Best exercises to tone up.

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone, I am 23 years old, female, weigh 276 lbs. I currently started dieting again and am trying to make major changes. Though I know some cardio would help, right now my schedule is pretty busy with going to school Mon-Fri and working every Saturday and Sunday. I would still like to tone up a little bit though and build some muscle at least if I'm not going to be doing cardio. I was just wondering which/what kind of exercises should I be looking for to tone my arms/legs/abs a bit? I know I won't be flat/muscular, but anything below extremely jiggly would be nice lol I've done weight lifting before, and it helps me build muscle, but I had a hard time actually seeing my arms look toned. By this I mean, I've had a personal trainer once before and did weight lifting with them, and though I hardly lost any weight at all, my legs/arms were extremely toned and looked so nice. I've tried repeating those exercises on my own, but I have never been able to achieve the same look. Any advice?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting or some sort of strength training, preferably full body with mostly compound movements. That "toned" look you want is a reduction in body fat, allowing your muscles to be more visible
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am 23 years old, female, weigh 276 lbs. I currently started dieting again and am trying to make major changes. Though I know some cardio would help, right now my schedule is pretty busy with going to school Mon-Fri and working every Saturday and Sunday. I would still like to tone up a little bit though and build some muscle at least if I'm not going to be doing cardio. I was just wondering which/what kind of exercises should I be looking for to tone my arms/legs/abs a bit? I know I won't be flat/muscular, but anything below extremely jiggly would be nice lol I've done weight lifting before, and it helps me build muscle, but I had a hard time actually seeing my arms look toned. By this I mean, I've had a personal trainer once before and did weight lifting with them, and though I hardly lost any weight at all, my legs/arms were extremely toned and looked so nice. I've tried repeating those exercises on my own, but I have never been able to achieve the same look. Any advice? [/quote]

Consistency is the key. There are a few apps out there that can help you decide what to work on which days and also the number of reps and weight to lift to work a particular body part. Since you mentioned your arms, there are a lot of exercises that can help - push ups, bench dips, free weights - curls, clean press (bar), pull/chin ups, and there are lots of machines at the gym that can also be useful. Best of luck! Hope this helps and good luck. Oh - the app I like is called 'JeFit'