White Rice

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Do you like white rice? Do you want to eat white rice? Does the amount of white rice fit in to your daily calorie and macronutritional goals?

If so, then sure, go for it.
    Try slow carbs instead...brown rice, wild rice, lentils, beans.
    I won't be eating white rice regularly, that's too "fast" a carb for me. I like to keep my blood sugar regulated. You can test your blood sugar at home during the day to see if that food is okay for you!

OP does not indicate that they suffer from a metabolic disorder that would require monitoring of blood sugars.

Neither did he say he doesn't. It's just my input based on the information given. You give your answer, I'll give mine, have a nice day!

but your answer has nothing to do with OP, as no medical condition was given...

and with all due respect your reasoning is wrong.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'd swap the white for vanilla drop the r from rice and add cream.

Vanilla rice cream.

you're welcome.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Wow - if I had 700 calories left over at the end of the night, I'd rather go with a bowl of ice cream! At least you get some fat and protein. And if you add fruit, you can increase its nutritional value too.

I love white rice, but that does seem like a LOT.

^^^This is the correct solution to the problem. But if you want a less optimal solution, then you eat that giant bowl of boring rice if you want.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    What about having some plain greek yogurt with a tablespoon of strawberry jam? I find the yogurt fills me up.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    Or better yet, filling out your whole day with enough calories that you don't have such an excess at the end of the night and are left feeling unsatisfied?
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    For weight loss/body composition, calories matter most, then macronutrients, then micronutrients, then nutrient timing, then supplements. It looks like you need to work on macros and micros a little more, but once you get those worked out, you can work on nutrient timing.

There's nothing wrong with white rice, or any carbohydrates. Eating too many will make you fat, which you know. But, after eating carbs, research shows that fat burn is inhibited for a while. That's fine, and normal; the way it's meant to be. The mechanics of this are complicated and involve insulin and so on, but there's an interesting implication here.

A great time to burn off fat is that long period of time when you're sleeping. So, once you get to the point where it's appropriate to consider nutrient timing, consider reducing carbohydrate consumption within several hours of going to bed. Instead, choose a slow absorbing protein like casein, or cottage cheese. These will keep you feeling full before bed, and you'll burn off fat throughout the night.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I always get super hungry around midnight. Would eating 3 cups of white rice be okay for weight loss? I plan to track the calories but I keep hearing that white rice will make you fat

It'll only make you fat if you consistently eat the calories in the white rice over your maintenance. The same with chicken or eggs or cauliflower.

Personally, I don't eat rice as much as I used to but if I had extra calories at the end of the day and got it in my mind I wanted rice, I'd be all over that like...well, you know. :)

• iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wow - if I had 700 calories left over at the end of the night, I'd rather go with a bowl of ice cream! At least you get some fat and protein. And if you add fruit, you can increase its nutritional value too.

I love white rice, but that does seem like a LOT.

I was thinking a big ole bowl of ice cream with a banana (or other fruit i just like bananas) myself. or a couple oreos and glass of cold milk. mmm.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    For weight loss/body composition, calories matter most, then macronutrients, then micronutrients, then nutrient timing, then supplements. It looks like you need to work on macros and micros a little more, but once you get those worked out, you can work on nutrient timing.

There's nothing wrong with white rice, or any carbohydrates. Eating too many will make you fat, which you know. But, after eating carbs, research shows that fat burn is inhibited for a while. That's fine, and normal; the way it's meant to be. The mechanics of this are complicated and involve insulin and so on, but there's an interesting implication here.

A great time to burn off fat is that long period of time when you're sleeping. So, once you get to the point where it's appropriate to consider nutrient timing, consider reducing carbohydrate consumption within several hours of going to bed. Instead, choose a slow absorbing protein like casein, or cottage cheese. These will keep you feeling full before bed, and you'll burn off fat throughout the night.

i would be curious if you have any literature about being asleep being "a great time to burn off fat" and also about eating protein before bed...

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Sounds gross (at least I thought so at first), but a warm bowl of white rice with milk, a bit of sweetener (I like vanilla flavored) and a bit of banana is really good!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I always get super hungry around midnight. Would eating 3 cups of white rice be okay for weight loss? I plan to track the calories but I keep hearing that white rice will make you fat
    White rice will not make you fat. Eating over your calories will make you fat.
    I always have 700 calories left after dinner so I was thinking I can just eat a bunch of rice because it does keep me full.
    While it sounds boring, if it keeps you full and on track over all, then definitely eat it. If you are open to future suggestions, maybe sub a cup of the rice for some veggies and beans and see how that feels. It wouldn't hurt to tweak your macros to get the maximum benefit from your diet while you're doing the weight loss thang.

• itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i would be curious if you have any literature about being asleep being "a great time to burn off fat" and also about eating protein before bed...

Read this: http://www.muscleforlife.com/protein-before-bed/

An article is the best I can do right now.

Also, note from this source that I might be wrong about carbs before bed; it likely doesn't matter as much as I previously read it did. And that's fine, learning is good.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Sounds gross (at least I thought so at first), but a warm bowl of white rice with milk, a bit of sweetener (I like vanilla flavored) and a bit of banana is really good!

Not gross. It sounds kind of like rice pudding....sorta. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Weigh the dried rice before cooking and measure it that way. "3 cups" is not very accurate and with something like that it would be very easy to go over on calories.

Personally I think if I had 700 calories left over I'd be able to find something a little more interesting than a pile of plain rice though

Chicken wings for the win!

I agree with that. Avoid the carbs before bed and go with a good protein source!!!!

Carb-heavy foods make me sleepy. I save carbs for before bed. Not 3 cups of rice worth, though, lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    I love rice. Even plain.

3 cups is a lot of rice. If it fits in your calories, go for it.

I really wonder what the rest of your meals and macronutrients are like though, if you have enough calories for 3 cups of pure carbs after dinner...

Cosigned.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

Same without the banana. I love it so much.

The issue with eating so much rice... you can easily eat 900 calories of it. You really have to weigh it dry first, or you could be completely off in your measurements.