it was 300g, after I boiled then pan fried it it was 180g. Do I use the before or after weight? On the packet it says next to the nutritional information "pan fried", so I'm not sure whether it's saying per 100g raw or cooked...

Replies

• DCruz83
    DCruz83 Posts: 99
    Options
    I've always wondered myself but if the packet lists nutritional info after being cooked, I'd go with the cooked weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Before, unless the packaging says otherwise...for example, bacon will usually say something like "Two fried slices." Otherwise, it's before.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Thing is on the packet it says "per 100g panfried" but i'm not sure if that is just a cooking suggestion or the actual nutrition content per 100g cooked. Hmm
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Check 'servings per package' and use that to figure it out. I prefer to use raw meat figures if I can get them because that's how I generally buy it.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Thing is on the packet it says "per 100g panfried" but i'm not sure if that is just a cooking suggestion or the actual nutrition content per 100g cooked. Hmm

That, to me, indicates 100g cooked. I'd log 180g of delicious, delicious pork belly.

To answer your question: generally, I always weigh raw, except when it's something like bacon or, as the case may be, pork belly.