***Warning*** Gross Topic

Options
When I started out to get into better health I weighed about 330 to 340 lbs. At this weight and eating as I did I would go to the bathroom (#2) at least twice daily and sometimes more often. As I have cut my food intake, lost weight and become more healthy, I am now finding that I often go a day or two with any bowel movements. I only starting getting worried now if I go three days with nothing. Is this normal? Anybody else noticed this kind of change?

Replies

• Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too--I've had the exact same change in my bathroom "patterns". I do think it will probably change again once I start a maintenance plan, but for now I figure I'm just not eating enough to need to use the bathroom that often, and I'm DEFINITELY not eating the awful things I used to eat when I weighed 250 lbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you eating vegetables, fruits, and enough fats?

Perhaps this is what is actually "normal" for you?
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Are you eating vegetables, fruits, and enough fats?

Perhaps this is what is actually "normal" for you?

I eat a pretty well rounded diet most days, lots of fruits and veggies. I usually do end the day a little low on fiber because I don't eat much in the way of grains. What veggies come with a lot of fiber?
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing and I've only been here 25 days.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Meh- its not "gross" - its life. As a chronic constipation sufferer - as in over a week at a time. o.0
    It wasnt until I kept my log to be able scroll thru and see my intake and check any food culprits. So after review I upped water, fiber to at least 35g a day and removed greek yogurt from my daily diet. (sad face)

I start my day with a big glass of water while my coffee brews, 2tsp of benefiber in my coffee- then a high fiber cereal. I like to mix Kashi Go Lean with Vanilla Clusters and Kelloggs all bran - theres 22g of fiber right there.
    I eat an apple every afternoon with PB2 and try to get a serving of green bean, broccoli and beans etc. Its been amazing and i now i get to "celebrate" <and i mean literally celebrate> every day!! LMAO

PS a day or two isnt really a cause for concern. But, you know your body.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you feel okay, it's probably not a problem.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    What's your fiber intake? I average 30 - 45 grams a day, and I'm as regular as NASA's atomic clock!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I agree with @I_Will_End_You , if you feel good than it's not a problem. However, you should try to get more fibre in!! Make sure to drink your 8 glasses of water a day, or more.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    BTW...not a gross topic....we ALL do it!!!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    BTW...not a gross topic....we ALL do it!!!

So true - even the Queen! Hard to picture though - I bet she has someone to make her a glass of Benefibre (I almost put beneful, but I think thats a dog food!) whenever she needs it!

Try a supplement if you are really worried about it, but as long as you are feeling well, and everything is still "moving along" you are most likely just experiencing your new normal.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, less in, less to come out!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Also remember to push the water. Fiber loves water but if you don't drink enough it can cause constipation. Its not uncommon after changing your diet to experience constipation, but if it doesn't resolve you should follow with your family doctor.
  • trinty425
    trinty425 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've noticed changes in the last month that I've started eating better as well.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    push the water... I never eat fruit (don't want the added sugar) and rarely eat vegetables (if I do its sweet potatoes).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I get 11 g of fiber with breakfast. As you can see, the flax and chia seeds are highest in fiber.

4a6j2mlytc25.jpg
  • crawlingfish
    crawlingfish Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    raspberries are actually very high in fiber, as are strawberries, carrots, beets, broccoli, swiss chard, collard greens, apples, and kale. you might consider adding flax meal or psyllium husk to your diet (in smoothies, etc.) if you still feel that your digestion could use some support
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Everybody has a different "normal"- for some people it's every day, for others it's every 2-3. As long as you're not experiencing discomfort between BMs or difficulty passing the stool when you do go, it's probably fine. Did you also cut out caffeine, by any chance? For some people, their morning caffeine triggers a BM and if they cut that out, it can become less strictly regulated.

It may simply be that you're eating less, and less greasy foods, and there's just less waste overall.

If you do increase fiber, do it gradually (no more than 10% every few days) and make sure to correspondingly increase your water intake, as fiber works to bulk your stool, making it easier to go, but if you're dehydrated or you retain stool for a long time, it can become hardened and difficult and painful to pass.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »
    push the water... I never eat fruit (don't want the added sugar) and rarely eat vegetables (if I do its sweet potatoes).

Berries are low in sugar and high on sweet. Even the low carbers here eat berries. Do you avoid sugar for a medical reason?

d71crz8unkj8.jpg
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Give your body some time to adjust? I'd be worried too, though. The older I get the more important I feel it is to have a BM every day.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Less volume in equals less output....