sugar addicted?

Okay so I recently changed the settings on my food diary to include sugar and it's killing me! I think I might be sugar addicted because all of the foods that I love have sugar in them.

It feels like it's impossible to stay under 24 grams of sugar per day... especially if I have fresh fruit (a banana) or cereal for breakfast. If I stay under in sugar, I never have 1200 calories. Usually it's more like 800... which is bad. Even milk has sugar in it! Oh and also, I don't want to use sugar substitutes like splenda because I'm scared of that stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as how I can stay under? Do you know of any foods that have little to no sugar in them that are delicious and healthy? I need help! Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
:heart: Loretta

Replies

• squankish
    squankish Posts: 78 Member
    Okay so I recently changed the settings on my food diary to include sugar and it's killing me! I think I might be sugar addicted because all of the foods that I love have sugar in them.

It feels like it's impossible to stay under 24 grams of sugar per day... especially if I have fresh fruit (a banana) or cereal for breakfast. If I stay under in sugar, I never have 1200 calories. Usually it's more like 800... which is bad. Even milk has sugar in it! Oh and also, I don't want to use sugar substitutes like splenda because I'm scared of that stuff.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as how I can stay under? Do you know of any foods that have little to no sugar in them that are delicious and healthy? I need help! Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    :heart: Loretta
  • sr2000
    sr2000 Posts: 230 Member
    why are you supposd to stay under 24 grams? I'm just curious if you have to do this for a health condition or dr recommendation. Because as you mentioned sugar is found in so many foods. I understand trying to stay away from too much sugar sweetened foods, but it's nearly impossible to avoid natural sugars. And if it means not eating enough food/calories, that's not healthy.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Well I don't necesarily watch my sugar intake but I do think there is a definate difference between the sugar you find naturally in foods and the processed sugar. I personally try to stay away from the processed sugars and I definately stay away from the artificial sweetners. I like to use agave nectar whenever I can. It has a low GI index which is good if you are concerned about that.

I just checked one of the things I have had today and enjoy on a fairly regular basis. Yams for 1 cup it is only 1 gran if sugar. Pine nuts have no sugar and are 1 g fiber and 7 g protein. Very tasty when they are togethor.

Hope that helps:smile:
  • squankish
    I'm just going by what myfitnesspal recommends. Maybe they only mean processed sugars?
  • jcummings69
    jcummings69 Posts: 183
    Yea I can't imagine only 24 grams! An apple alone has 22 grams!
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    I'm not an expert on sugars, but I do try and research as much as I can on food chemistry, vitamins, carbs, proteins...ect!

One thing I have learned over the years is eat high fiber foods. I also do 1200 calories a day and eating high fiber foods is the only way I would survive. Steel Cut oat with fruit in the morning will keep me satisfied until lunch. Then it's lots of veggies for lunch and dinner, with a protein (chicken, fish...ect) :)
    Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

Here is a some links to a few websites that may help with your understanding of simple sugars and complex carbohydrates. The internet is full of information :)
    http://www.briancalkins.com/simplevscomplexcarb.htm

http://www.uen.org/Lessonplan/preview.cgi?LPid=1264
  • squankish
    Thanks for all of the replies! That actually helps a lot... so thank you thank you thank you! :drinker:
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    I thought it sounded silly the first time I heard it, but as you try to cut back on sugars, you will generally find that the desire for them is reduced. I once fasted from sweets for a month to see what would happen, and I completely lost the desire for them. so take heart....as you substitute healthy, high-fiber foods and good carbs, the sweet tooth is less and less of a problem!
  • squankish
    that's good to know! I really do think that it can be compared to addiction. I guess I just need to break the bad habit and then things will get easier.
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    i think as long as you steer clear of the unhealthy refined sugar then you shouldn't worry too much about the natural sugars coming from fruit etc. I don't worry too much!