Options
13»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^

I think this is a wise decision.
    Keep diary and weigh every day and average every 7, and see if this is a good number for you.
    Don't forget, as you lose weight you are going to need less calories.

I'm netting that at the moment and I'm 5'7" 130lbs and losing about a pound a month.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    torid10 wrote: »
    I am 5'3 and currently weigh about 175lbs. I am trying to lose right now, so that is why I am so confused as to why he would give me such a large number of calories to consume.

Ask him to explain his reasoning.

1600-1700 makes sense to me too (I am also 5'3 and active).
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I was mainly wondering if the calculator was not a reliable tool. I am set at 1 pound per week and calories are at 1300. I eat back about half of my exercise calories. I'm hoping to see some movement (inches or pounds) in the next week or so -- even a little bit. :)
  • VASMA63
    VASMA63 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Several points...(I am also a ACE GFI and and RRCA certified running coach). A trainer must be uber careful about giving nutrition advice unless he/she is also a registered dietician/nutritionist. With that being said, if you have a certified trainer with the knowledge and credentials to include nutrition in his/her scope of practice then you should have this talk with that person and express your confusion and fears. But, the bottom line for me is this - if you aren't going to listen to your trainer, then why are you going to him/her?
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Using this calculator, I should be averaging 2 pounds per/week based upon my consumption (2200-2400 cals). I have been averaging 3.5 pounds lost per/week since January 3 of this year.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Assuming the OP qualifies as "Extra Active" the 1 pound/week calorie number is 2384 (2/week is 1884). I think this suggests that the personal trainer may well be right.
  • bracey100
    bracey100 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my trainer yesterday and he was asking how much I was eating. He looked at my app and almost fell over. "You can't eat 1400 calories a day, you'll die!" So then he did some quick math and told me I need to be eating 2200 calories a day.

Does anyone have any advice on this? How am I going to be losing weight eating that many calories a day?

HELP!
    it all depends how big u r if u big big then he right if u under 15 stone then he wrong

• amandabdupont
    amandabdupont Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey, im a personal trainer,
    To make things very simple
    1) if you arent sure about that number your trainer gave you, ask them to explain it to you until you understand, its your body and your fitness journey you NEED to understand :)
    2) You will loose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit ( meaning buring 500 cals a day) either in food or in exercise. The more you exercise the less you have to "restrict" your calories.
    2.5) i tend to tell my clients that use myfitnesspal to enter alll their food first to make sure they are in their goal, then add the exercise after ( it will just lead to a bigger deficit)
    3) 2200 cal a day, all depends on your weight, height and age. So its very possible that 2200 cals is what you are suppose to be eating to function and still have a deficit.
    4) its also SO SO SO important to never go Under your Base metabolic rate-meaning your body needs a certain amount of calories/ nurtients to survive/live and function.
    Hope this helps
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Hey, im a personal trainer,
    To make things very simple
    1) if you arent sure about that number your trainer gave you, ask them to explain it to you until you understand, its your body and your fitness journey you NEED to understand :)
    2) You will loose weight as long as you have a calorie deficit ( meaning buring 500 cals a day) either in food or in exercise. The more you exercise the less you have to "restrict" your calories.
    2.5) i tend to tell my clients that use myfitnesspal to enter alll their food first to make sure they are in their goal, then add the exercise after ( it will just lead to a bigger deficit)
    3) 2200 cal a day, all depends on your weight, height and age. So its very possible that 2200 cals is what you are suppose to be eating to function and still have a deficit.
    4) its also SO SO SO important to never go Under your Base metabolic rate-meaning your body needs a certain amount of calories/ nurtients to survive/live and function.
    Hope this helps

If you read the full thread you will see that the OP has provided her stats and her BMR and TDEE has been calculated.
  • jennyloie1
    jennyloie1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and currently weigh about 175lbs. I am trying to lose right now, so that is why I am so confused as to why he would give me such a large number of calories to consume.

Are you active? Sedentary? Your exercise level plays a major part in this. I intake between 1300-1500 calories a day, but on days I workout harder, I'll replace the calories burned with vegetables, good fats, or a protein shake. Another commenter made the same point. You intake 1400, but I'd you burn 800, you need to replace that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    VASMA63 wrote: »
    Several points...(I am also a ACE GFI and and RRCA certified running coach). A trainer must be uber careful about giving nutrition advice unless he/she is also a registered dietician/nutritionist. With that being said, if you have a certified trainer with the knowledge and credentials to include nutrition in his/her scope of practice then you should have this talk with that person and express your confusion and fears. But, the bottom line for me is this - if you aren't going to listen to your trainer, then why are you going to him/her?

This is pretty much where I come from on this. My trainer has a masters degree in nutrition and I've worked pretty close with him on my diet and meal planning as well as my fitness. It took me a long time to find this guy and I have a great deal of trust in him and a solid relationship for which I can go to him with any questions or concerns I might have and he's always been willing to lay things out there for me.

At this point in our relationship, when he says jump, I say, "how high?"
  • always_smilin_D
    always_smilin_D Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Try this - which could be very possible is the formula that your trainer is using... I can't see your diary so I can't see what is your in vs out -- a lot of people do not believe in eating any calories of exercise back so what happens is, if you have your diary set at 1400 but you are burning lets say 700 calories during exercise then you are only fueling your body with 700 calories which might not be enough for the healthy long benefits - you might be lose fat but at some expense of healthy...

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

When calculating, use sedentary - this will allow you to know how much on the days you just have no other choice but to skip the gym but on the days that you do workout eat back some of the calories... if you want your NET intake to be no more than 1400 then you can do that... but you can't just eat 1400 if you are burning 700 of them...