Homemade yogurt ?

Options
2»

Replies

• SiaB12
    SiaB12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I bought a yogurt maker (under $30 including shipping!). I made my second batch last night. I just follow the recipe for unflavored yogurt that's included in the manual. I add fruit & low fat granola when its done. I put the recipe on mfp to get the calories.
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    We make Yogurt everyday at home. No fancy appliance needed. Boil the milk, cool it until the milk is little warmer than our body temperature (test dipping a clean finger in the Milk). Add some yogurt which has good culture and mix it well. Leave it in the oven for about 6 to 8 hours without moving it. The right temperature and good culture is extremely important to make good yogurt.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    mohanj has it right.

Make sure you have a good starter culture. The end result of your yogurt is that it will taste like whatever your starter is.

My favorite is Kalona Supernatural Plain Crean Top. I buy it, but every once in awhile when I have extra milk and don't have time to run to the store to buy more yogurt, I use the remaining yogurt as a starter to make homemade yogurt.

Organic Valley's new Grassmilk yogurt is pretty good, too.
  • FitnessGirl11mfp
    FitnessGirl11mfp Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you all so much for all the awesome advice!!! Haven't tried it yet but I will soon!!
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recipes for homemade yogurt and how would I know the serving size and calories in order to log it ?
    I have a ton of leftover milk and I thought yogurt might be a good way of using it up.
    We make homemade yogurt all the time, we have a yogurt maker we got on Amazon and we buy small plain yogurt Greek style and use a tablespoon for the bacteria to make that type of yogurt. Takes 24 hours super simple and amazing. I'm Turkish we eat a ton of yogurt.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    My family makes it in much the same way mohanj and amusedmonkey described. We heat the milk, then let it cool down. Once it's cooled down we had a small amount of (already strained) Greek yogurt as a starter, dry milk, a little flavoring, and sugar. We have a yogurt maker so the yogurt is poured into separate jars. Based on how we make it, I'm often wondered how to calculate calories and macros. Would it simply just be adding up all of the milk, small amount of starter yogurt, and sugar? Or is there a loss somewhere?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Take the amount of milk calories + the starter.
    That is the calories for your yogurt ( when you didn't drain anything off)

The drain of liquid ( whey) is 1 calorie for each 4 grams less.
    So 400 gram of whey/liquid drain off is 100 calories less than your total milk and starter amount.
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've been making about a half gallon whole milk yogurt every two weeks - using this recipe - Super simple -

http://trinaholden.com/easiest-yogurt-recipe-ever/
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm tangy home made yogurt. I also have a yogurt maker. I think it was $25 on sale and included the jars and strainer. The instructions are easy to follow. Instead of yogurt starter I use freeze-dried yogurt starter, which I find more convenient. I like Yogourmet starter best.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about the whey thing (love making yogurt!), and this is what I learned: The whey that's strained off yogurt is "acid whey" (aka sour whey) and is primarily carbs. "Sweet whey," which is what's used in protein powder, comes from making hard cheeses if I remember correctly.

Link to USDA nutrition info for acid whey: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/101?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=35&offset=&sort=&qlookup=acid+whey
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    so like i said before

about 100 gram of whey is 25/26 calories
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    so like i said before

about 100 gram of whey is 25/26 calories

I was responding to the 1 or 2 people who said they save the whey because it's high in protein.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/good-eats/6-series/yogurt-good-milk-gone-bad.html
    I want to try this sometime. The base method and recipes to use the leftovers sound delicious!